Photos of Morrissey at Nico's grave, Berlin - Morrissey Central

From the Morrissey Central Gallery.

As posted by SER.

43130_nico-berlin1.jpg

43129_nico-berlin2.jpg

EDIT: Jesse's Instagram story confirms that he too is in Berlin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...Amazing.:guitar:
Morrissey doesn't play cemetry gits that often.

Many artists have some degree of narcissistic behaviours hence their opioid/alcohol addictions, violence and casual disgust of others. They hate when folk they come across in their everyday lives whether for example partners or housekeepers throw a mirror up to their behaviours or short comings.
From the Wikipedia article on Nico:

Nico was described by some friends and colleagues as racist. Her friend Danny Fields, the American journalist who helped her sign to Elektra Records, described her as "Nazi-esque", saying: "Every once in a while there'd be something about Jews and I'd be, 'But Nico, I'm Jewish,' and she was like 'Yes, yes, I don't mean you.' She had a definite Nordic Aryan streak, [the belief] that she was physically, spiritually and creatively superior", a view she appears to have continued to maintain throughout her later years. According to Fields, in the early 70s, Nico attacked a mixed-race woman at the Chelsea Hotel with a smashed wineglass, saying "I hate black people" while attempting unsuccessfully to gouge out the victim's eyeball. She left the country the next morning and no charges were laid.

During a performance in Berlin, the audience rioted after Nico performed the German national anthem "Deutschlandlied", including a verse omitted since 1945 for its nationalist associations. However, Nico dedicated this performance to militant Andreas Baader, leader of the anti-fascist Red Army Faction.

Who am I to say that the dedication to Baader was most likely intended ironically.

Nico was described by some friends and colleagues as racist. Her friend Danny Fields, the American journalist who helped her sign to Elektra Records, described her as "Nazi-esque", saying: "Every once in a while there'd be something about Jews and I'd be, 'But Nico, I'm Jewish,' and she was like 'Yes, yes, I don't mean you.' She had a definite Nordic Aryan streak, [the belief] that she was physically, spiritually and creatively superior", a view she appears to have continued to maintain throughout her later years. According to Fields, in the early 70s, Nico attacked a mixed-race woman at the Chelsea Hotel with a smashed wineglass, saying "I hate black people" while attempting unsuccessfully to gouge out the victim's eyeball. She left the country the next morning and no charges were laid.

During a performance in Berlin, the audience rioted after Nico performed the German national anthem "Deutschlandlied", including a verse omitted since 1945 for its nationalist associations. However, Nico dedicated this performance to militant Andreas Baader, leader of the anti-fascist Red Army Faction.

Who am I to say that the dedication to Baader was most likely intended ironically.

She sounds lovely, doesn’t she? Blimey. She’d be in Momentum these days.

I’ve never quite seen the attraction. The three lead vocals she contributed to the VU & Nico album were clearly iconic and impossible to imagine without her, but the vast bulk of her solo output was approaching dire.

That wounded foghorn voice is fine in small doses, but I wouldn’t listen to it for fun. There’s more than a touch of the Yoko Ono about her. Bumped into the right people at the right time. I can appreciate them both for being unique, and at the same time be extremely grateful they were.

I’ve never quite seen the attraction. The three lead vocals she contributed to the VU & Nico album were clearly iconic and impossible to imagine without her, but the vast bulk of her solo output was approaching dire.

Her first solo LP, Chelsea Girl, is quite OK, with the help of Jackson Browne and her VU colleagues. The harmonium ones, less so...

Nice photos and he’s looking good but I gotta agree about the glasses. I would have said Elton john glasses but no they’re no good

Her first solo LP, Chelsea Girl, is quite OK, with the help of Jackson Browne and her VU colleagues. The harmonium ones, less so...

Fairest and These Days are the solo ones I have on my phone. Add the VU tracks and that’s really all you need in my opinion.

I suppose Warhol and Reed liked her initially because she channelled that sort of faded Weimar chic, and later artists championed her because of both that and the 60s cutting edge NYC Factory thing.

Anyway...

Is it just me who finds the whole 'resting your bodyweight on a gravestone' thing a bit - sort of - distasteful? :/

I agree. It is a bit, isn’t it? I definitely think he should have left the headstone there.

I don’t like treading on the ground around graves, and I certainly wouldn’t cuddle one. The back of my house overlooks a cemetery and there’s some odd stuff goes on there at night. It says “rest in peace” on every stone in there and at the weekends it’s just pissheads, parties and teenage shaggers.

I mean, I’ve been up for a shag, but not on top of someone’s Aunt Nelly.

Nico was described by some friends and colleagues as racist. Her friend Danny Fields, the American journalist who helped her sign to Elektra Records, described her as "Nazi-esque".

:laughing:
Aaaaah, yes, the gouging of black ladies' eyes. I remember they tried to introduce it at the 1936 Olympic Games, but sadly the world wasn't ready. Will it ever be.
I personally never listened to Nico. After reading this, I don't think I ever will. Oh, no, it's not that, I really enjoy "Carmina Burana" . I am just not very drawn to nazi female singers who look like blokes.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom