New Johnny Marr single: The Tracers

I think this shows some promise. Johnny's voice is something of a weak link though. He's not an awful singer by any means, but his vocals simply lack anything distinctive or memorable.

That's weird you say that, because I think his vocal are, day I say it? Very sexy! Low and intimate, like whispering in your ear. I think it's my favorite part of this song.

Agree with everyone getting Echo and the Bunnymen vibes. Personally, I can't listen to this enough!!

Somebody really needs to tell him and his band they look like a bunch of wankers. They look like a bunch of 14 year olds at a disco trying to appear hard and moody to impress the girls on the other side of the church hall. He's surrounded by so many sycophants and yes-men. I particularly liked his 'invisible tom-toms' dance. This guy used to look cool! In a different century. And the song absolutely sucks. It wouldn't get airplay anywhere if it wasn't 'Johnny f***ing Marr!'.

I agree with the too many HOO HOO but the music is nice. Still happy to see him live in Dublin next month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Promising start, sounds good… but just as I was waiting for it to “get started”, it ended. Is that the full song?

It sounds like Johnny “gone 80s” – but covering Echo & the Bunnymen rather than the Smiths.

Somebody really needs to tell him and his band they look like a bunch of wankers. They look like a bunch of 14 year olds at a disco trying to appear hard and moody to impress the girls on the other side of the church hall. He's surrounded by so many sycophants and yes-men. I particularly liked his 'invisible tom-toms' dance. This guy used to look cool! In a different century. And the song absolutely sucks. It wouldn't get airplay anywhere if it wasn't 'Johnny f***ing Marr!'.

Maybe his band need to get leisure suits and dance behind him?

He's come a long way from this!

I really like Johnny but I find his whole american "radness" schtick and Johnny 'f***in' Marr thing corny as f*** - comes across as trying too hard to be down with the young ones. Since around the time of the launch of the original Healers album he's re-invented himself as this spiritual thinker but I think he was more interesting as the mancunian wide boy of the Smiths and Electronic days. If you look back at his earlier website Q&As pre-Healers he comes across as just a nice, regular guy with no media image unlike today.

When did that man turn into an icon? I love him and I love Morrissey. I've got. the best of both worlds.

I'm now going to listen to The Messanger to get me in the mood for his new album.

The album sleeve is awful. If it were Moz' album everybody would be all over it.

Apologies Dingo, I went a bit over the top with my praise for Johnny yesterday, but having listened again in a more sober frame of mind, it has got my hopes up for the album - fingers crossed.

The album sleeve is awful. If it were Moz' album everybody would be all over it.

It's not awful but I do agree that people hold more extreme expectations of morrissey than they do johnny

Back
Top Bottom