New NME Morrissey interview???

Apart from the fact that "eNeMEy" has been in wide use for the last 30 years... :p

I think this pic might have slipped by without much notice earlier - it's a little grainy because I I had to enlarge it from the small original in the NME.
2072122776_b2a14cdfb7_o.jpg

By the way, I'm a little nervous about the upcoming statement from www.lovemusichateracism.com - according to Hugh they're going to put a statement on the site soon. Bear in mind they are working very closely with the NME. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Peter

NME:

"There is obviously a need for debate around taboo issues like immigration."

NME:

"We're not in the mood to play into grey areas"

Morons.

spot on. I have written a blog about this (see sig) if anyone cares.

Here it is:

MORRISSEY NEEDS TO SPEAK OUT CLEARLY AGAINST RACISM AND FASCISM

This week's NME magazine carries an interview with (to use their words) the "elder statesman of indie [rock]" Morrissey in which the singer once again has plenty to say about immigration and British society. While much of what he says during the interview is contradictory, there is much which unambiguously echoes racist ideas; utterly mistaken and dangerous ideas which feed fascist parties like the BNP.

There is no doubt that Morrissey is - as usual - being deliberately provocative in the interview, in a magazine which famously questioned if Morrissey was racist in 1992 after he waved a union jack and flirted with fascist and skinhead imagery when performing at a Madness gig. But for someone in a position of influence who should know better, there should be no room for irony or playing games when spouting words that could give confidence to racists and ultimately lead to racist attacks.

Morrissey has plenty of previous when it comes to flirting with racist and fascist language and ideas. Despite being a brilliant, talented and hugely influential artist, several of his songs - from “Bengali in Platforms” to “National Front Disco” have come across as bigoted and as sympathetic portrayals of racist skinhead and football hooligan ‘culture’. There was the 1992 “Madstock” episode already mentioned, and more recently in 2004 another ill-informed rant about immigration. In 1988 Morrissey could blame McDonalds and Americanisation for a perceived decline in British culture - whereas he now seems to have shifted to blaming foreigners and migrants in general.

Whatever the arguments over the presentation of this latest interview, the artists’ directly quoted words are what should be criticised - and it was Morrissey himself who raised the issue of immigration in the interview. Rather than talking of suing the NME, Morrissey should be taking responsibility for those words. A wealthy man, living now in Italy and until recently in LA, he perhaps doesn’t have to think about the potential consequences of his opinions - which come across as confused and out-of-touch.

He starts with an argument that’s all too common from the mouths of racists and fascists like the BNP - that in many parts of Britain “you’ll hear everything under the sun apart from the British accent”. The ridiculous example he chooses for this scenario is London’s Knightsbridge area - hardly your typical British area. Even if this were true - which it patently isn’t - does it matter? Britain is a much better place for being such a multicultural society. When challenged that he sounds “like a Tory”- he backtracks admitting that anyone ought to have the same freedom to travel the world that he enjoys.

Later on, when it’s pointed out that it’s hypocritical for the son of Irish immigrants to scaremonger about immigration, he says “it’s different now. Because the gates are flooded … Anybody can have access to England and join in.” This is total rubbish. Around 500,000 people came into the UK last year, while 400,000 left. At the same time, asylum applications fell 8% to just over 23,000. The same year, over 73% of refugee applications were refused by the government. Many thousands of genuine refugees are also locked up in government detention centres. But when Morrissey is asked if these statements are inflammatory, he says no, “they’re a statement of fact”.

Morrissey signed the founding statement of our sister campaign Unite Against Fascism - at a LMHR Libertines gig at the London Astoria in 2004, where he also signed a LMHR t-shirt. In the current NME interview he is asked directly if he supports LMHR and says “Yes .. I find racism very silly, almost to silly to discuss” - the families of racist murder victims like Anthony Walker might take issue with the idea that racism is “silly”. In the same interview he calls Jean Charles de Menezes “the face of modern Britain” and condemns Jean Charles’s murder. But if Morrissey is going to continue to make promote racist opinions in interviews - despite years of being challenged and corrected on these opinions - then he deserves to be heavily criticised. David Bowie - a Morrissey hero - flirted with fascism in the late 1970s but recanted and later gave money to an Anti Nazi League music carnival. Morrissey must similarly make it crystal clear that he’s fundamentally opposed to racism and fascism in Britain and the rest of the world today and encourage his many fans to do the same.

(from http://www.lovemusichateracism.com/)

Last edited:
I have lost so much respect for that campaign.

I love music and I hate racism, much like Moz.

But to lump him with the BNP and fascists for his views as expressed in the NME this week, is quite frankly hysterical, meaningless, opportunistic... and the rest. A true disgrace.

I think this pic might have slipped by without much notice earlier - it's a little grainy because I I had to enlarge it from the small original in the NME.
2072122776_b2a14cdfb7_o.jpg

By the way, I'm a little nervous about the upcoming statement from www.lovemusichateracism.com - according to Hugh they're going to put a statement on the site soon. Bear in mind they are working very closely with the NME. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Peter

bigger pics

Here it is:

This week's NME magazine carries an interview with (to use their words) the "elder statesman of indie [rock]" Morrissey in which the singer once again has plenty to say about immigration and British society. While much of what he says during the interview is contradictory, there is much which unambiguously echoes racist ideas; utterly mistaken and dangerous ideas which feed fascist parties like the BNP.

"you're either with us or against us."

I tried to post the following but I dunno if they vet comments first cos it's not showing up:

Being a sentient human being, I was really in support of your campaign. However Morrissey does not need to encourage his fans to do anything, we speak and think for ourselves, something the NME clearly has a problem with. Morrissey campaigns fiercely for animal charities, and i can't blame him for choosing those over other charities, as people seem keen to stab him in the back at the first given opportunity. Don't tell Morrissey what he 'must' do, Morrissey will do as he pleases. All Morrissey's fans know he is too intelligent to be a racist. Even the NME knows this, it is just trying to sell papers in a struggling market.
I am very disappointed (yet unsurprised) that you have chosen to align yourself with the NME on this occasion, as I feel you will alienate many Morrissey fans, the vast, vast majority of which are non-racists.

Here it is:

<Sigh>

They just don't get it, do they? It's so easy to use the word "Morrissey" and the word (Abbreviation) "BNP" in the same sentence for their own ends, but the connection?

I despair.

Peter

**PS** By the way, I have a spare copy of the NME if anyone non-UK would like it, let me know.

<Sigh>

They just don't get it, do they? It's so easy to use the word "Morrissey" and the word (Abbreviation) "BNP" in the same sentence for their own ends, but the connection?

I despair.

Peter

Actually, the word Morrisssey was used in the previous sentence.

The sensationalist language they wrap around the interview is amusing. I agree it sounds like they are picking a fight. “A jarring moment when he steers the conversation…” “shocked” that 15 years on…Moz would go there again. They asked the questions, Moz answered.

Also referring to Moz in the email as a “man in his 50’s” seems a little taunting.

But Moz had to know that his repsonses would stir things up, maybe bored of reading the latest “Morrisey Hair Thread” on solo, looking for some new content.

Here it is:

Interesting for two reasons.

One, they score a small but valid hit against Morrissey. It may be criminally unfair, but in today's soundbite media circus it is often tough to distinguish superficially similar arguments made by radically different people. It's naive not to see that Morrissey's remarks probably do echo the BNP to some degree. Once you look a little deeper, however, the differences between Morrissey and the BNP are vast. No one susceptible to Morrissey's whole influence (aside from a few strange cases) would join or support a movement that espoused violence and hatred. Still, nuanced arguments about these subjects made in public are perhaps impossible-- in that sense, Morrissey's comments were doomed from the start and it might indeed have been irresponsible to let slip remarks that could be distorted and used to promote causes he does not support. Unfair, but that's the situation. McNicholas meant this, I believe, when he said that "privately" his remarks were "benign". His point was that once the words escape into the air they can be made to serve malicious ends. Which only makes McNicholas look dumber for megaphoning them to his readership.

Two, LMHR is only making that climate worse by demanding that Morrissey mindlessly parrot their slogans. Their statement merely adds to the confusion and will cause more and harsher partisan bickering. They're hurting their own cause and driving away intelligent people who don't want to be talked to like children-- in other words, the majority of people who could really help them. Yet another depressing case of idiots running campaigns for noble causes.

Last edited:
I liked this comment over at Drownedinsound.com very much...

"The difference between Morrissey and Conor McNicholas is

that people like Morrissey. Therefore it is possible to forgive him for being a bit right-wing, whereas it is completely impossible to forgive Conor McNicholas for turning the NME into a big cheerleading nonsense rag for the industry band machine.

I don't give two shits what Morrissey's views on race are, to be honest (even though he's clearly not racist, just anti-immigration), because he has given something beautiful to the world in the form of the music of The Smiths, particularly the first album and The Queen Is Dead, music that has enriched mine and many other peoples' lives, and music which has made me at times feel substantially less alone. And Conor McNicholas has done what, exactly? Made the Arctic Monkeys and Razorlight look more important? f*** you, McNicholas, f*** you and your whole money-chasing operation.
MelesMeles | 28 Nov '07, 14:40
"

Worm;
"Sir Andrew Green is the chairman of Migrationwatch UK."

This group speaks from a "restrict-immigration" agenda and so does not represent a balanced view. Take a look at articles in recent Independent newspaper or Guardian newspaper. You can find them online...for a more wide ranging debate.

Yeah, thanks. I dug around a bit more and pretty much found that out. The Times bears the paw prints of Rupert Murdoch, I guess. Sorry 'bout that.

Still, I think my point stands-- Morrissey was addressing a "hot topic" (*groan*) when he shared his thoughts about immigration. Reading the NME you'd think he suddenly went wild-eyed like some crazy skinhead and started going all "Mein Kampf" on Jonze.

This country is rubbish. It's not because of immigration but the imposition that anyone not considered a minority has to act as if they live in a culture-less vacuum, neither hold nor express views extending from their culture.

Moz dared to express genuinely held views, so what?

No wonder pop stars are sterilised and view-free. Anyone who doesn't express the blandest of sentiments is swiftly weeded out and discarded.

So Viva Morrissey! I say

I personally find groups like that irritating because they descend out of the woodwork and try to make someone who may have made poor choice of words sorry that they ever lived....but then they don't do anything USEFUL to even justify why they even bothered in the first place. they're like the "we'll go get some donations from the frou-frou gift story to auction off so that we can send a check to people we don't actually want to mingle with" dinner club.

many of those guys see about as many immigrants in real life as morrissey does when he's peering out of his tour bus. They're probably like Oprah in that their hard-luck cases were pre-screened by their producers (usually, they are "worthy" because they "aren't on drugs, were struck with illness so they can't work," etc. even though there are thousands of able-bodied people who are down on their luck, but it's OK to hate them) and they have nothing else to do with them except to stick their faces in front of a camera and show what wonderful human beings they are for helping the drug-free physically handicapped people, but that's ok because they have a website and have written a check to those people.

in this case, all they see are deep pockets and something high-profile to attach their name to so they can generate a bit of publicity. how are they any better than the NME?

i can hear it now.

"oooh. if we're lucky, moz will pay us a bit of hush money--oops, i mean make a donation to the cause!"

Interesting for two reasons.

One, they score a small but valid hit against Morrissey. It may be criminally unfair, but in today's soundbite media circus it is often tough to distinguish superficially similar arguments made by radically different people. It's naive not to see that Morrissey's remarks probably do echo the BNP to some degree. Once you look a little deeper, however, the differences between Morrissey and the BNP are vast. No one susceptible to Morrissey's whole influence (aside from a few strange cases) would join or support a movement that espoused violence and hatred. Still, nuanced arguments about these subjects made in public are perhaps impossible-- in that sense, Morrissey's comments were doomed from the start and it might indeed have been irresponsible to let slip remarks that could be distorted and used to promote causes he does not support. Unfair, but that's the situation. McNicholas meant this, I believe, when he said that "privately" his remarks were "benign". His point was that once the words escape into the air they can be made to serve malicious ends. Which only makes McNicholas look dumber for megaphoning them to his readership.

Two, LMHR is only making that climate worse by demanding that Morrissey mindlessly parrot their slogans. Their statement merely adds to the confusion and will cause more and harsher partisan bickering. They're hurting their own cause and driving away intelligent people who don't want to be talked to like children-- in other words, the majority of people who could really help them. Yet another depressing case of idiots running campaigns for noble causes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom