New York City, NY - Lunt-Fontanne Theatre (May 7, 2019) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

First Of The Gang To Die / How Soon Is Now? / I Wish You Lonely / Speedway / Break Up The Family / Is It Really So Strange? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / Back On The Chain Gang / Morning Starship / Trouble Loves Me / The Bullfighter Dies / Jack The Ripper / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / Everyday Is Like Sunday / What She Said // Suedehead

Setlist courtesy of @FROSTY

Last edited:
You don’t need to be sorry, Saturday was fantastic, opinions and stuff ya know
Ok I retract my statement, I may have been wrong, I didn’t realize how similar it was to night one, which I missed and hadn’t really looked at until now. Both awesome shows. Excited for the last 3

Does anyone have a list of the preshow videos anywhere please?

The remaining songs from the poster and t shirt, they definitely get played? What’s the thought there

I hope you are alright, fair play to you for getting him turfed out. I hope the memory of the show will override the unpleasantness.
It's been great seeing the concerts through other people's posts for those of us who aren't there.
Many thanks to DOC and FWD for all their videos and information.
I hope you get to go another night Marianne. Best wishes.
I was able to go Saturday and Tuesday. No more shows for me! I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday’s show though.

I hope you are alright, fair play to you for getting him turfed out. I hope the memory of the show will override the unpleasantness.
It's been great seeing the concerts through other people's posts for those of us who aren't there.
Many thanks to DOC and FWD for all their videos and information.
I hope you get to go another night Marianne. Best wishes.
I went Saturday and Tuesday. I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday’s show though! I’m trying to get over the unpleasantness. My nose is sore

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/w...-lunt-fontane-theatre-broadway-new-york-hair/

I don't have a subscription to the Telegraph (why would anyone??), but this appears to be a highly positive 5-star review of the Broadway show by Neil McCormick.
I registered with them for occasions just like this, so in full:

TELEMMGLPICT000195981119_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqxqudurc5yeFP8agH1DpUvmF_3c6vfdOYMHzDMpqF8a4.jpeg

5*s

Morrissey, Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, Broadway, review: a hair-raisingly magnificent outpouring of hurt and anger

By Neil McCormick (8th May, '19)

"Morrissey on Broadway: what image does that conjure up? The former Smiths star in stockings with a chorus line of sad tap dancers unfolding umbrellas? Or perhaps, in the style of Bruce Springsteen’s year-long theatrical stint, the dour Mancunian telling anecdotes about the woeful events that inspired the composition of Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now whilst a guitarist strums doleful chords?

Either scenario might have been amusing but, in the end, Morrissey stormed the heartland of New York theatre by doing exactly what he has been doing for nearly forty years: crooning lyrically audacious, melodically gorgeous songs about the trials of being Stephen Morrissey while a tightly drilled band conjured up a wall of thrilling rock sound. The lighting was artful, the background visuals were stimulating, the sound was crisp, the audience excited and attentive, but right at the centre of everything was one man singing about his life in a set overflowing with emotion, humour, aggravation and provocation. It was hair-raisingly magnificent. Or, in the words of the man himself, “not bad for a week night”.

At 59, the controversial British icon is performing a seven-night stint at the 1,500-seater Lunt-Fontanne theatre, just off Times Square and directly opposite award winning musical sensation Hamilton. He could have reached more fans doing one night at Madison Square Garden, as he has in the past. So presumably Broadway itself matters to Morrissey, an obsessive fan of popular music.
His distinctive voice was in fantastic shape, a creamy baritone rising up to sweet falsetto, descending into gruff barks and extending into melismatic yodelling warbles. He delivered his material with a theatricality reminiscent of such pre-rock’n’roll troubadours as Anthony Newley and Charles Aznavour, turning up the collar of his jacket to evoke isolation during an utterly bereft Seasick, Yet Still Docked, or whipping his microphone cord as if in combat during a stinging The Bullfighter Dies.

It was an odd set, packed with album tracks and B-sides. Although Morrissey has a new album of cover versions out later this month, he previewed only one song from it (the lovely Morning Starship by Jobriath). The album is titled California Son, emphasising his allegiance to his adopted home. Morrissey’s controversial support for right-wing political causes (including For Britain and Tommy Robinson) has created a quandary amongst a British fan base who perhaps idealised him as a liberal champion of the oppressed.

There were moves to boycott his tour last year, which was pre-emptively cancelled, and no UK dates have been announced for his latest venture. Yet, much of this American show seemed aimed at Britain. He poured a world of withering sarcasm, hurt and disdain into If You Don’t Like Me, Don’t Look At Me, a minor 2006 B-side to which he improvised the very British pay off: “Don’t get your knickers in a twist.”

“Do you get it?” he asked the New York audience, who loyally cheered whether they got it or not. The unfolding narrative was a depiction of Morrissey’s feelings of bewilderment, hurt and anger at his homeland turning against him. And he delivered it with such passion and pizzazz, that it didn’t matter to his US audience that the message was not intended for them.

The universal element of all his hit songs, from Smiths to solo career, is that each of us has a universe of feelings beneath our skin that the outside world can never see. This was a message driven home by a monumental version of Smiths classic How Soon Is Now?, with Morrissey wailing “I am human and I need to be loved… just like everybody else does!”

The audience responded to every song as if it were a classic, because, frankly, in that intimate venue, in that moment, every song sounded like it was. Morrissey has been pretty consistently great over the years, and right now, on the cusp of turning 60, he is performing like his life depends upon it. And even though he has said many ill-considered things – the UK press-enraging “I see no difference between eating animals and paedophilia” is a particularly memorable example – it strikes me as a tragedy that this extraordinary Englishman no longer feels welcome in his homeland. Because this is a show that should be seen, a slice of rock theatre as life-enhancing, thought-provoking and emotionally powerful as any West End drama."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/w...w-lunt-fontane-theatre-broadway-new-york-hair (gated article).

Regards,
FWD.

Took this video today, when he was coming in. I just uploaded it to YouTube so it’ll take some time to process — I think

I was right behind you it appears, I thought he'd turn away from the sun, Ha! I selected wrong side of entrance

Last edited:
View attachment 49287
And he delivered it with such passion and pizzazz

"Hallo? For Britain Pizza-Mamma? Yes, I'd like to order a quatro stagioni please. No, no drink, no passion, just the pizza. And easy on the black olives. How fast is your delivery guy? No, faSt. -Wow. That old, eh? ...Listen, I've changed my mind, I'm just gonna go to Abdul's Kebab and get some chips. Yeah. Ye-? Yes I know you're dead cheap. Ok bye now "

seems that the cretan guy gave him a trident badge after all...
screenshot-www.morrissey-solo.com-2019-05-08-19-29-19-636.jpeg

Anyone has a good picture of that flower pin he had in last night??
I was interested to know as well - couldn't figure out if it was a poppy?

6c210c0dd6d31ed5dc6f56f664ea3f1d.jpg

Hope this helps, can't find many closer.
Regards,
FWD.

I was interested to know as well - couldn't figure out if it was a poppy?

View attachment 49313

Hope this helps, can't find many closer.
Regards,
FWD.

I have no idea his intent in wearing it. It looks rather nice and I’m sure has personal significance. It reminded me of a class I took on the language of flowers and how what flowers a woman might include in her nosegay communicated silent messages to would be suitors. I looked up poppies and here’s an entry for what it’s worth. Not sure about this message though......

Symbolism. Poppies have long been used as a symbol of sleep, peace, and death: Sleep because the opium extracted from them is a sedative, and death because of the common blood-red color of the red poppy in particular. In Greek and Roman myths, poppies were used as offerings to the dead.

Also thinking it looks a bit like a carnation. So here’s its symbolism.

CARNATION: symbolizes pride and beauty. A red carnation symbolizes love, pride and admiration; a pink carnation symbolizes the love of a woman or a mother; a purple carnationsymbolizes capriciousness; while a white carnation symbolizes innocence and pure love.

Also thinking it looks a bit like a carnation. So here’s its symbolism.

CARNATION: symbolizes pride and beauty. A red carnation symbolizes love, pride and admiration; a pink carnation symbolizes the love of a woman or a mother; a purple carnationsymbolizes capriciousness; while a white carnation symbolizes innocence and pure love.

Thanks. Or maybe he just liked it. All the flowers are beautiful.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom