NME: “Johnny Marr gives his verdict on Blossoms and Rick Astley’s Smiths Covers Band” (September 17, 2021)

Not sure whether Johnny is keen on this or not, he seems pissed off that Blossoms never mentioned it to him when they met a few weeks ago - Well, I met The Blossoms a few weeks ago and they elected to not mention it. Nice.

NME article kindly supplied by @This Charming Bowie:

(2 separate discussions merged).

Related items:

I also find it funny and horrible, but in a good way!!!!
I have zero interest in the many Smiths tribute bands... But I assume that the point of Rick Astley is to have fun and he is probably conscious of the absurdity of the project.

I don't know the Blossoms at all, but I assume that if they wanted a "serious" tribute, they would have found another singer.

Johnny should have some sense of humour....

No Smiths songs at the MEN last night but looks like a cracking atmosphere!

Is it fair to say Blossoms have Eclipsed Elbow, as Manchester’s biggest band? That looks huge.

Yes looks like they're going to be huge, New Order are still a big draw as well - Heaton Park last week.

9CF9FF12-6E53-417A-B401-FEB5301B5DFB.jpeg

I also find it funny and horrible, but in a good way!!!!
I have zero interest in the many Smiths tribute bands... But I assume that the point of Rick Astley is to have fun and he is probably conscious of the absurdity of the project.

I don't know the Blossoms at all, but I assume that if they wanted a "serious" tribute, they would have found another singer.

Johnny should have some sense of humour....

Sense of humor? He did say it was funny. I can't believe an innocuous tweet of his makes the UK music press!

I don't know, Johnny seems like low key abuser, from my outsider's perspective . . . if what was said about Joyce suing Morrissey and Marr in the 90's is true, how Marr left Mozz in the lurch and alone, when they were essentially getting sued together . . . or how Morrissey is clearly not racist (as illustrated by Joyce's British TV interview) Johnny seemingly feeding into the atmosphere of blind disinformation passive aggressively (Marr just constantly responding with tsk tsk towards Morrissey, never in the least sticking his tat neck out to defend a former band mate) . . . and then so what, a band does a full tribute set (which is basically like saying we love you!) of songs that are basically standards by now, and then calling it 'horrible' and not just being a good sport about it (once your art leaves your bedroom if it becomes successful it takes on its own life? )

and then three tweets later giving fist bump props so easily to American Autopsy of death of Indy Disney princess Billie Eilish???

What am i missing ??

I don't know, Johnny seems like low key abuser, from my outsider's perspective . . . if what was said about Joyce suing Morrissey and Marr in the 90's is true, how Marr left Mozz in the lurch and alone, when they were essentially getting sued together . . . or how Morrissey is clearly not racist (as illustrated by Joyce's British TV interview) Johnny seemingly feeding into the atmosphere of blind disinformation passive aggressively (Marr just constantly responding with tsk tsk towards Morrissey, never in the least sticking his tat neck out to defend a former band mate) . . . and then so what, a band does a full tribute set (which is basically like saying we love you!) of songs that are basically standards by now, and then calling it 'horrible' and not just being a good sport about it (once your art leaves your bedroom if it becomes successful it takes on its own life? )

and then three tweets later giving fist bump props so easily to American Autopsy of death of Indy Disney princess Billie Eilish???

What am i missing ??
Punctuation and intelligible sentences.

What am i missing ??

:)

only missing from your post is the wig, :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:, when you are 60 yrs old like Johnny FOKEN Marr and have to wear a wig, things tend to go southward:thumbsdown:
what a wigged twat :lbf:
wait, hold on for one minute. lets protest that Tomorrow is not
on BWD:lbf:

:hammer:

Sense of humor? He did say it was funny. I can't believe an innocuous tweet of his makes the UK music press!

Why not? The Smiths is probably among the top 10 bands of the UK when it comes to historical fame.
Rick Astley is incredibly famous too (specially during the recent years in which he became some sort of internet icon due to jokes).

And if one of the two key members of The Smiths disapproves a tribute, then it's more or less scandalous and interesting for the musical press.

I think Marr meant "Funny" in a negative way.
I find it funny in a positive way... I don't think their intention is to give a "virtuoso performance", but mostly having fun and doing something that is, in several ways, absurd.

Lots of people thought/think that Johnny Marr singing The Smiths was bad karaoke., as in 'funny and horrible '

Anyone can sing those songs live. They don't need anyone's permission and it's irrelevant whether or not the original composers think its good, bad, indifferent, ironic or sincere.

What's funny is an 8 minute sell out of both shows. Bet both Morrissey and Marr would fail to get response to announcing gigs at the same venues in 2021.

They don't like it up em, M&M, eh?

BB

What am i missing ??

Not sure what you're on about, but Johnny Marr worked on the soundtrack to the new James Bond film "No Time to Die" with Billie Eilish who wrote and sang the title song.

But why would you care about anything Smiths related Johnny, when you've got your incredibly successful solo career to focus on?

Can some Brit please record one of the full shows?
This could go viral for Rick and The Smiths!

:)

Moz is successful enough to have his own forum:lbf:
to which the docile :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: drones cant seem to get enough of.

:hammer:

The "freelance journalist" will be pleased:

NME Morrissey’s website shares opinion piece on the response to Rick Astley and Blossoms’ Smiths covers shows

FWD.

Don’t really understand why NME is reporting this Central post. Would be interesting at least if the NME wrote something in response to Fiona’s article.

Tags
blossoms johnny marr nme rick astley smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom