new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits review)

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

he really is a c*** i wish nothing but pain on him and his family if he is cabable of having any.. the f***ing twat i hate him and his familys f***ing guts ......iI HOPE THE c*** IS DEAD SOON ... PLEASE.. BYE

Re: new Word Magazine; perhaps most vicious attack ever on Moz (in Greatest Hits revi

I will say that I really do miss Mobo's :confused: songs about those who don't belong here.....

That part of the review was utter crap. How many times in how many different ways must Morrissey champion the underdog? Once said, need it be said again? Does it come down to "What have you whinged for me lately"? That is linear thinking to the point of absurdity.

He sings about outsiders as much as ever and he has cast himself as the greatest outsider of all. He has expressed empathy with-- gasp-- Middle Easterners crouching in rubble while U.S. planes scream overheard. He has made overtures (perhaps only as a p.r. stunt) to play in Iran. (Are we not allowed to bring up a song like "Asian Rut" about an boy attacked by three barbarians just because it's a weak song?) Yet for one line in one song released 20 years ago this critic thinks he's turned his back on those who don't belong?

Last edited:

he really is a c*** i wish nothing but pain on him and his family if he is cabable of having any.. the f***ing twat i hate him and his familys f***ing guts ......iI HOPE THE c*** IS DEAD SOON ... PLEASE.. BYE

Have you just had a stroke?

Why do you hate him? Why do you hate his FAMILY? He just has an opinion which you disagree with? Take a deep breath and choos to ignore him if it bothers you.

That part of the review was utter crap. How many times in how many different ways must Morrissey champion the underdog? Once said, need it be said again? Does it come down to "What have you whinged for me lately"? That is linear thinking to the point of absurdity.

Easy... I was generalizing... I don't agree that he has 'turned his back' on 'us' and of course he will always empathize with the underdog, it's just that his recent songs don't really speak to those deep depths in me...not that they won't ever again- at least I hope not. His voice alone and his repertoire -all of it- sits in a well of my heart...where there is always room for more.

No 126 - that is the single most pathetic post I have ever read on here....and that's really saying something!

Grow up and wise up.

Have you just had a stroke?

Why do you hate him? Why do you hate his FAMILY? He just has an opinion which you disagree with? Take a deep breath and choos to ignore him if it bothers you.

No 126 - that is the single most pathetic post I have ever read on here....and that's really saying something!

Grow up and wise up.

hey, come on it's like MORRISSEY....he is like beyond criticism or something because like, he is like, a 'popstar' that has a really weird fanatical fan following and how dare someone, like a writer in a music magazine actually say that he isn't much cop nowadays. I bet he eats babies and wears shoes made out of cats! We should all send emails to the editor and have a hissy fit!

It's nice to see they allow lobotomised people access to the internet.

hey, come on it's like MORRISSEY....he is like beyond criticism or something because like, he is like, a 'popstar' that has a really weird fanatical fan following and how dare someone, like a writer in a music magazine actually say that he isn't much cop nowadays. I bet he eats babies and wears shoes made out of cats! We should all send emails to the editor and have a hissy fit!

We should all do something really effectual like give the newsagents dirty looks until they take this blasphemous material off the shelves.

i dont give a shite if people call hes has his say i'm having mine, he calls morrissey's group thats his family so f*** him ... i wish im pain

Pure comedy gold. Keep up the good work.

and death.... twat

Doesnt Quantick write with self-professed Morrissey fan, Harry Hill?

It's not a review - not even close. I think he's written it well if it was an editorial as previously stated, but I don't agree with him in the slightest. He seems to suggest that Morrisseys tunes shouldnt have changed from when he was in the Smiths - unfortunately in music you have to evolve and you can't stay in the same place, but he seems to have got something of his chest...whatever that may have caused it.

Doesnt Quantick write with self-professed Morrissey fan, Harry Hill?

It's not a review - not even close. I think he's written it well if it was an editorial as previously stated, but I don't agree with him in the slightest. He seems to suggest that Morrisseys tunes shouldnt have changed from when he was in the Smiths - unfortunately in music you have to evolve and you can't stay in the same place, but he seems to have got something of his chest...whatever that may have caused it.

Interesting. I took it to mean the opposite. That Steven hadn't evolved at all and had just started doing a dull, shitty impersonation of himself.

He seems to suggest that Morrisseys tunes shouldnt have changed from when he was in the Smiths - unfortunately in music you have to evolve and you can't stay in the same place,t.

To be fair it's less that he didn't want it to change, just that he reckons what it has become is, well....shit.

Last edited:

Easy... I was generalizing... I don't agree that he has 'turned his back' on 'us' and of course he will always empathize with the underdog, it's just that his recent songs don't really speak to those deep depths in me...not that they won't ever again- at least I hope not. His voice alone and his repertoire -all of it- sits in a well of my heart...where there is always room for more.

Apologies. My ire was directed at Quantick.

I love you Cornelius :)

I love Morrisey's band. That part of the review was wrong and uncalled for and so was raking through the NME thing again. What does that have to do with his Greatest Hits? It is true that he already has other hits collections that are better though. And it's too bad that his first record on a new label has to be a greatest hits. If he didn't envy Radiohead finding it impossible to get a bad review, maybe he could pick up a couple of tips from them.

Who buys Morrissey records anyway? Isn't it the faithful? Sure, he picks up new fans as he goes, but the average record buyer, in the US, anyway, is not likely to buy his Greatest Hits any more than they bought Ringleader. There are just too many issues with Morrissey that a lot of people don't want to deal with. It's amazing that he sells as many records as he does and that he can sell out some of the places he does.

It's his rabid following and not the size of the audience that keeps him going, so instead of promoting himself to a wider audience, with a couple of new tracks tacked on for the faithful, I think he ought to make more of his live recordings and things available and sell to his core audience. The time he will spend promoting this Greatest Hits, he might have had his new album completed, or released a classic single or two on the way to it.

I guess there are those emo kids out there that like Pete Wentz and might buy Morrissey because Pete likes him, but is that really what he's aiming for with this Greatest Hits record? Well, I hope it sells well, because I have a feeling it was the compromise he made to get this deal. I hope it all works out well. I do think he has some good records yet to come.

I think the GH was part of a 2 album deal, and not particularly enthusistic about it, Morrissey left the details to others. With a little joke
"You've got everything already, so you can have my arse an' all."

Looks like Quantick was after his arse too. With an "I'll get you, you bastard" attitude.
I wonder how long ago Q formed his opinion of Morrissey. And if that has changed over the years.

I would have expected a reviewer who wants to be taken seriously in his trade to keep the review as objective as possible.
I think a less venomous script would have been have greater impact. His criticisms might have been considered as credible rather than a bitter rant.

Back
Top Bottom