New single - "Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage"; first play on Jeremy Vine show

UPDATE Nov. 7:

Link to pre-order limited edition 7" (Dec. 8 release date) posted by an anonymous person:

Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage / You'll Be Gone (Live) - Norman Records

Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s On Stage is the second single to be taken from Morrissey's Low In High School album, his first since 2014, which is being met with a mix of excited anticipation and ambivalence. It will be backed with a live version of You’ll Be Gone. Limited edition 7” on the massive BMG label.

Now on YouTube and other streaming / download services. Link posted by Tbevie:

Also on Spotify as a single:

Jeremy Vine has announced via twitter:

1st play on his show tomorrow 12.00pm - 2.00pm

UPDATE 9:25 PM PT:

Some posts moved to the thread:

"Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage" - sleeve posted on @officialmoz / Twitter

41187_jackys_only_happy_sleeve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this song but it screams "album track" to me musically, lyrically, and length-wise.
Anyone -- Morrissey fan or not -- can relate to Spent the Day's simple, catchy protest.

I love I Wish You Lonely (and think it has what it takes for a single) but didn't get a sense of any exposure. What was the radio play situation etc.?
I only really listen to Radio X but they haven't played 'I wish you lonely' once or even mentioned it. They still play STDIB regularly. It will be interesting to see if 'Jackie' gets much airtime.

I don’t hunk I wish you lonely was pushed to radio or as a single. Just a preview track. He was still playing stdib on things like norton right before I wish you lonely was put out and I don’t think it’ll get a seven inch press. I mean it doesn’t even really have a chorus and isn’t a good choice for a single. Jackys almost all chorus and makes a very good choice for second single. At least out of he songs I’ve heard so far

Are these actually definitely new singles? Or just tracks being released pre album? The latter is done all the time with a slow drip of releasing 2-3 songs after the lead single in the lead up to the album where they’re not actually singles, just pre-releases. The idea is that when you buy them one by one each week, by the time the album is released you only have to buy another 8 songs online and the price looks much cheaper/more appealing than the full 12. It’s pretty common.

Jacky doesn't seem to be an instant-grat on iTunes. I switched over to the New Zealand store, and there's no preview for it available there.

Jacky doesn't seem to be an instant-grat on iTunes. I switched over to the New Zealand store, and there's no preview for it available there.
There wouldn't be would there...otherwise it wouldn't be a "world exclusive".:D

I don't remember it (I was too young) but You Are the Quarry must have been such an exciting release period - 4 tracks per 12"/CD single, and most of them bonafide bangers

You're right and it was an exciting time for a fan. Especially after all of the negativity surrounding Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted.

Sadly the music business is unrecognisable now...

If it's being "released" as a single tomorrow, then one would expect it to be available digitally tomorrow.
After the song has been played on the radio ;)

Have to disagree. Lyrically Jacky won't catch anybody's attention, not to mention the unwieldy album-esque title. And it runs over 4 minutes, I believe.
"I Wish you Lonely" at least warrants attention as a phrase. Has an 80s electro-punk feel. Topical subject matter.

I don’t hunk I wish you lonely was pushed to radio or as a single. Just a preview track. He was still playing stdib on things like norton right before I wish you lonely was put out and I don’t think it’ll get a seven inch press. I mean it doesn’t even really have a chorus and isn’t a good choice for a single. Jackys almost all chorus and makes a very good choice for second single. At least out of he songs I’ve heard so far

Got it now.
And if it's pushed to radio and has separate cover art it's "a single". I guess?

Are these actually definitely new singles? Or just tracks being released pre album? The latter is done all the time with a slow drip of releasing 2-3 songs after the lead single in the lead up to the album where they’re not actually singles, just pre-releases. The idea is that when you buy them one by one each week, by the time the album is released you only have to buy another 8 songs online and the price looks much cheaper/more appealing than the full 12. It’s pretty common.

It's all about to drop very soon.
There's a listening party for the whole album on the 8th, promo cds in the hands of many indie record shops etc...
As for Jacky (which is what it will probably be called as the hashtag & title are too long to be practical), well releasing something that might later surface as a 7" 10 days before the album release is odd. BMG have been pretty good, but it all looks a bit random. STDIB was pre-planned, records were pictured and pre-orderable - this drops overnight. The cynic in me says it's not a coincidence that it's announced just after the cancellation. The banter live hasn't mentioned a new single, only album.
Just the usual Morrissey 'mystique' when it comes to a transparent marketing plan - we will probably never know any details.
Regards,
FWD.

Have to disagree. Lyrically Jacky won't catch anybody's attention, not to mention the unwieldy album-esque title. And it runs over 4 minutes, I believe.
"I Wish you Lonely" at least warrants attention as a phrase. Has an 80s electro-punk feel. Topical subject matter.

Well it has been singled out in the reviews mentioned. Jacky that is which as someone else said above is what it’ll be called to avoid the issue of the long title. While we’re on the subject though the more you ignore isn’t exactly a short title nor is I started something but both worked as singles. I think your right mostly about I wish you lonely but it’s lack of chorus did not help it stand out as a single imo. Most of the complaints mentioned that it kinda charged forward and didn’t really go anywhere musicaly (no resolve) which I think will work well on the album but maybe not for radio or promo. Jacky on the other hand has a very catchy big hook and while the lyrics might not be as topical or as now as I wish you lonely, and that song did get props for its lyrics by a lot of the same people who were meh about the music, it’s morrissey doing a character sketch which he’s known for and the song ends in a nice big build. It does run 4:19 but I don’t think that so long it’s disqualifying. All the young people is also super catchy but I’m guessing people were cautious that it was to far from morrisseys known sound. I’m not jacky the song as I rated it last among the new songs since the bbc show right behind I wish you lonely but I can see how it got chosen

I don't remember it (I was too young) but You Are the Quarry must have been such an exciting release period - 4 tracks per 12"/CD single, and most of them bonafide bangers
It was a great time when "Quarry" came out and when "your Arsenal" was released he was supposed to make an appearance at a record store that Tuesday night and we camped out in Dallas at "Bill's records and Tapes " to see if he would show up and he didn't he showed up at another record store, who knows where. . But so many fans were in the parking lot listening to Our tapes as loud as we could afterwards.

Everything Quarry and before was was laden with B sides, videos and physical copies you could get your hands on. Even Ringleader still had 7 inch singles with plenty of B sides and at least one 12" single which was actually the last time Morrissey released a 12" single.

Everything Quarry and before was was laden with B sides, videos and physical copies you could get your hands on. Even Ringleader still had 7 inch singles with plenty of B sides and at least one 12" single which was actually the last time Morrissey released a 12" single.

Swords was kinda all the b-sides after Quarry, Morrissey was 7 year without a label to release. as I may add

I wish he had only a physicly single before the Album release, and than a second, as with Quarry, who had 4 or 5 singles, which was too much, still won't buy i-tunes, I want CD/Vinyl in my hand, physical.

'I Wish You Lonely' WAS a single. Sure - it sucks it didn't come out physically, but it's out there as a digital single that you can buy individually through places like Amazon, so clearly it qualifies. You don't HAVE to buy the album to purchase it officially.

I suspect part of the reason to release another single so quickly, is that 'I Wish You Lonely' failed to gain any radio airplay - probably because the BBC are terrified of playing anything than mentions heroin. Another reason is simply the convenience of releasing these things digitally these days. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another digital single before the album is released - they are trying to get some momentum going in terms of publicity - maybe we'll get one a week, from here on in. It's not like they need to worry about B Sides either, so why not?

I typed jacky into amazon and it says expected 17th nov.thats the day of the album so whos going to buy an album and one of the songs off it on the same day.

I typed jacky into amazon and it says expected 17th nov.thats the day of the album so whos going to buy an album and one of the songs off it on the same day.
It did the same with I Wish You Lonely until the day they released it.
I'd suspect radio airplay today... Possibly a lyric video on YouTube later and then Spotify, iTunes, Google, Amazon... all listing it for sale.
Then again, nothing is certain with him :)
Regards,
FWD.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom