Omega Auctions: October auction contains potentially unheard material

I've only just got to this.

There are some really interesting cassettes listed in the auctions. Nerds assemble!

THE SMITHS - WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE/HAVE I - SMILE MUSIC LTD DEMO CASSETTE
What is the track Have I?

THE SMITHS - EDEN STUDIOS DEMO CASSETTE (BEFORE FIRST ALBUM)
Eden Studios was where the debut album was put together from the various studio sessions. Would the versions on the cassette be the same as the released versions of the album?

THE SMITHS - ASK REMIX - DEMO CASSETTE
There was only one version of Ask until 2001, but this cassette is dated 1986. I wonder what this is?

THE SMITHS - 'LIVE AT KILBURN' (RANK) - DEMO CASSETTES
Two 60 minute cassettes, but the runtime of Rank is 55 mins so maybe this has some of the other tracks?

THE SMITHS - MAYFAIR RECORDING STUDIOS DEMO CASSETTES
Two cassettes including remixes of Half a Person. Probably subtly different from the released versions, but perhaps not.

THE SMITHS - OXFORD 1985 DEMO CASSETTE (BBC FINAL MIXES)
Never officially released but some high quality bootlegs exist. I don't recall if the bootlegs included all songs from this gig.

THE SMITHS - HOW SOON IS NOW - DEMO CASSETTE
Includes an instrumental, which hasn't been released has it?

THE SMITHS - THE SMITHS - ORIGINAL TROY TATE SESSIONS DEMO CASSETTE
Ah... the pandora's box that is the Troy Tate sessions. Whatever this version is it's likely to be first gen and mixes that Troy Tate wanted Geoff to hear. Dare I say the 'definitive' version?

All the estimates are pretty reasonable. I'd love to hear some of these so wouldn't mind buying a few, but I have no interest in the artefact itself so perhaps there's a smart way of getting these into the hands of the masses?

Paging @Famous when dead.

Last edited:
Namely: Oxford & Smile cassettes.
FWD.

I've never seen anyone so demonized without any kind of mitigation - not one article wondering if he's lost his mind - straight to he's a horrible person.
Have you finally given up on "he's misunderstood"?

According to a reply by Omega via a rarities collecting site on FB, the (Smile?) tape was played and a female voice was found to be singing on it.
Regards,
FWD.

Further:
20200914_184002.jpg

According to a reply by Omega via a rarities collecting site on FB, the (Smile?) tape was played and a female voice was found to be singing on it.
Regards,
FWD.

That is hilarious, clearly those bidding serious money hadn't done their homework. I did think it was strange that (if I recall correctly) there wasn't a single mention of The smiths on the tape or inlay.

edt: I wonder what was wrong with the Oxford recording?

“the other tapes are very much what they appear to be with some incredible remixes/different versions of tracks.”

:sleeping:

Now that the hope and possibility of hearing a never before heard Smiths song is now dashed. it’s difficult to be excited by things that we already know more or less. Unless there’s different lyrics, not much to look forward to. :(

There was another woman who recorded Smiths songs with Marr, Rourke and Joyce, but they were never released. Can't remember her name offhand.

Yes, I remember too, but not the name. Of course, if Have I is a Morrissey/Marr composition, would still like to hear it. Maybe things will be sorted out so it goes back up on sale, someday.

There was another woman who recorded Smiths songs with Marr, Rourke and Joyce, but they were never released. Can't remember her name offhand.

Amanda Malone?

Morrissey, in an apparent attempt to repeat the top 30 success of the version of "Hand In Glove" the band recorded with '60s icon Sandie Shaw, cut covers of Smiths classics "This Charming Man" and "Girl Afraid" with the then 18-year-old Malone at sessions described by guitarist Johnny Marr as "comical". The band's label, Rough Trade, were similarly unimpressed, and refused to release the proposed on-off single.

"It was terrible" says Amanda Hallay (as Malone's known today - se now works as a writer and fashion editor in Paris). "Prior to that I'd been singing in the bathroom and then suddenly I found myself in this really intimidating studio. Morrissey came into the recording booth and sang along with me the first time to keep my nerves at bay and to give me the starting note. I was that lame!"

Amanda Malone?

Morrissey, in an apparent attempt to repeat the top 30 success of the version of "Hand In Glove" the band recorded with '60s icon Sandie Shaw, cut covers of Smiths classics "This Charming Man" and "Girl Afraid" with the then 18-year-old Malone at sessions described by guitarist Johnny Marr as "comical". The band's label, Rough Trade, were similarly unimpressed, and refused to release the proposed on-off single.

"It was terrible" says Amanda Hallay (as Malone's known today - se now works as a writer and fashion editor in Paris). "Prior to that I'd been singing in the bathroom and then suddenly I found myself in this really intimidating studio. Morrissey came into the recording booth and sang along with me the first time to keep my nerves at bay and to give me the starting note. I was that lame!"

How did he meet her?

🤒

BOGUS CASSETTE PEEPS:censored:
as advised by myself🧐
since i spotted many incompatible features🤬
the Flathead rough trade troll DELETED his account probably on his way to
to the 🐤 islands with a huge sack full of fivers🧗‍♂️

I thought you meant Kirsty MacColl. I'd forgotten about Amanda Malone!

I agree that there's probably not much of interest in the remaining cassettes, at least from the point of view of unreleased recordings. Subtly different mixes perhaps, but not like the gems that were found on the Demos and Outtakes bootleg taken from the scrapped Very Best and Queen Is Dead special editions.

Not sure why they pulled the cassette of Oxford. Maybe the tape was empty? Here's a high quality BBC recording of that gig, in case anyone wants it.

How did he meet her?

"Morrissey had first met 18 year-old, self-confessed ‘60s freak’ Amanda Malone during their recent trip to New York. Malone was working in the Danceteria office alongside the venue’s promoter Ruth Polsky, though admits she would sometimes brave the stage and sing. ‘Ruth said, “There’s a band coming over called The Smiths”,’ recalls Malone. ‘I’d never heard of them but nobody in the States had much notion of them then. She said, “I think you’ll really like them because they’re really into 60s stuff too”, so I thought they sounded cool.’
Possibly on account of a shared birthday (22nd May), Morrissey and Malone bonded during a special ‘Welcome to New York’ dinner party organised by Polsky. By the time the group headed home a few days later, their singer would entice Malone with a rash if irresistible proposition. ‘It was Morrissey’s idea really. He said, “Why don’t you come over to England and make a record with us”. I was just a kid, I wanted to be a pop star so I thought, “Wow! This is brilliant!” So a few months later I went to England to do just that."

Edit: taken from Songs That Saved Your Life

Last edited:
"Morrissey had first met 18 year-old, self-confessed ‘60s freak’ Amanda Malone during their recent trip to New York. Malone was working in the Danceteria office alongside the venue’s promoter Ruth Polsky, though admits she would sometimes brave the stage and sing. ‘Ruth said, “There’s a band coming over called The Smiths”,’ recalls Malone. ‘I’d never heard of them but nobody in the States had much notion of them then. She said, “I think you’ll really like them because they’re really into 60s stuff too”, so I thought they sounded cool.’
Possibly on account of a shared birthday (22nd May), Morrissey and Malone bonded during a special ‘Welcome to New York’ dinner party organised by Polsky. By the time the group headed home a few days later, their singer would entice Malone with a rash if irresistible proposition. ‘It was Morrissey’s idea really. He said, “Why don’t you come over to England and make a record with us”. I was just a kid, I wanted to be a pop star so I thought, “Wow! This is brilliant!” So a few months later I went to England to do just that."

I wonder if Moz actually thought it would be a good strategy in order to break The Smiths in America by having an American sing their songs?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom