New NME Morrissey interview???

I could be wrong. Forgive me if I am. But today, America is accused of trying to colonize the world, trying to convert the rest of the world to our way of thinking. And here's the part maybe I am misunderstanding. Isn't that pretty much what England tried to do for centuries? What the hell was India then? And the colonization of what's now America? I will freely confess that I am not a historian, but I think I got the gist of it. Colonialism isn't very nice. Maybe England is reaping what it sowed.

I like this, the image of the colonized coming "home" to the mother country to roost, much to the dismay of so many of the "proper" English.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Neither are the people of the UK today responsible for some of the things done hundreds of years ago.

I like this, the image of the colonized coming "home" to the mother country to roost, much to the dismay of so many of the "proper" English.

Isn't the trouble with the "reap what you sow" argument that you are tacitly admitting that immigration is bad? I noticed that somone in another thread said the same thing, more or less. "We've been giving them the shaft for so long, it's only fair we got it too." And isn't there a pretty big difference between "the shaft"-- meaning a colonial power landing in your country, decimating your population, raping your culture, pillaging your resources and enslaving your workers for profit-- and "the shaft" meaning opening an all-nite kebab hut in what was formerly a tea shop? This isn't exactly what I'd call "eye for an eye" warfare.

Not wagging any fingers, just...y'know, maybe that "coming home to roost" parallel doesn't hold up.

Last edited:
morrisseys manager seems to very capable of dealing with these issues , just done a google serch on him

heres a picture

merck.jpg

Isn't the trouble with the "reap what you sow" argument that you are tacitly admitting that immigration is bad?

I thought about that before I posted, but I think it's self-regulating, because it's only a "problem" to those who find it problematic. My appreciation of the image is limited to its relation to those who are upset about immigration.

EDIT: No fair adding to your original post after I'm already responding. I shan't say more (I hope), as I'm trying not to get sucked into this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about that before I posted, but I think it's self-regulating, because it's only a "problem" to those who find it problematic. My appreciation of the image is limited to its relation to those who are upset about immigration.

EDIT: No fair adding to your original post after I'm already responding. I shan't say more (I hope), as I'm trying not to get sucked into this thread.

I didn't add to my post after I read yours. I edited, then read yours. Anyway, no sweat, I wasn't accusing anyone of anything. If I wasn't horribly bored I wouldn't have bothered posting at all.

Any special reason for the Sean Taylor avatar?

I didn't add to my post after I read yours. I edited, then read yours. Anyway, no sweat, if I wasn't horribly bored I wouldn't have bothered posting at all.

Any special reason for the Sean Taylor avatar?

I was mostly kidding about the edit.

I'm a lifelong Skins fan (DC native), and find his death really sad.

Originally Posted by PregnantForTheLastTime - I could be wrong. Forgive me if I am. But today, America is accused of trying to colonize the world, trying to convert the rest of the world to our way of thinking. And here's the part maybe I am misunderstanding. Isn't that pretty much what England tried to do for centuries? What the hell was India then? And the colonization of what's now America? I will freely confess that I am not a historian, but I think I got the gist of it. Colonialism isn't very nice. Maybe England is reaping what it sowed.

I agree with that too. The British Empire extended its power to territories in India, Africa, North, Central and South America, Asia, Middle East, Australasia and Pacific. They [the British Empire] got what they wanted from them for centuries and nobody ever questioned what they were doing to those countrie's cultures. We can't turn a blind eye now and say "ah, but that was then... now I don't want them knocking at my door." For every action there's a reaction and it's the goverment's job to plan ahead an deal with this demand. But no, let's find the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq first... And I believe this is what Morrissey was about: the immigration is so out of the goverment's control that the police freaks out and kill an innocent man because, damn, he looked so alike to a terrorist! Morrissey isn't against the immigrants, he made it very clear, he's against the immigration the way it is now, that threaten innocent lives.

Last edited:
If Morrissey wins a libel suit maybe he can finally pay off Mike Joyce-- because we all know that's the real reason he doesn't move back to England.

Had not thought of that! It really adds a whole other dimension to this legal action against the NME thing.

So far, it seems like everyone wins on this thing. NME is getting a boost and Morrissey is getting a ton of free publicity. Maybe he should add some more dates? Judging from what's written here, many people are interpreting Morrissey's views to agree with their own, even though those views are clearly different. Interesting.

Can anyone explain to me what this British culture that we seem to be losing actually is?

I'm serious.

You mean having a cup of tea...oh wait....tea isn't grown in the UK.
Perhaps having a curry...no, shit.
That's it - having a Kebab in the early hours of Saturday morning while pissed...for f***s sake....
Got it - Saint George...no wait...he was supposedly from Lebanon.

What really f***s me off about this is that Moz put the NME is a great position to help to distinguish between immigration and racism. Instead they've just blurred the issue for their (stereotypical) teenage readers.
There is nothing racist in discussing immigration, and with the LoveMusicHateRacism factor - the NME could really have gone with this.

I thought it best to wait until I read what the NME had published before commenting (so thanks for the scans) - but saying things like "Morrissey implying" is out-of-order. If Morrissey wanted to make a point, he'd say it.

Conor McNicholas needs to consider his position. NME do speak for a generation - unfortunately a generation that will believe much that is written. He can't summarise an interview saying the interviewee "implied" racist tones - and he can't say that immigration and racism are the same thing - fostering this ignorance is one way to breed a racist society.

While Moz may benefit from the publicity in the short term, in the long term his sales WILL be harmed (in the UK at least) if he never deals with the NME again. It's well documented how influential the magazine in the UK (like it or not) has been, and will continue to be so.

Last edited:
You mean having a cup of tea...oh wait....tea isn't grown in the UK.
Perhaps having a curry...no, shit.
That's it - having a Kebab in the early hours of Saturday morning while pissed...for f***s sake....
Got it - Saint George...no wait...he was supposedly from Lebanon.

It's the football, Go Cristiano Ronaldo, go! :D

Judging from what's written here, many people are interpreting Morrissey's views to agree with their own, even though those views are clearly different. Interesting.

What makes you say their views are clearly different than Morrissey's?

This statement from Love Music Hate Racism, that "MORRISSEY NEEDS TO SPEAK OUT CLEARLY AGAINST RACISM AND FASCISM" is so ultimately self-defeating. He has been speaking out about these things for a long time. Have they even read the interview?

And calling him typically attention seeking is very telling. I guess they think that he planned this and waited for a chance halfway through the interview to say something controversial, which he would then try to clarify. I'm sure that Morrissey is capable of getting attention without reliving 1992. Can't they see who really attempted to benefit from this? It makes them look silly.

I know it sounds pathetic, but I actually feel a little sorry for Morrissey to see that there are all of these people trying to use him, and that in being honest he presents himself as a target. Most "stars" are trained by their publicists how to shut down anything controversial and how to basically give the same interview repeatedly. In actually giving a thoughtful interesting, and somewhat controversial answer to a question, he opens himself up to being used as a symbol to people selling magazines and t-shirts. I mean, I don't know this LMHR group, but they seem to exist to get their name in the papers, because when they post nonsense that ignores what Morrissey repeatedly said in the very interview they are trying to use against him, they make their organization look like the typical "let's protest something, that would be rad" group that does more harm than good for their cause.

What makes you say their views are clearly different than Morrissey's?

I'm sorry. I meant that people's views are different than each other's but they find that their views are in line with what they interpret to be Morrissey's views. I mean, Theo suddenly thinks Morrissey is making sense.

edit: by the way I have to say hat's off to Theo. He mentioned Muslims and it got picked up as part of the thread. Score.

I'm leaving now. Post Office. really. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom