New album of Jeff Buckley cover versions includes two Smiths songs

was just coming to state this and to say i cant wait as i love him and his talent.

from pitchfork:

"Unheard Jeff Buckley Recordings to Be Released, Including Covers of the Smiths, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan.

A new album of Jeff Buckley recordings, titled You and I, will be released March 16 next year, NPR reports. The 10-track release compiles songs recorded early in his career, in order to show producers what he had in mind for his debut album. Most of the tracks are covers, including the Smiths' "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" and "I Know It's Over", Led Zeppelin's "Night Flight", and Bob Dylan's "Just Like a Woman". Below, check out the full tracklist, and scroll down to hear Buckley's take on Sly & The Family Stone's "Everyday People" in full.
You and I:
01 Just Like A Woman (Bob Dylan cover)
02 Everyday People (Sly & The Family Stone cover)
03 Don't Let The Sun Catch You Cryin' (First recorded by Louis Jordan)
04 Grace (original)
05 Calling You (Jevetta Steele cover)
06 Dream Of You And I (original)
07 The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (The Smiths cover)
08 Poor Boy Long Way From Home (traditional blues song, Bukka White cover)
09 Night Flight (Led Zeppelin cover)
10 I Know It's Over (The Smiths cover)"

http://pitchfork.com/news/62075-unh...-covers-of-the-smiths-led-zeppelin-bob-dylan/

i know its over is gonna be an interesting one i think. itll be interesting to see how he works that vocal. i expect the boy with the thorn etc will be more straightforward.

I know it's over has already been covered by him and its sublime!

Re: Previously unreleased Jeff Buckley collection features two Smiths covers

Oh, this is wonderful news!

was just coming to state this and to say i cant wait as i love him and his talent.

from pitchfork:

"Unheard Jeff Buckley Recordings to Be Released, Including Covers of the Smiths, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan.

A new album of Jeff Buckley recordings, titled You and I, will be released March 16 next year, NPR reports. The 10-track release compiles songs recorded early in his career, in order to show producers what he had in mind for his debut album. Most of the tracks are covers, including the Smiths' "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" and "I Know It's Over", Led Zeppelin's "Night Flight", and Bob Dylan's "Just Like a Woman". Below, check out the full tracklist, and scroll down to hear Buckley's take on Sly & The Family Stone's "Everyday People" in full.
You and I:
01 Just Like A Woman (Bob Dylan cover)
02 Everyday People (Sly & The Family Stone cover)
03 Don't Let The Sun Catch You Cryin' (First recorded by Louis Jordan)
04 Grace (original)
05 Calling You (Jevetta Steele cover)
06 Dream Of You And I (original)
07 The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (The Smiths cover)
08 Poor Boy Long Way From Home (traditional blues song, Bukka White cover)
09 Night Flight (Led Zeppelin cover)
10 I Know It's Over (The Smiths cover)"

http://pitchfork.com/news/62075-unh...-covers-of-the-smiths-led-zeppelin-bob-dylan/

i know its over is gonna be an interesting one i think. itll be interesting to see how he works that vocal. i expect the boy with the thorn etc will be more straightforward.

Heart breaking and bittersweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw Moz in Memphis in a few years ago, I drove by the exit to the river where Jeff drowned and almost started crying while driving down the highway.

Regarding Tim, this is one of the most beautiful music performances I have ever heard

New Album Of Previously Unheard Jeff Buckley Recordings To Be Released - NPR

Excerpt:

The artist's latest posthumous release, You and I, is a collection of very early recordings coming out on Legacy Recordings in March...

You and I will be out on Columbia/Legacy Recordings on March 16.

Track List:

1. Just Like A Woman (Bob Dylan cover)
2. Everyday People (Sly & The Family Stone cover)
3. Don't Let The Sun Catch You Cryin' (First recorded by Louis Jordan)
4. Grace (original)
5. Calling You (Jevetta Steele cover)
6. Dream Of You And I (original)
7. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (The Smiths cover)
8. Poor Boy Long Way From Home (traditional blues song, Bukka White cover)
9. Night Flight (Led Zeppelin cover)
10. I Know It's Over (The Smiths cover)

One of the best covers he recorded is not included : it is "Killing Time", originally composed by Siouxsie / The Creatures.

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=u2AUzbhWQoY[/video]

Last edited:
If I were a 17 year old girl circa 1997, I'd be far more excited about this. :sleeping:

Re: Jeff Buckley cover The Smiths

I love Jeff Buckley so much, but his covers of I know it's over shows that the smiths were not only the lyrics, but the music as well. Johnny marr's music added that "Je ne sais quoi" that is missing in Jeff's versions, in my humble opinion

Last edited:
I see that the UK vinyl singles chart lists Jeff Buckley's cover of The Boy with the Thorn in His Side at number 3. At some point in the past it was #1 in the chart.

Last edited:
I see that the UK vinyl singles chart lists Jeff Buckley's cover of The Boy with the Thorn in His Side at number 3. At some point in the pats it was #1 in the chart.

Where can we see these charts? Would be interesting to compare with the TTY figures for QID and Hatful.

From Live in Chicago DVDEdit
  • f*** off! Just f*** off!
    • (in response to an audience member yelling "Tim Buckley." Jeff followed "f*** off" by adding, "the 60's are bullshit, the 70's almost big big bullshit, 80's... I don't even need to tell you, except for The Smiths maybe. Get out of it! Just get out of it! Shit's happening now, it's all about now, now now now. Bigger, faster, sweatier, skinnier, whiter, blacker, Gracer". Then Jeff goes into playing his song 'Grace'. )
He was obviously a fan of the smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom