New UNCUT - Morrissey on Mick Ronson (Feb. 2013)

UPDATE Jan. 3:

Uncleskinny has posted scans in the comments section.

Just got the new UNCUT magazine (Feb 2013 - Gram Parsons on cover).

Great article on Mick Ronson including a two-thirds of a page interview with Moz. Very good interview with some great quotes that I've not seen before.

Also, in the main article itself, Mick's widow says that Morrissey paid him v well for producing Your Arsenal which was good coz it meant that he could continue with his cancer treatment...

Also has a big review of the new deluxe reissue of The Heartbreakers' LAMF.

See also:

Morrissey: "None of Bowie’s $20,000-a-day US guitarists had a grain of Mick Ronson’s natural style" - Uncut.co.uk

Morrissey has paid tribute to guitarist Mick Ronson, best known for his work with David Bowie, in the new issue of Uncut.

The former Smith has long been a fan of the guitarist, who produced his 1992 album Your Arsenal, and reveals the full extent of his admiration in the latest Uncut, out on Thursday (January 3, 2013).

"No matter how you juggle the words, Mick was not replaced in David’s life," Morrissey tells Uncut. "None of David’s $20,000-a-day US guitarists had a single grain of Mick’s natural style, and even Eno only worked with David for 14 days. Mick had been David’s lifelong asset – no-one else."

The whole story of Mick Ronson's life is told in the new issue, with help from friends and collaborators, including wife Suzi Ronson, singer-songwriter Michael Chapman, Bowie producer Ken Scott and fellow Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue guitarist T-Bone Burnett.

The new Uncut, dated February 2013, is out on Thursday (January 3, 2013).

uncut201302.jpg

mickronson201212w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm re-reading this and wondering how the sharp, intelligent, insightful person who comes across on the page can be the same one who has just spewed forth 10 pages of bile and bullshit in 'Loaded'. I'm blaming the wine. He must have been pissed to agree in the first place.

As a friend of mine pointed out, Moz is making some good points, although you can't help but feel he is using Mick to try and undermine Bowie.
It f***ing silly though as Bowie pisses all over Moz from a great hight. Bowie had more input into his songs than Moz ever has.
Moz has no reputation left these days, in the UK or credible parts of the world. He is forced to go on about Turkey and other backward places that are happy to have a UK band appear.
He is now like The Stones coasting on old myth. Bowie silently puts out a single and goes to number one in 30 countries-no need for interviews, silly comments in the press or anything.

To say this site is called Morrissey Solo, is to wrongly name it. It should be called 'slag-off-morrissey.com', 'cause this is what people commenting on the whole seem to do.

I understand your frustration and in some cases you are right.

However, as for Morrissey critisizing Bowie's guitarists....some already pointed out on the irony. Plus, while Ronson's input was important between 1970-1973, Bowie made his best work after 1974. The majority of fans and critics agree on this. So Morrissey can have his opinion, and we can love him for his music, but we still can point out when he's talking rubbish.

Such as now

"Best" is subjective, not objective. I've never read any critics (nor heard any fans) who say that Let's Dance and Never Let Me Down had more merit than Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane. Also, I don't interpret the Uncut article as having anything to do with "criticising" guitarists. He's not criticising Stevie Ray Vaughan (if indeed that's who he's referring to as a $20,000 a day guitarist"), he's simply making the valid point that no amount of money can buy artistic chemistry. But this isn't the first time - aand won't be the last - that his words are deliberately mischaracterised to suit the Anti-Morrissey agenda that prevails on this increasingly tragic site.

But this isn't the first time - aand won't be the last - that his words are deliberately mischaracterised to suit the Anti-Morrissey agenda that prevails on this increasingly tragic site.

I just pointed out with the best possible intention, that being a huge Morrissey fan doesn't rule out being a huge Bowie fan at the time. And, well, i happen to prefer his "Berlin'' records to his Ziggy ones. I love Adrian Belew's "'anti-solos'' on Lodger. And so on. It's just my opinion.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom