New York City, NY - Lunt-Fontanne Theatre (May 2, 2019) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore / Suedehead / Alma Matters / Hairdresser On Fire / Is It Really So Strange? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / How Soon Is Now? / I Wish You Lonely / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Morning Starship / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / Back On The Chain Gang / The Bullfighter Dies / Trouble Loves Me / Jack The Ripper / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / Everyday Is Like Sunday / What She Said // Let Me Kiss You

Setlist provided by @Lost and found via setlist.fm

Last edited:

FWD.

Michael Imperioli. He was there the first night too. And waited for Moz to exit the theatre. Always nice to see a celeb in NY have some fandom moments....

Some dude from Sopranos in the line (apparently)

The New York Times Review:

03morrissey-live-articleLarge.jpg

Morrissey Brings His Misery, and Melisma, to Broadway

By Jon Pareles

"For a rock star like Morrissey, who is 59, coming to Broadway is a paradoxical milestone, a downshift: playing a theater that’s smaller than his usual venues — the Lunt-Fontanne seats 1,509 people — with the promise of making a more intimate statement. Morrissey acknowledged his setting with his a cappella first notes, singing the line “There is a light that never goes out” (from a Smiths song) and continuing, “on Broadway.”

But he didn’t offer a radically scaled-down, quasi-confessional performance like “Springsteen on Broadway” (even though, like Springsteen, he has written an autobiography, titled “Autobiography”)."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/03/arts/music/morrissey-broadway-review.html

Regards,
FWD.

Newsday Review:

image (1).jpg

'Morrissey' review: Bringing his outsider sensibility to Broadway

By Glenn Gamboa

"WHAT
"Morrissey"

WHEN | WHERE
Through May 11, Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, 205 W. 46th St.

INFO
From $79; 800-745-3000, ticketmaster.com

BOTTOM LINE
The former Smiths frontman brings his classics and outsider sensibility to Broadway

Morrissey began his Broadway debut with an a capella bit to pithily capture the moment, singing “There is a light that never goes out on Broadway” to the tune of the George Benson classic “On Broadway.”

Yes, the outspoken, anti-establishment leader of The Smiths, the king of the new wave outsiders, had now been welcomed on Broadway, with a seven-show run through May 11 at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, and it was on his terms. There were homages to Morrissey’s past in the crowd — guys wearing the giant, unfashionable hearing aids he used to sport, many T-shirts declaring “Meat Is Murder” and more than a few pompadours.

“I’m very pleased to be here for many, many obvious reasons,” he said later, before rolling into an upbeat version of “Hairdresser on Fire.”

And for his 90-minute show, Morrissey seemed intent on bringing as much of his distinctive, nonconformist style to Broadway, with photos of author James Baldwin and actor James Dean — or, during “The Bullfighter Dies,” bloodied bulls and gored bullfighters — projected behind him and his five-piece band as they delivered mostly faithful versions of his classics with The Smiths and as a solo artist.

In fact, the night’s best moments came when they strayed from the beloved text. The new thunderous ending of “How Soon Is Now?” fit nicely with Morrissey’s angrier-than-usual delivery of the club anthem. It was now a warning about wasting time punctuated by pounding drums, rather than an ethereal, echoing-guitar moment that vanished into the night. And when he slipped bits of the Italian classic “Quando, Quando, Quando” into the already-beautiful “Everyday Is Like Sunday,” it was a lovely moment. He also offered his take on The Pretenders’ “Back on the Chain Gang,” introducing the Chrissie Hynde classic as a song “written by one of the greatest thinkers of the 20th Century.”

Though Morrissey has lined up his most commercial album in years — the covers collection “California Son” due out May 24, complete with high-profile collaborators like Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong on the cover of The 5th Dimension’s “Wedding Bell Blues” — he only played one song from it, his version of Jobriath’s “Morning Starship.” Perhaps he’s saving those songs for his upcoming tour with Interpol?

Morrissey didn’t use his Broadway debut for a radical re-imagining of his catalog the way other artists, from Bruce Springsteen to Duran Duran, have done. However, maybe for him, simply being there was radical enough."

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/theater/morrissey-broadway-1.30586332

Reproduced in full due to regional GDPR nonsense.

Regards,
FWD.

somebody tell the new York posts chuck Arnold that its California son and not California sun,sometimes you wonder if these journalists were even at the concert.

The New York Times Review:

View attachment 49124

Morrissey Brings His Misery, and Melisma, to Broadway

By Jon Pareles

"For a rock star like Morrissey, who is 59, coming to Broadway is a paradoxical milestone, a downshift: playing a theater that’s smaller than his usual venues — the Lunt-Fontanne seats 1,509 people — with the promise of making a more intimate statement. Morrissey acknowledged his setting with his a cappella first notes, singing the line “There is a light that never goes out” (from a Smiths song) and continuing, “on Broadway.”

But he didn’t offer a radically scaled-down, quasi-confessional performance like “Springsteen on Broadway” (even though, like Springsteen, he has written an autobiography, titled “Autobiography”)."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/03/arts/music/morrissey-broadway-review.html

Regards,
FWD.

who is this pareles twat??:straightface:

moz is going to make an awful bruce springsteen oprah winfrey show?:lbf:

i dont think so,o_O

Next batch of songs is uploaded:

Thank you so much for sharing all these videos, they are of very good qualitiy. I particulary enjoyed to see all the facial expressions, almost like a first row experience. Also the sound is very good.
It seems like he doesn´t introduce the band members anymore, or did he?

Thank you so much for sharing all these videos, they are of very good qualitiy. I particulary enjoyed to see all the facial expressions, almost like a first row experience. Also the sound is very good.
It seems like he doesn´t introduce the band members anymore, or did he?

No intros, unfortunately. The Boz intro is always funny.

FWD.

Can we get audio of your recordings please?
The audio has a static link to a 320 kbps version of this gig and links to HQ video & FLAC on dime. They've been available in the downloads section of this site since the 5th of May :) Similarly for the other gig too.
Regards,
FWD.

The audio has a static link to a 320 kbps version of this gig and links to HQ video & FLAC on dime. They've been available in the downloads section of this site since the 5th of May :) Similarly for the other gig too.
Regards,
FWD.
Thanks once again for being the M-solo archivist. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to make the recordings, but getting them into the hands of others is no easy task either.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom