Newbie & thinking I'm crazy to want to see Moz next week

CharChar

Wrote on my blog this week, reminiscing about The Smiths and when Morrissey first went solo. So I decided to see what he's been up to all these years since the "Everyday Is Like Sunday" era, because I never kept up with him.

Have watched hours and hours of interviews on YouTube - even watched that "Importance of Being Morrissey" film. Got totally sucked in all over again; hearing and watching "Please God Help Me" for the first time made me openly weep. (Ditto for "Jesus I Forgive You.")

Found out Morrissey is playing in Chicago next week. I live in Wisconsin an hour away from Chicago. The tickets are cheap and still available. I can get a babysitter.

Somehow I landed here on Morrissey Solo. Have spent hours and hours reading through various forum threads here. And now wondering if I am crazy to want to see Morrissey in concert? Much of what I read here is in complete contradiction to all the interviews I read and watched online. You all make him seem like a narcissistic, scheming, two-faced nutjob. (For the record, I stopped listening to Morrissey back in the day because of, well, the same sort of issues, yet it seems much worse?) But then there's all this music I just discovered, even if years late to the party......(BTW, could someone tell me the name of the three "new" songs that no one likes? Can I listen to them on YouTube?)

What am I to do? I mean, why get sucked into something that is potentially just falling apart anyway? I can listen to the music at home and skip seeing the shows of someone who throws fans out and who rips on everyone and everything he doesn't like, yes?

Seriously, I am a newbie and I've never been here or posted before. Feeling the attraction back to Morrissey, but it seems ALOT has changed since the late 1980's and early 1990's. Am I wrong?

You should go. His performances are brilliant, his band is amazing (very rawk sound which some object to, it's powerful stuff) and you'll find yourself weeping inexplicably at the concert when he plays that one song that just gets you. Worth the hour drive. The three new songs are these:

And the European leg he introduced these:

Hope this helps. Go, you'll float home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrote on my blog this week, reminiscing about The Smiths and when Morrissey first went solo. So I decided to see what he's been up to all these years since the "Everyday Is Like Sunday" era, because I never kept up with him.

Have watched hours and hours of interviews on YouTube - even watched that "Importance of Being Morrissey" film. Got totally sucked in all over again; hearing and watching "Please God Help Me" for the first time made me openly weep. (Ditto for "Jesus I Forgive You.")

Found out Morrissey is playing in Chicago next week. I live in Wisconsin an hour away from Chicago. The tickets are cheap and still available. I can get a babysitter.

Somehow I landed here on Morrissey Solo. Have spent hours and hours reading through various forum threads here. And now wondering if I am crazy to want to see Morrissey in concert? Much of what I read here is in complete contradiction to all the interviews I read and watched online. You all make him seem like a narcissistic, scheming, two-faced nutjob. (For the record, I stopped listening to Morrissey back in the day because of, well, the same sort of issues, yet it seems much worse?) But then there's all this music I just discovered, even if years late to the party......(BTW, could someone tell me the name of the three "new" songs that no one likes? Can I listen to them on YouTube?)

What am I to do? I mean, why get sucked into something that is potentially just falling apart anyway? I can listen to the music at home and skip seeing the shows of someone who throws fans out and who rips on everyone and everything he doesn't like, yes?

Seriously, I am a newbie and I've never been here or posted before. Feeling the attraction back to Morrissey, but it seems ALOT has changed since the late 1980's and early 1990's. Am I wrong?

Can you post a link to your blog? I'd LOVE to see it...

You absolutely must go, evrything else around Morrissey is just a build up to the live show. There is no better way to spend an evening (still). Please come back and tell me i'm right we need people who just love his music to return to these boards.

yeah, where is this 'blog' of which you speak?
the live concerts are the one aspect of SP Morrissey which remain absolutely essential.
the 2011 tour's been great because he isn't promoting a new (and inevitably patchy) studio album, and is therefore delving deeep into the back catalogue with some wonderful song selections. I'd say it's probably his best ever setlist, or certainly his best since 2002...

Yes Morrissey is Janus faced but that's what makes him such an interesting personality. At times I find it hard to defend him but why should I feel the need? Concentrate on the music my friend, the rest is ornamentation.

Oh, it's a religious blog; wouldn't interest anyone here in the least. Just occassionally I reminisce upon the past there, especially music. Since most of my readers are in the same age group (40's), they enjoy it because they pile in with their musical memories, as well. It was a very short blog post and quite boring to the folks here.

What about the fact that so many here have said they're fed up with Morrissey and want to skip his concerts now? As an outsider coming to this forum, they certainly seem as if they are "mega-fans," and yet they seem willing to sacrifice the concert experience over Morrissey's antics and many claim the band is crap. I bring this up because even though the tickets for Chicago are cheap, it's still a big deal for me to take money out of our budget for entertainment like this. Haven't been to a concert in a long time. And what's up with the criticism of last-minute cancellations?

Am I asking too many questions? It may be that as someone who just re-discovered Morrissey, I should spend time with the actual music, rather than head off to a show. I don't know. My husband brought home "You Are the Quarry" from the library yesterday - it's fantastic (which you all know.)

All of this (a constructed venue on the internet with all its occupants) should be disregarded when making your decision. All you need to do is consider Morrissey and his output. If you like the music then you should go see him and hear the music played, sung and expressed in front of you. His show is an experience that begins from the moment you decide to buy the tickets until the ride home. Morrissey-solo and its bickering contributors (myself included) should have no place when formulating the manner in which you regard him and his music. Morrissey-solo is so unimportant when it comes to that.

Who cares if someone here says they don't want to go? Shouldn't your point of view be individual and independent? Make up your own mind.

Pay no attention to anything you read here. For the most part anything you read about Morrissey on this forum will be filtered through the eyes of a certain type of person - one who is far more interested in their own wittiness than in anything to do with Morrissey.

Oh, it's a religious blog; wouldn't interest anyone here in the least. Just occassionally I reminisce upon the past there, especially music. Since most of my readers are in the same age group (40's), they enjoy it because they pile in with their musical memories, as well. It was a very short blog post and quite boring to the folks here.

But I'm religious...AND in my 40's! Won't you let me wax poetic with your fellow readers, please?

Am I asking too many questions? It may be that as someone who just re-discovered Morrissey, I should spend time with the actual music, rather than head off to a show. I don't know. My husband brought home "You Are the Quarry" from the library yesterday - it's fantastic (which you all know.)

For goodness sakes go, enjoy Morrissey live while you still can. On a good night he's wonderful, but on a great night he's a legend, even now, at this late date. If you've only just "rediscovered" him you'll have a blast. A few years ago I was standing on line next to a woman who hadn't seen Morrissey live since 1984. We saw what I would call a slightly substandard show, but afterwards she was exultant - she thought he was as good as ever.

As for all the nonsense you're reading on this site - it's more about the posters than Morrissey; that's what fandom often is. As for Morrissey's personal flaws, nothing matters when he's singing: it's all about that voice, and that voice is still singular and beautiful, and we'll never hear its like again.

One caveat: He does tend to have a high cancellation rate (although he's had good attendance lately). That is a risk you run. He's volatile and unpredictable, and you never know if he's even going to make it through a whole set. Still, how often do you get to fall in love twice? This happens a lot with Morrissey, and it's a very good thing. :D

Yes, I agree with the last few post here. Go. You'll be very happy you went.

Just don't be dismayed and astounded if he cancels. He probably won't as this a short run (and it's the first show so even less chance that he'll cancel!) but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Last edited:
CharChar, don't overthink it. You've already made up your mind, anyway. It's inexpensive, it's near-by, and your a fan. What more do you need? There are worse ways to spend your time and money. You won't always have this choice to make.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom