Newcastle 1985?

kissmyshadestoo

Nobody ever looks at me twice
Saw this on FB today, on the group "Johnny Marr: Ode to a Godlike Genius". Poster seemed to think this might be a release like "Rank"?

Attachments

• NC.JPG
    NC.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 0
Saw this on FB today, on the group "Johnny Marr: Ode to a Godlike Genius". Poster seemed to think this might be a release like "Rank"?

Such a great photo!
Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

I believe this is doing the rumour mill.
It started as a picture to promote a podcast via:

then they expanded it to include 'rumours of a re-release in better quality' of the Newcastle City Hall 24th, March, '85 gig. Shared by many under the bootleg name: 'Where's the Beef'.
(Original cover:
http://bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=Smiths-Beef&section=66)
I'd expect it's a podcast that will play the original audience source tape and speculate on a re-release - that nowhere else knows about yet.
Unfortunately, by using a picture by Bert Hardy ('Gorbals Boys', 1948) and putting The Smiths on it - speculation now abounds of something new - let's hope.
The podcast is easily found here:
https://nearperfectpitch.podbean.com
or here:
https://nearperfectpitch.com
(via several app platforms).
It should be the next podcast due.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:

That's a good source and probably what the podcast picked up on... looking interesting.
Certainly not the finest of gigs, but certainly worth hearing via soundboard.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Interesting, but I'd be a bit dismayed if that is a sanctioned Smiths sleeve. Nothing wrong with the photo itself, but it doesn't belong in the canon.

It's looking likely that special editions are in development, so maybe this is bonus material for MIM.

Interesting, but I'd be a bit dismayed if that is a sanctioned Smiths sleeve. Nothing wrong with the photo itself, but it doesn't belong in the canon.

It's looking likely that special editions are in development, so maybe this is bonus material for MIM.

Interesting Cornflakes!
"Nothing wrong with the photo itself, but it doesn't belong in the canon".
I like the photo as much as you do but can you elaborate a bit on why you don't think it belongs to the canon?
I had that feeling it fitted very well in the Smiths canon.
Cheers :thumb:

Interesting Cornflakes!
"Nothing wrong with the photo itself, but it doesn't belong in the canon".
I like the photo as much as you do but can you elaborate a bit on why you don't think it belongs to the canon?
I had that feeling it fitted very well in the Smiths canon.
Cheers :thumb:

The most objective reasons I can think of:

1) All of the sleeves Morrissey did for the Smiths invite us to focus on an individual. Usually, anyone else in the photo has been cropped out, but even in the one case I can think of where this wasn't done (the LP version only of TTWW), it is very clear who we are supposed to be looking at. The sleeves are always about someone.

2) IMO, they are always in some way about being glamorous. Even when the person in the photo isn't a celebrity, actor or model, they are usually doing something glamorous - going on a day trip to the beach and eating a lolly or dressing up as a cowboy are glamorous things for a child.

3) The photos always date to Morrissey's childhood or slightly before (in the cases of celebrities where the photo might have been a bit earlier, but the person in clearly part of his childhood).

Here we have a photo of two people, neither of whom is particularly the central figure, they are certainly not glamorous in any way and the photo was taken well before Morrissey was born.

So I reckon this is a reasonably nice cover someone has done for an MP3 bootleg or something.

Of course, it could be that Morrissey has changed his approach compared to 30 years ago, but the two recent releases (if you count the TQID 12" as genuine) would suggest not. Or it might somehow have come about that this is an official release but Morrissey isn't involved.

1) All of the sleeves Morrissey did for the Smiths invite us to focus on an individual. Usually, anyone else in the photo has been cropped out, but even in the one case I can think of where this wasn't done (the LP version only of TTWW), it is very clear who we are supposed to be looking at. The sleeves are always about someone.

2) IMO, they are always in some way about being glamorous. Even when the person in the photo isn't a celebrity, actor or model, they are usually doing something glamorous - going on a day trip to the beach and eating a lolly or dressing up as a cowboy are glamorous things for a child.

3) The photos always date to Morrissey's childhood or slightly before (in the cases of celebrities where the photo might have been a bit earlier, but the person in clearly part of his childhood).

Here we have a photo of two people, neither of whom is particularly the central figure, they are certainly not glamorous in any way and the photo was taken well before Morrissey was born.

So I reckon this is a reasonably nice cover someone has done for an MP3 bootleg or something.

Of course, it could be that Morrissey has changed his approach compared to 30 years ago, but the two recent releases (if you count the TQID 12" as genuine) would suggest not. Or it might somehow have come about that this is an official release but Morrissey isn't involved.

Thanks for this! :thumb:
Very good argumentation.
Maybe I was a bit too enthusiastic cause of the nice, joyful, innocent impression those kids made, and the suggestive " time stood still " atmosphere.
I reckon there are many other photos to be found, just like this one.

I believe this is doing the rumour mill.
It started as a picture to promote a podcast via:

then they expanded it to include 'rumours of a re-release in better quality' of the Newcastle City Hall 24th, March, '85 gig. Shared by many under the bootleg name: 'Where's the Beef'.
(Original cover:
http://bootlegzone.com/album.php?name=Smiths-Beef&section=66)
I'd expect it's a podcast that will play the original audience source tape and speculate on a re-release - that nowhere else knows about yet.
Unfortunately, by using a picture by Bert Hardy ('Gorbals Boys', 1948) and putting The Smiths on it - speculation now abounds of something new - let's hope.
The podcast is easily found here:
https://nearperfectpitch.podbean.com
or here:
https://nearperfectpitch.com
(via several app platforms).
It should be the next podcast due.
Regards,
FWD.

Nice sleuthing FWD!

This is their latest advert for the (yet updated) podcast.

I have a feeling someone is just making these up as they go along.
The Smiths is dead indeed.
Yet, let's hope for a haunting.
Regards,
FWD.

This is their latest advert for the (yet updated) podcast.

I have a feeling someone is just making these up as they go along.
The Smiths is dead indeed.
Yet, let's hope for a haunting.
Regards,
FWD.

I know that The Smiths are always high on my list of #shoegaze and #goth greats.

You really understand this. I'm dumbfounded.

I could have spent 10 years looking at covers and not put all of that together. I'd focus on completely different things.

Great logic.

Back
Top Bottom