NME: “Johnny Marr gives his verdict on Blossoms and Rick Astley’s Smiths Covers Band” (September 17, 2021)

Not sure whether Johnny is keen on this or not, he seems pissed off that Blossoms never mentioned it to him when they met a few weeks ago - Well, I met The Blossoms a few weeks ago and they elected to not mention it. Nice.

NME article kindly supplied by @This Charming Bowie:

(2 separate discussions merged).

Related items:

Well I wanted to raise the question last night whether these concerts would include a guest appearence by Johnny Marr. Probably not than, but he was clearly hoping for an invitation.

Seems like he wants to be in control of the Smiths legacy.
:)
now hes calling his simple minded 'fans' head cases,
after he was the one whinging
but the situation can be salvaged and he can be 'invited'
i think it can be made to happen if rick and the buttons send him a :flowers:
and many apologies:tiphat:
i can see it now, rick and the buttons on stage, when suddenly:drama:
from the sideline emerges a tiny figure:popcorn:
who can it be?:paranoid:

MY GOD ITS JOHNNY FOKEN MARR!:hammer:

Funny thing is, even though Morrissey hasn't responded (yet), people tend to still make it all about him.

Rick Astley singing The Smiths is good fun, but so many people on social media cannot seem to just take it for what it is, but turn it into a way to bash Morrissey. I am sure that much of the positive responses are based on people's dislike of Morrissey rather than admiration for Rick Astley. Even on Johnny Marr's Twitter people are bringing up Morrissey, instead of focusing on what Johnny has to say.

By the way, if I were Johnny I would be insulted by the people so enthusiastically suggesting that The Smiths should reform with Rick Astley on vocals. It could be labelled as snobbish, but I think that Johnny takes great pride in his art, cherishes what he and Morrissey created back in the day, and prefers to work with other musicians who take their artistry seriously. While the lines between what constitutes a true artist and an entertainer are blurry, I think that it would be difficult to dispute that Rick Astley is first and foremost a pleasant, commercial entertainer, who lacks the emotional depth and urgency that The Smiths brought. It's like preferring Bob Ross paintings over Vincent van Gogh's work, because Bob was such a sympathetic guy and van Gogh an alcoholic weirdo.

:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: quit the Smiths he cant reunite them, Moz owns the brand:tiphat:

:hammer:

I agree and loved seeing this where they did Killing Moon with Ian McCulloch at the O2

Ah, very nice indeed! 😍
Do you have a favorite a-ha song, Surface? Personally, I have to go with Stay On These Roads. One of the most atmospheric and gorgeous songs ever, in my opinion.

Ah, very nice indeed! 😍
Do you have a favorite a-ha song, Surface? Personally, I have to go with Stay On These Roads. One of the most atmospheric and gorgeous songs ever, in my opinion.
The sun always shines is my favourite. When it came out, every morning for about a week that song happened to be playing when my radio alarm clock went off.

The sun always shines is my favourite. When it came out, every morning for about a week that song happened to be playing when my radio alarm clock went off.
That’s in my top 3. And what a fantastic way to wake up! Lovely coincidence.

:cool:

Kind of a side note: a-ha is a super underrated band.
Yes, their Bond track has stood the test of time which (Adele’s great effort aside) is something non of the lead songs of the past 25 years will: Scott Walker’s song is wonderful, but didn’t make it onto the film (the instrumental only features) and KD Lang’s end credits song is great.

Agree totally.. one of the greatest pop song of our generation

Yes, their Bond track has stood the test of time which (Adele’s great effort aside) is something non of the lead songs of the past 25 years will: Scott Walker’s song is wonderful, but didn’t make it onto the film (the instrumental only features) and KD Lang’s end credits song is great.
Do you like a-ha in general?

The Living Daylights is fantastic. Amongst the very best in the series for me.
Wow! I'm so used to being mocked for announcing I'm a Dalton Bond fan that your reply is shocking. I love License to Kill just as much as Daylights. We've had hints of Morrissey's affection for the sound of James Bond but I always wondered what a Morrissey Bond song would sound like.

Absolutely no idea, to be honest - it's probably just some guitar bits over the rest of Zimmer's more typical soundtrack stuff.
Yeah much like anyone who gets to whisper beneath Hans' tunes. I like his stuff but it's not exactly original.

Wow! I'm so used to being mocked for announcing I'm a Dalton Bond fan that your reply is shocking. I love License to Kill just as much as Daylights. We've had hints of Morrissey's affection for the sound of James Bond but I always wondered what a Morrissey Bond song would sound like.
The Aston Martin Vantage from Daylights (which cuts a hole in the ice) is back, in the new Bond film.

I’ve often considered which Bond theme Morrissey could cover best, and I think Moonraker would really suit him.

The Aston Martin Vantage from Daylights (which cuts a hole in the ice) is back, in the new Bond film.

I’ve often considered which Bond theme Morrissey could cover best, and I think Moonraker would really suit him.
Really? That is the sickest Aston ever. Not a fan of the new sleek ones at all. Dalton's Vantage had muscle where now is wind tunnel streamline.

I wasn’t into them as a kid, but as I’ve got older I’ve come to like them more and more. Take on Me is surely amongst the best pop songs ever written?
It most certainly is. It’s pop perfection.

Just found this footage of their gig at the Albert Hall in 2019. Morten looks fantastic considering he's 61!

Well I enjoyed watching that whilst eating my porridge and slurping my coffee . Thanks 👍

I also find it funny and horrible, but in a good way!!!!
I have zero interest in the many Smiths tribute bands... But I assume that the point of Rick Astley is to have fun and he is probably conscious of the absurdity of the project.

I don't know the Blossoms at all, but I assume that if they wanted a "serious" tribute, they would have found another singer.

Johnny should have some sense of humour....

Tags
blossoms johnny marr nme rick astley smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom