New single - "Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage"; first play on Jeremy Vine show

UPDATE Nov. 7:

Link to pre-order limited edition 7" (Dec. 8 release date) posted by an anonymous person:

Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage / You'll Be Gone (Live) - Norman Records

Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s On Stage is the second single to be taken from Morrissey's Low In High School album, his first since 2014, which is being met with a mix of excited anticipation and ambivalence. It will be backed with a live version of You’ll Be Gone. Limited edition 7” on the massive BMG label.

Now on YouTube and other streaming / download services. Link posted by Tbevie:

Also on Spotify as a single:

Jeremy Vine has announced via twitter:

1st play on his show tomorrow 12.00pm - 2.00pm

UPDATE 9:25 PM PT:

Some posts moved to the thread:

"Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage" - sleeve posted on @officialmoz / Twitter

41187_jackys_only_happy_sleeve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
An "instant grat" is what they like to call them.

Presumably those who pre-ordered the mp3 album will just get an automatic download at some point?
I pre-ordered the colored vinyl bundle and I got the download too.

This is the first song where I'm not convinced by the production. If I had to sum up this song in one word, it would be 'lumbering'. :paranoid:

Sounds really good. Liked the lyrics and it builds nicely. Little slower than I expected but still it makes me excited for the album as I can imagine it going into home is a question mark. It does sound like it came from the maladjusted era but that’s a good thing for me

So I expect more and more his new LP AT THE SAME LEVEL with "Maladjusted" : music without artistic cohesion, a self caricature of his work. If only we could have 1-2 gems like "Trouble"... I definitely don't expect more. And I'm so disappointed!

That's what I expect, but I'm OK with that at this stage of Morrissey's career. If the new album means we only get a couple of new 'gems', then that's still two more than if we'd never had an album at all. I'm willing to put up with some dross to get the pearls. It's all good. Even when it's mostly shite!

I think my fav part of the lyrics is the

Cue lights! I am singing to my liver at night

Scene two: everyone who comes must go

Scene four: blacker than ever before

Scene six: this country is making me sick

At what point is autotune used? Don't just sit there and type nonsense. Point it out and we'll compare it to the live versions.

I can hear it really subtly on the opening line. I personally don't mind it - I use it all the time in my own music for effect, and I think it makes the vocal really silky and warm. The 'a' and 'y' in Jacky are the giveaways I think. It's so so subtle though - I feel like you'd have to be someone who regularly experiments with it yourself before you even noticed it. I like it.

Yeah I love that track. Also can't wait!

The live version of Home is a Question Mark has bells on it. It's also about 'Home'. Which means it'll be a Christmas single. I'll bet all of my internal organs on that! @Morrissey Make it so or I'll die!!! :(

Home Is A Question Mark is a classic, I'm hopeful the studio cut is even better than the live recording and then it may be his best song since Now My Heart Is Full for me, but I can't see it getting much radio play as a single with risqué lyrics mentioning the wrapping of legs around faces etc, I don't think Christmas singles are allowed to say this, or indeed any singles if they want national airplay...

I think that would be an improvement. Hopefully he changes the lyrics live and starts singing this! :lbf:

A typo but I did think it funny rereading it. As for the auto tune discussion someone, I can’t remember if it was on reddit or the youtube comments, mentioned this when the spent the day in bed lyric video came out and this guy gave a somewhat in depth technical response. Said it wasn’t auto tune but it did have some sort of treatment that can’t recall (I’m not a technical production person). I also think that the live versions of this song came from performances where his voice sounded really rough. The bbc performance for sure had a lot of gruffness to his voice but when I watched the Portland show it was back to being super smooth

I can hear it really subtly on the opening line. I personally don't mind it - I use it all the time in my own music for effect, and I think it makes the vocal really silky and warm. The 'a' and 'y' in Jacky are the giveaways I think. It's so so subtle though - I feel like you'd have to be someone who regularly experiments with it yourself before you even noticed it. I like it.

Surely everyone uses autotune these days. My problem si rather the song is such a ''non-song''. There is only one vocal hook, no chorus, and it sound as if the composer(s) had no idea, inspiration whatsoever to continue the song, still they recorded, thinking ''the production will save it''.

Surely everyone uses autotune these days. My problem si rather the song is such a ''non-song''. There is only one vocal hook, no chorus, and it sound as if the composer(s) had no idea, inspiration whatsoever to continue the song, still they recorded, thinking ''the production will save it''.

Exactly. As I said above, there is literally nothing there. As much as a 'will this do?' as much of the later output.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom