Old wives tales

hatfull

HIM-full
A few of us seem to be suffering with some kind of illness, and I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we could give any pearls of wisdom that have been passed down to us to cure any ills, or any other old wives tales you've heard that have amused you. I used to be told that if you had a wart, you should cut a potato, and rub the cut side over it. You should then bury it in the garden! I have no idea if this works or not though...

A few of us seem to be suffering with some kind of illness, and I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we could give any pearls of wisdom that have been passed down to us to cure any ills, or any other old wives tales you've heard that have amused you. I used to be told that if you had a wart, you should cut a potato, and rub the cut side over it. You should then bury it in the garden! I have no idea if this works or not though...

I've heard that wart cure in versions involving a dead cat or a ham, too. The actual, natural wart cure is houseleek rubbed onto the wart; but you don't have to bury it afterwards.

I've heard that wart cure in versions involving a dead cat or a ham, too. The actual, natural wart cure is houseleek rubbed onto the wart; but you don't have to bury it afterwards.
I shall remember that then!

My sister used guided imagery to cure a wart. She imagined it going away and the skin becoming smooth for a few minutes every day and voila! But burying potatoes sounds more fun ;). Hmm, old wives tales... Around my house we had more silly warnings about stuff that will make you sick (going out with wet hair etc.) rather than cure you, so I can't think of any...

if you jackoff daily you will get hairy palms

if you put a penny under your tounge you can fool a breathalizer test

On pregnant chicks Dark nipples indicate a boy

Wait an hour after eating before swimming.

Coffee stunts your growth.

Fish is brain food

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight

If you go outside with wet hair, you'll catch a cold

Cracking knuckles causes arthritis

If you put your purse/handbag on the floor, you'll never have any money.

(it's true you know, mine is always lying around on the floor, and I've always been broke :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom