panic attacks

morrisseychic

Seasick Yet Still Docked
Does anyone suffer from panic attacks or anxiety? Lately I've been sooo stressed. My heart races, I have a to catch my breath, I'm dizzy , and feel nauseaus.

I do. Sometimes I can get anxious if I am stressing out too much. I also have anxiety attacks relating to other health issues I have. I have a lot of stomach problems, and when I am feeling really grossed out and sick I find I get anxious. The anxiety attacks actually started when my stomach problems started.

I know what you''re talking about. I feel better now though. Be advised to seek help if it continues to be problem.

When I was a bit younger I was really really anxious and I couldn't wait for things to happen.
The only way I found to solve this problem was to control myselF. I learnt it by myself.
But panic attacks I have never suffered however I was really shy... I WAS.. then I'm not like this anymore.

I really do hope you get it over... quite soon, friend.

I do. For me, the worst part is feeling like I'm unable to catch my breath. I've gone to the ER a couple times convinced that I was having a heart attack (I'm only 25) or that my throat was somehow going to swell shut & I was going to die. My doctor gave me Ativan for my panic attacks but it only helps slightly. My "attacks" usually don't last more than a few minutes so whenever I feel one coming on, it helps to remind myself that it's only temporary & that I will feel "normal" again soon. I hope you feel better & are able to get over this soon. Take care.

I used to get them when I was in college and still feel one coming on occasionally when I'm extremely stressed. I was a psychology major and just happened to have studied anxiety in a class recently when it happened the first time, so I recognized it for was it was after it was over but that first one was absolutely terrifying. Ever since then I've managed to talk myself down when I felt one building by forcing myself to take deep slow breaths, repeating in my mind (or out loud if it helps) that I'm fine, I'm not going to die, it's just a panic attack, and finding some short repetitive task to do.

Like, if I'm in the car when it happens I pull over and switch radio stations and make myself really focus on what's being said for about 30 seconds, then switch again and repeat. If you're near a TV or computer or can pick up something to read doing something similar might help. Short moments of very intense focus on something arbitrary, anything you can think of, that can break up the OMGOMGOMG is the idea here. Keep in mind that you're basically trying to reboot your brain, but it requires a huge amount of concentration and the ability to distance oneself from the feelings even just a tiny bit to begin to take back control. Try something like this a couple of times but if it doesn't feel like it's working then see a Dr. If it's interfering with your life it's worth it to take medication or whatever else you have to do in order to get better. Best of luck.

Last edited:
I used to get them when I was in college and still feel one coming on occasionally when I'm extremely stressed. I was a psychology major and just happened to have studied anxiety in a class recently when it happened the first time, so I recognized it for was it was after it was over but that first one was absolutely terrifying. Ever since then I've managed to talk myself down when I felt one building by forcing myself to take deep slow breaths, repeating in my mind (or out loud if it helps) that I'm fine, I'm not going to die, it's just a panic attack, and finding some short repetitive task to do.

Like, if I'm in the car when it happens I pull over and switch radio stations and make myself really focus on what's being said for about 30 seconds, then switch again and repeat. If you're near a TV or computer or can pick up something to read doing something similar might help. Short moments of very intense focus on something arbitrary, anything you can think of, that can break up the OMGOMGOMG is the idea here. Keep in mind that you're basically trying to reboot your brain, but it requires a huge amount of concentration and the ability to distance oneself from the feelings even just a tiny bit to begin to take back control. Try something like this a couple of times but if it doesn't feel like it's working then see a Dr. If it's interfering with your life it's worth it to take medication or whatever else you have to do in order to get better. Best of luck.

It is wonderful to exchange expiriences about things. I'm pretty sire your words are gonna help so many peopple here. I can imagine how terrible must be in panic attacks then I'm glad that people are help each other to improve themselves.

Back
Top Bottom