NME at it again - "All the band reunions we don’t want to see happen"

it seems NME is at it again.

The Smiths

An obvious one, yes, but for good reason. The Smiths’ break-up was particularly messy – they had already parted ways before the release of their fourth album, 1987’s ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’, amid a toxic atmosphere that included Morrissey running out of the studio as soon as he was done recording and Johnny Marr saying he “didn’t form a group to perform Cilla Black songs”. But the aftermath was even messier: a bitter royalties dispute, decades of barbed words exchanged as well as the band members’ increasingly divergent political views (Marr recently responded to reunion rumours by wryly suggesting they get “Nigel Farage on guitar.”)

Why it would suck: Marr may have been joking about Farage on guitar, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see Anne Marie Waters in the crowd if this nightmare did occur. The Smiths originally split because Morrissey and Marr had differences creatively, but now they’re just two completely different people. It’s a no from us

Last edited by a moderator:
NME as well as HMV will be gone very soon. I'm looking to move to Tenerife. England as I knew it is well and truly dead.
Yeah! Move abroad with all those other ex-pats who can't get their healthcare becasue we left the EU! Wooo! Blue passports! It was all worth it! Better in the old days when you could literally call a spade a spade. Alf Garnett forever! Freedom of speech! Freedom to be racist! But not freedom of speech for the lefties, just the racists! Wooh! Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy Robinson!

Even assuming there wasn't a politics divide, I wouldn't see much point in a Smiths reunion. If it's just to have Morrissey and Johnny Marr on the same stage "playing all the hits," then I guess that might contain some minimal value, as Marr can recreate his old guitar parts with more dexterity and crispness than Boz Boorer and Jesse Tobias do. He is always a devotee of tone and atmospherics. But a reunion would really only make sense if there was any chance of them collaborating on new material, and of said material being good. Is that possible? I'm afraid we would end up with "Scag shack, Mexican mud | Little Jo in the snow," sung over the musical template of Johnny Marr & the Healers. And while that might be a significant improvement over Gustavo Manzur or whoever else is coming up with the dance-floor pop cutesiness of Morrissey's current sound, it would not speak well for the Smiths. Better to leave the legacy unsullied.

Yeah! Move abroad with all those other ex-pats who can't get their healthcare becasue we left the EU! Wooo! Blue passports! It was all worth it! Better in the old days when you could literally call a spade a spade. Alf Garnett forever! Freedom of speech! Freedom to be racist! But not freedom of speech for the lefties, just the racists! Wooh! Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy Robinson!

Skinny - you need to up your meds!

NME as well as HMV will be gone very soon. I'm looking to move to Tenerife. England as I knew it is well and truly dead.
Britain is in stage four of a very serious illness,has been for years.enjoy all that vitamin d in Tenerife.

And one you assured was definite to happen , together with your assurance that Boz had left the band , and that Moz had had some relationship with Joyce
I call bullshit

What kind of relationship with Joyce? Is that what was behind the bitter lawsuit?

it seems NME is at it again.

The Smiths

An obvious one, yes, but for good reason. The Smiths’ break-up was particularly messy – they had already parted ways before the release of their fourth album, 1987’s ‘Strangeways, Here We Come’, amid a toxic atmosphere that included Morrissey running out of the studio as soon as he was done recording and Johnny Marr saying he “didn’t form a group to perform Cilla Black songs”. But the aftermath was even messier: a bitter royalties dispute, decades of barbed words exchanged as well as the band members’ increasingly divergent political views (Marr recently responded to reunion rumours by wryly suggesting they get “Nigel Farage on guitar.”)

Why it would suck: Marr may have been joking about Farage on guitar, but we wouldn’t be surprised to see Anne Marie Waters in the crowd if this nightmare did occur. The Smiths originally split because Morrissey and Marr had differences creatively, but now they’re just two completely different people. It’s a no from us

I think everyone knows now that this reunion will never happen - so why does the NME insist still ? It is hard not to consider this as a supplemental reminder telling us : please remember how Morrissey is responsible for a non-reunion. And that’s despicable from the NME REALLY...

Hmm, había un poco más que eso, no menos importante que Marr se quemó por tener que manejar la banda de manera efectiva mientras toleraba el comportamiento cada vez más irracional de Morrissey.
A que te referis con irracional ?? Que conductas tenia Moz para los que no sabemos ? Drogas alcohol ??,no era Marr el que estaba incontrolable con las sustancias a punto tal que la novia de Marr le pedia a Morrissey que lo cuidara en las giras??

A que te referis con irracional ?? Que conductas tenia Moz para los que no sabemos ? Drogas alcohol ??,no era Marr el que estaba incontrolable con las sustancias a punto tal que la novia de Marr le pedia a Morrissey que lo cuidara en las giras??
Como usta usted.

También suponiendo que no haya una división política, no hay mucho sentido en una reunión de Smiths. Si es solo para tener a Morrissey y Johnny Marr en el mismo escenario "tocando todos los éxitos", entonces supongo que eso podría tener un valor mínimo, ya que Marr puede recrear sus viejas partes de guitarra con más destreza y nitidez que Boz Boorer y Jesse Tobias. . Siempre es un devoto del tono y la atmósfera. Pero una reunión realmente solo tiene sentido si hubiera alguna posibilidad de que colaboren en material nuevo, y de que dicho material sea bueno. ¿Es eso posible? Me temo que terminaríamos con " Scag Shack, barro mexicano | Little Jo en la nieve", cantado sobre la plantilla musical de Johnny Marr & the Healers. Y si bien eso podría ser una mejora significativa sobre Gustavo Manzur o cualquier otra persona que se le ocurra la cortesía pop de la pista de baile del sonido actual de Morrissey, no hablaría bien para el Smiths, mejor dejar el legado intacto.
la santa mierda llamada Gustavo M y Tobias, lo peor en la carrera de Morrissey! : ahhh::látigo:

Funny there's no mention of Morrissey and Marr meeting up again around 2008 and chatting about possibly getting back together. I assume someone at that trash rag read Autobiography.

Oh and Morrissey and Marr were always two completely different people. You couldn't find another Morrissey if you tried, which is why even those who hate him can't shake him.

Why anyone would want a Smiths reunion is beyond me. That ship has sailed, hit rocks, been torpedoed and now resembles a haunted shipwreck from Scooby Doo. It would be like trying to raise the titanic: pointless.

The NME are at 'what' again? If it's regurgitating tired stories, it's a yes If the poster intends to suggest this is a pop at Morrissey, no. There are 7 other bands all given the same treatment.

To the person that's 'off ' to Tenerife because their England is no more - you don't clearly explain what you mean by that? Are you happy/unhappy with Johnson's England?

Come 1st Jan, 2021 you'll need a visa for a stay over 90 days. There is no confirmation re: health services and how they will be paid for.

It won't be like the old days ....
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore

Why anyone would want a Smiths reunion is beyond me. That ship has sailed, hit rocks, been torpedoed and now resembles a haunted shipwreck from Scooby Doo. It would be like trying to raise the titanic: pointless.
Yeah exactly. They wrote so many songs in such a short time. We have plenty of their songs. We don't need anymore.

Morrissey? Unreasonable? Well, I never.

The important thing to remember is: look how much he's learned and changed. *clears throat*

I know, right? Maybe devious, truculent and unreliable, but hardly unreasonable. And BTW, I have, and it is pretty good. ;)

Yeah, The Smiths shouldn't reunite, nostalgia whoring is always lame and Johnny Marr does it enough for the both of them

Well, one man's "whoring" is another's "mining." Although if push came to shove, I would say I much prefer whores to miners...only where nostalgia is involved of course.

la santa mierda llamada Gustavo M y Tobias, lo peor en la carrera de Morrissey!

Es verdad, si. To put it in Trumpian terms, they can "go back where they came from." Which is not to say that Morrissey should in any way neglect the Latin American imperative. Heaven forfend. Surely there is some awkward young guitarist, in Mexico, or Argentina perhaps, a bedsit casualty, farouche, clumsy in all respects except for when it comes to their fingers on a fretboard. And slender, androgynous; not muscular like Manzur or Tobias, more in the physical mold of a Johnny Marr or Chrissie Hynde, their eyes obscured by thick bangs. He (or she) has a talent far exceeding the mundane. They have quit their Smiths/Morrissey cover band out of boredom, and now it is time for them to step into the light. But how will Morrissey find them? He can't. He won't. He is far too content to shake his sixty-year-old rump to dance-y, jaunty numbers now. This is how Morrissey ends. Not with a bang, but with embarrassment.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom