New NME Morrissey interview???

this is all so stupid and silly. Morrissey didnt say anything racist, he didnt say anything wrong. he was giving his opinion. is he not allowed to have an opinion? people are blowing this way out of context.
His xenophobic opinion.

His xenophobic opinion.

It's not xenophobic to feel sad at the passing of a certain state of culture. Morrissey loves the cultural life of all kinds of countries.

And it's not contradictory to live abroad and say that there should be limits on immigration. Saying that there should be government-imposed limits in no way entails that you yourself should refrain from living in another country while the law still permits that. It's all a numbers thing anyway isn't it - if there were just a few immigrants then the impact on English culture wouldn't be as Morrissey says. If you limit immigration to certain specific categories including the super rich (many countries in the world let people in who can demonstrably entirely support themselves, for the tax etc) which would certainly include Moz, then you don't have the impact on the general culture that Moz is talking about.

Do you live in London? I live in Finsbury Park and on my journey to work I don't hear more than one English accent. Go to Camden - good luck finding an English accent there either. Does this make me a racist to simply report the truth? I don't bemoan it, I love living in London. If I didn't like it I would leave! But let's tell the truth here - England is the place that exists outside London. Inside London there is little to point to you being in England at all. Plonk an alien down in the centre of London and ask him what country he thinks he's in and you won't find England as an answer.

Again, I'm not complaining about this. I love the cultural variety of London. But to call someone a racist because they say England has lost some of its national identity is offensive.

I say let in as many people as we can fit in - but don't tell me it won't mean England loses some of itself.

Btw, for the first time ever I've written NME a letter. I'll read it through again and post it here later.

Liz

Best quote yet on this subject.Sums up the truth.When I lived in London in a YWCA I had loads of foreign friends.And loved the mix of people from all over the world.But where I live now there are only white English people save a couple of Indian families and they own the Indian restaurants so i really don`t feel that England has lost its identitiy.It depends where you live.

How do we all feel about his "England for the English" lines?.We all know he isn`t racist but its all a matter of interpretation anyway.

Absolutely, it's the downside of instant communication, lightning-fast travel, multinational corporations. We're all getting homogenized. America doesn't seem to mind so much because we're used to changing like that. We're used to assimilation. But no one likes having a new neighbor tell you how to dress, eat, drive- or think. In America, the newcomers have changed, not forced change to happen. But when the rate of new residents' arrival is so high, change is forced on the new home.

I'm kind of glad I don't have a hometown, or even a home state. Everything is change to me.

Ok- before it gets thrown in my face, I'll recognize the holes in my statement. The first few rounds of newcomers to North American, did, in fact, impose radical change on the existing residents. And still do... sadly. :o

Inquisitioning minds want to know.

He's a writer. Sometimes he's just telling a story.

Yep. It occurs in the context of a story about someone bemoaning the fact that a guy has turned to the National Front. In context, it's obviously a quotation "England for the English", not Morrissey as the omniscient narrative voice making a comment.

Worm;
"Sir Andrew Green is the chairman of Migrationwatch UK."

This group speaks from a "restrict-immigration" agenda and so does not represent a balanced view. Take a look at articles in recent Independent newspaper or Guardian newspaper. You can find them online...for a more wide ranging debate.

But where I live now there are only white English people save a couple of Indian families and they own the Indian restaurants so i really don`t feel that England has lost its identitiy.

What IS "English identity" ?

The English have always been a "mongrel race":a bit of this ,a bit of that.
"National identity " is always in a state of flux.

It's change,just get used to it

But where I live now there are only white English people save a couple of Indian families and they own the Indian restaurants so i really don`t feel that England has lost its identitiy.It depends where you live.

:eek:

Re: Shoplifters of the world unite

I'll do it when I get home tonight. By the way, the users of DrownedinSound know exactly who's looking like a twat in all of this...

Link.

Peter

just in case here is the link that peter discussed

29 votes ? by Kev Kharas Artists: Morrissey
Words: Kev Kharas The hoary old tussle between music paper the NME and Morrissey has resumed this morning, as the publication splatters its front page with controversial comments from the former Smiths man.

The cover, which you can see below, features a stern looking Morrissey glowering out from behind a superimposition of the words “The gates of England are flooded. The country’s been thrown away”.

“OH DEAR,” the tagline sighs, “NOT AGAIN.”

Quite. An immediate, even pre-emptive strike, has been posted by the singer’s manager at True To You, a Morrissey webzine.

“We were alerted to the fact that the NME were potentially doing a hatchet job on Morrissey,” manager Merck Mercuriadis claimed, “on the 16th of November by an anonymous post on morrissey-solo.com.

“We immediately contacted the magazine's editor Conor McNicholas who refuted the suggestion that the NME would be anything less than supportive and personally posted on the site categorically denying the "rumours and untruths."

Mercuriadis took McNicholas’s word for it, he says, until he received an email from NME staff writer Tim Jonze, who conducted the interview:

"Hi Merck,
Hope you're well. I should mention that for reasons I'll probably never understand, NME have rewritten the Moz piece. I had a read and virtually none of it is my words or beliefs so I've asked for my name to be taken off it. Just so you know when you read it.
Best,
Tim"

Still with this? The plot continues to thicken, with claim and counterclaim being tossed from trench to trench. Pow! Mercuriadis sends a letter to McNicholas, gets a reply three days later – after the magazine has gone to print.

“I need to drop you a line about the Morrissey piece running in NME this week,” the editor begins. “It's going to be much stronger than we'd originally discussed.

“Having lived with Morrissey's comments from the second interview and discussed with the editorial team we're running a piece where the comments aren't ducked and NME's position is made very clear.”

That position? “Liberal”, apparently, and one at odds to the interviewee’s views on immigration.

“Obviously no-one is accusing Morrissey of racism,” McNicholas protests. “That would be mad given what Morrissey says - but we do say that the language Morrissey uses is very unhelpful at a time of great tensions.

“I am - as I say in the magazine - fully confident that Morrissey's comments are simply the result of a man in his 50s looking back nostalgically on the England of his youth, but his reasoning for that change is unreasonably skewed towards immigration and as a title we think that's wrong.”

Mercuriadis protests, again, claiming that the “inflammatory editorial” is “only…intended to create controversy to boost their circulation at the expense of Morrissey’s integrity”. He points out that “no journalist is willing to be credited” with the piece and insists that he and his client “will be unrelenting in our quest to bring him / NME to justice.”

In case you didn’t get that link earlier, Mercuriadis has reprinted confidential documents here, where he made the claims.

The singer has been scrutinised by the NME since 1992, when he appeared live in a support slot for Madness in Finsbury Park, London draped in a Union Jack Flag.

There is, of course, the potential for a huge amount of punning in this article. While the jugular was more suitable for us, feel free to amuse yourselves and us below.

i like the fact that most websites and reporting of this issue seems to be in favour of the morrissey side of events and quoting true to you and not the NME

having read the artical now i find it actually quite funny , it reeks of desperation on the NMEs part trying to make a story , its got to be the worst move the NME has made in years

im my opinion Tim Jonzes should quit save face and keep working for the guardian , possibly even writing his side of events for all to see

the statement on True-to-you was signed by Merck Mercuriadis, but doesn't it sound like Morrissey wrote it? Even the play on word "eNeMEy" is so morrissey...reminds me of "solow"

Back
Top Bottom