Nick Cave on The Smiths (The Guardian, 4th May 2017)

"Trying to meet Cave eye-to-eye in any conversation about his lost son Arthur induces a feeling akin to stage fright. Yet he has been relentlessly upbeat for the shows on this tour so far, as if released of a burden and obviously glad to be performing again. Seeing him backstage after these sprawling and exultant shows, there’s a spark and warmth in his eyes and in his conversation, too. Arthur’s twin brother, Earl, now 16, has got Cave into the Smiths. “Do you like them?” he asks, as if they are absolutely the latest thing. “Great lyrics.”

Curious, charged, Cave is somehow brighter than ever."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/04/nick-cave-death-son-struggle-write-tragedy

Great!
Thanks for this.
I like Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
They surely must be the best pop/rockmusic coming from Australia. :thumb:

Didn't Cave once say he disliked the tone of Morrissey's singing voice, or am I misremembering?

No, you're not.
The only thing is, he said he disliked it cause it reminded him too much of his own tone which he said he disliked as much. :)
Witty, almost as witty as Moz.
Almost.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds made their debut as the Smiths' support band. Amsterdam, 21 April 1984.

Regrets, I had a few, but this is a very big one: I wasn't there. :sick:

Last edited:
must be very hard to lose a son at that age as their life is only really beginning.

must be very hard to lose a son at that age as their life is only really beginning.

Yes, and after going through so many pain trying to obtain an attitude to still live and enjoy life.
And when you're "famous" or even well-known how to behave with press, journalists etc.
He seems very genuine, without a lamenting, exploiting type of attention seeking.
Maybe exploiting it in an artistic way by using it for his music.
But that's okay with me.

It's gotta be hard just to function again and then to get over feeling guilty for being able to function again. Don't even wanna ponder it

Some 25 years ago, listening to Bigmouth Strikes Again, Nick Cave said that it was "too clean" and with no surprise, but that every time he read a Morrissey quote, he found it clever - or something like that.

It's all in the eye of the beholder with Nick Cave. I think his stuff is mostly tosh and his lyrics pretentious gibberish. To me he has a look in his eyes that betrays the fact he can't believe he is so lauded. Good luck to him. What's he going to do, tell the critics they're wrong?

You could write almost any shit and it could be a Cave lyric. I am blood that drips through fingers and never changes colour. See. I wrote that in no time at all.

It must have been hard for alternative artists in the '80s to live through Morrissey's deification. No wonder some are a little bitter. Morrissey did steal all their thunder. Good to see he has had an about face.

I am sorry for his loss.

It's all in the eye of the beholder with Nick Cave. I think his stuff is mostly tosh and his lyrics pretentious gibberish. To me he has a look in his eyes that betrays the fact he can't believe he is so lauded. Good luck to him. What's he going to do, tell the critics they're wrong?

You could write almost any shit and it could be a Cave lyric. I am blood that drips through fingers and never changes colour. See. I wrote that in no time at all.

It must have been hard for alternative artists in the '80s to live through Morrissey's deification. No wonder some are a little bitter. Morrissey did steal all their thunder. Good to see he has had an about face.

I am sorry for his loss.

Yeah, I get a bit confused about why Nick Cave is so popular. I actually think The Birthday Party were a good band and there's some other stuff I like, such as his Murder Ballads album. And The Proposition is a brilliant film, so he is obviously not without talent. Jesus, I'm starting to sound like his biggest fan now. My point was that all the 80s stuff which so many people consider to be genius just seems completely featureless to me.

But I guess it's just part of life that not everyone gets the same things in the same way. I also don't get why Lou Reed gets rated so highly as a lyricist. No-one try to explain, because there's no possible way of making me understand.

Yeah, I get a bit confused about why Nick Cave is so popular. I actually think The Birthday Party were a good band and there's some other stuff I like, such as his Murder Ballads album. And The Proposition is a brilliant film, so he is obviously not without talent. Jesus, I'm starting to sound like his biggest fan now. My point was that all the 80s stuff which so many people consider to be genius just seems completely featureless to me.

But I guess it's just part of life that not everyone gets the same things in the same way. I also don't get why Lou Reed gets rated so highly as a lyricist. No-one try to explain, because there's no possible way of making me understand.

I will not try to explain, cause as you already stated, there's no possible way of making you understand.
And that is a good thing as I value your opinion.

The lyricism itself is only one aspect of course and I could very well understand you would rate other lyricists higher. But then again, maybe they would lack other qualities, such as presence, presentation, dare (to be different), to delve into areas, artistically, maybe neglected or disregarded by other artists.

I was very much into Velvet Underground (and Nico!), Lou Reed and still listen to their music.
In my opinion Berlin was and is a masterpiece, musically and lyrically.
Maybe you would have to be in a certain mood to appreciate it but apparently I am, occasionally.
Besides Moz he is, was, maybe the only other artist, that would get me.
Oh, and Scott Walker of course.
Birthday Party and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds come close but not THAT close.
Cheers Cornflakes! :thumb:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds made their debut as the Smiths' support band. Amsterdam, 21 April 1984.
Is this true? It's astounding!

I will not try to explain, cause as you already stated, there's no possible way of making you understand.

The lyricism itself is only one aspect of course and I could very well understand you would rate other lyricists higher. But then again, maybe they would lack other qualities, such as presence, presentation, dare (to be different), to delve into areas, artistically, maybe neglected or disregarded by other artists.

I was very much into Velvet Underground (and Nico!), Lou Reed and still listen to their music.
Maybe you would have to be in a certain mood to appreciate it but apparently I am, occasionally.

Agree about Berlin. His best album. The song street hassle is also a high point

METAL MACHINE MUSIC easily his best record ! :rock:

Cave is a legend, saw him in 1990 on Pinkpop, just after he released his book, 'as the a... saw the angel'

Blixa Bargeld is what Marr was for Morrissey.

Weeping Song is a top 10 all time classic

really? mh I listened always to Mark Stakenburg, that time, and another DJ who always palyed records the first hour and the 2nd always a live gig on air, also the Smiths in the Meervaart, never heart that Nick Cave was there, or audio,...but thanks for the info, have great weekend

[on the Coolsingel :) ]

other DJ was Hubert van Hoof, all in the 80's KRO eveningradio, NCRV too, VARA and VPRO played some alternative music eeven at daytime...VPRO wednesday afternoon programme should get an Radio Award [de wilde wereld aka Nozems a gogo] Bram van Splunteren started, with Fons Dellen as back DJ, Bram went to do docs, and Fons got the main DJ with Lotje IJzermans [just some dutch alternative 80's radio broadcasting company, who got little time, but so important]

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom