Pina Bausch died

Quiffaa

Love me outside Mzlicious
today, five days after cancer was diagnosed.
bp.jpg

I'm rather shocked.

Almost being as much of a fan of hers e' than of Morrissey i never got round to visit one of her dance shows.

One day will be farewell

bausch100_v-gross4x3.jpg

quotes
»Mich interessiert nicht, wie Menschen sich bewegen, sondern was sie bewegt.«

I do not care how people move,

I am interested in what moves people
bsmile.jpg

If you want to see swans, visit a zoo

bp1.jpg

Last edited:
Pina bausch July 27 1940-June 30.2009

bnelken-9911.jpg

my favourite work 'Carnations' [/B]
one of the most breathtaking designs in dance history - a stage carpeted with thousands of pink carnations and patrolled by alsation guard dogs, a collision of beauty and nightmare

Much of the material is carefully distilled from the dancers' own experiences ...
the dancer in the next video started to learn sign language because he fell in love with a deaf man

[youtube]Minsh1GJtlM&feature=related[/youtube]

he is standing on a black stage, behind him the accordionist walking through the carnations while he is signing the lyrics in wooing the deaf man he loves in real life
(Sophie Tucker, a bigger girl than some others and favourite of Moz sings,

This is the vid of him training for the dance
[youtube]8rK6TJyGAHw&feature=related[/youtube]

I wanted to learn this for a Karaoke, but feared to be booed at

her empirical way of working
"Pina asks questions, sometimes it's just a word or a sentence.
Copy someone else's tic.
Do something you are ashamed of.
Write your name with movement.
What would you do with a corpse?
Move your favourite body part.
How do you behave when you've lost something?
"Do something leading with your elbow."
"Spell Los Angeles with your body."

Each of the dancers has time to think, then gets up and shows Pina his or her answer, either danced, spoken, alone, with partner, with props with everyone, whatever. Pina looks at it all, takes notes, thinks about it." Famously, Bausch refuses to discuss the work explicitly and in rehearsals never reveals its underlying themes or possible future direction: "Even the dancers have no idea, It's like a real big secret existing inside her - waiting, simmering, exploding."
Bausch treats sex lightly, but takes romance very seriously.

Last edited:
From Arias
bArienArias.jpg

Bausch is also celebrating the fact that the vulnerable and the childlike can have most fun.

Often this piece seems to take place between the cracks in the grown-up world. And while things may look huge and brutal to the men and women of Bausch's imagination, these people are also brilliant at losing themselves in subversive jokes, deluded fantasies, and hopeless romantic gesture. They are hilarious in their stubbornness and their show of energy -

As with much of Bausch's work, you know the alchemy of her imagination has started to function when you find yourself grinning fondly at her dancers, total strangers with whom she has made you feel oddly and tenderly intimate.

Last edited:
She worked with the same dancers for over 20 years, she reenacted 'Kontakthof' (Contact Yard) on loneliness/ flirting and gender issues with a cast which comprised retired performers aged between 58 and 77

[youtube]ks0mGfhNKVA&feature=related[/youtube]

snippets on her work
infusing humor with sadness.
inspiration for the movie Talk to Her, directed by Pedro Almodóvar.
Dance-theatre didn't really exist before she invented it."
Yet, from this improvised chaos, beauty bubbles to the surface
- the serene, semi-naked accordion player who roams through Carnations (1982);
or the poignant scene in Legend Of Chastity, first performed in 1979,
when a lone figure tells the
story of a goldfish trained to live on land that almost drowns when returned to the water.

b_pinabausch_nelken_jette_500-1.jpg

Last edited:
Even more intriguing is the fact that all of this has been achieved by a woman who is, at least on the surface, shy and reticent. Dressed invariably in dark tones, always sucking on a Camel cigarette or draining a cup of coffee, Bausch speaks in a low, halting, gentle voice. Tankard recalls: "When I first came to Wuppertal, I spoke absolutely no German, but I did notice that there there was one word she kept saying again and again: ' vielleicht .' And I thought this must be a word that meant a lot to her whole approach. So I asked one of the others what it meant, and it turned out that ' vielleicht ' was the German for 'maybe'."

As the company prepares to occupy Sadler's Wells with Masurca Fogo, she is creating a new piece, under her usual working title of A Work By Pina Bausch. "It is very difficult," she whispers. "At this point, I don't know anything, I just can hope. I feel my way and try not to be afraid. It is not just that the dancers don't know where we are going, it is that I don't know where we are going also. It is not just that they have to trust me, I have to trust myself too."

opening the workl 'Only you' is a dancer reclining across the backs of several men and purring, "Excuse me, I'm naked under all my clothes."
interview
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/2002_05_fri_02.shtml
A woman drinks from a bottle and turns herself into a living fountain, spraying the water from her mouth over a man who washes himself in the flow. It's a scene from a work by Pina Bausch - one of the most challenging choreographers in the dance world today.

Masurca Fogo, an upbeat work set in Lisbon depicting the danger and promise of love, her dancers shoot along a polythene waterslide and dance dressed only in red balloons and high heels

Even if you are not into Dance theatre ...

i dare you to find sth more moving than
this dance to the Purcell aria from act III of Dido and Aeneas
that many of us know as 'the cold song' that Kaus Nomi sang on the introduction of many shows of Morrissey

Thy hand, Belinda,
darkness shades me,
On thy Bosom let me rest,
More I would, but Death invades me.
Death is now a welcome guest.
When I am laid in Earth,
may my Wrongs create
No trouble in thy Breast;
Remember me, but ah! forget my Fate. (III.2)

[youtube]dtqrqjERhkQ&feature=related[/youtube]

please fast forward to 3:30,

contrasting the violent chair crashing
and the breathtaking dance of Dominique Mercy,
you might not like the particular tensed way Pina Bausch moves here but still worth to see it till the end

Tags
pina bausch tanztheater
Back
Top Bottom