New album releases 2021 - Anything worthwhile?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
Not an album and not 'original' but I've been listening to Sam Vance-Law's cover EP NDW a lot over the last couple of weeks.

Arlo Parks' Collapsed In Sunbeams is also pretty good.

As you said, the SVL EP is not really original, but interesting for sure to listen to the songs being sung with an English accent. Makes you wonder why he chose these NDW songs, in particular Ina Deter. Just to be funny? Was she NDW after all? I wouldve expected some Hubert Kah, Joachim Witt or Fräulein Menke. Belated Oktoberfest Music?

I listened to some of the Arlo Parks songs a couple of weeks ago but it left me cold. Not saying that it's bad, but rhythmically and vocally there is nothing for me to bite into.

As you said, the SVL EP is not really original, but interesting for sure to listen to the songs being sung with an English accent. Makes you wonder why he chose these NDW songs, in particular Ina Deter. Just to be funny? Was she NDW after all? I wouldve expected some Hubert Kah, Joachim Witt or Fräulein Menke. Belated Oktoberfest Music?

I'd say Ina Deter counts as NDW and I'm pretty sure he chose this particular song because the lyrics appealed to him. (Edit: He actually said in an interview he just really wanted to sing the line "Er muss nett sein, auch im Bett.") It's very in line (lyrically) with what he usually writes (I loved his debut album Homotopia as well). I've always adored the original so this was right up my alley.

The second song is an even stranger choice, Bärchen und die Milchbubis is very obscure and more pop punk than NDW. I suppose he didn't just want to include well known hits on the EP. Thankfully the result doesn't sound very Oktoberfest to me...

Last edited:
«Now and Then« by Paul Stanley’s Soul Station. There are some great songs on that album, although the autotune is prevalent on a few tracks.
Thanks. Sounds like a solidly good and listenable album. I think the surprising thing about the album is that Paul Stanley is singing these soul songs. Well, that's something.
I will give it a closer listen. Seems there are even 5 original tracks on the album.

I enjoyed listening to Kurt Vile's EP Speed, Sound, Lonely

released January 15th, 2021

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really into the album "Pastel" by FRITZ, if you're into a kind of dreampop/indie/shoegaze sound - she's Australian, I think?

And the album "Ignorance" by The Weather Station (from Canada) is great, too - kind of a mix of Joni Mitchell and The War on Drugs...
I’ve dipped in to both of these: I’m really enjoying the FRITZ LP. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom