MY YATQ REVIEW!!!!

D

Danny from Sichuan

Ok, So I've been out tonight, had myself a good time at a few bars around Newcastle, met a nice old geezer who used to live in Manc and Crouch End just like myself, went to see a great film with the very beautiful and sexy Kirsten Dunst in, and then I cam on, surfed here for a bit, and decided to go to bed. Thing is I thought I would open my post before nodding off. I opened the usual array of credit card adverts, tax letters, bank statements, hotel booking confirmation, cheques from E-bay customers of mine and most interestingly of all a small parcel from my lovely employers at channel4.com. Only difference was this wasnt the usual shite they send me to review of some god awful demo from a bunch of teenage green day wannabe wankers, this was my lovely employers being very kind to their N.East live music correspondant and sending me what they knew I would kill (or suck penis) for, Morrissey's new LP "You Are The Quarry". Now I've heard a few of the songs live, picked up a few off the net over the last 2 years, and heard a few minute long teasers but this is the first time I have heard the album in its unbutchered state and I am a very very happy man. At last all those days off attending shit gigs, talking to tossers who know less about music than my little s club loving sister, and gathering dates for gigs that no one is going to see or care about, at last I have a reward above the insulting salary I recieve. For I now hold the keys to heaven, 1 week early (more if I ever opened my bloody post), I have Morrissey, playing now on my CD player. And here is my track by track review:

1. America is not the World

A biting song directed at Moz's adopted homeland, But a beautiful song, if anything a bit lightweight and not far enough reaching in its criticism of George Bush though the line about his eyes and smile brings tears to my eyes. Also How often is it that "you fat pig" has been sung so beautifully? I heard this song before and it was one of the easiest songs to like on the album, not rousing but a gentle, beautiful song, usually songs I like right away lost their appeal but this one has not deminished one iota, and to hear it in the context of this album makes it all the more beautiful. Take this "Nu"-Rock bands, because Moz can deliver biting lyrics with a melody one can have an orgasm too and with a voice we can understand, learn fools!

Lyrics:
America your head's too big, Because America, Your belly's too big
And I love you, I just wish you'd stay where you is

In America, The land of the free, they said, And of opportunity, In a just and a truthful way
But where the president, Is never black, female or gay, And until that day
You’ve got nothing to say to me, To help me believe

In America, It brought you the hamburger, Well America you know where, You can shove your hamburger
And don't you wonder, Why in Estonia they say, Hey you, Big fat pig
You fat pig, You fat pig

Steely Blue eyes with no love in them, Scan The World,
And a humourless smile, With no warmth within, Greets the world
And I, I have got nothing, To offer you
No-no-no-no-no
Just this heart deep and true, Which you say you don't need

See with your eyes, Touch with your hands, please, Hear through your ears, Know in your soul, please
For haven't you me with you now?
And I love you, I love you, I love you, And I love you, I love you, I love you

2.Irish Blood English Heart

Yes its my name, well spotted. 2 years ago after seeing Moz live at the Royal Albert Hall I fell in love with this song and its lyrics after just 1 hearing and since the name summed me up I took it as my own. Probably the oldest song on the album and the one that has stayed truest to its origins though like the other Royal Albert Hall songs it is slightly slowed down. Still a stomper though and the best single this year without a doubt (also the b-side "Never played symphonies" is a classic). If you havent heard it yet then buy it, lock yourself in a darkened room and put it on repeat. Moz's finest pop song in 10 years. And a sub 3 minute classic.

Lyrics:
Irish Blood, English Heart

Irish blood, English heart, This I'm made of
There is no one on earth I'm afraid of
And no regime can buy or sell me
I've been dreaming of a time when
To be English is not to be baneful
To be standing by the flag not feeling shameful, Racist or partial

Irish blood, English heart, This I'm made of
There is no one on earth I'm afraid of
And I will die with both of my hands untied

I've been dreaming of a time when
The English are sick to death of Labour, And Tories
And spit upon the name Oliver Cromwell
And denounce this royal line that still salute him
And will salute him forever

3.I have forgiven Jesus.
Among the finest lyrical performances of Moz's career and like America it is another slow burner with a beautiful melody, a real grower and one for the unlucky in love out there. Sure to offend Christians around the world, and I hope it does!!! A beautiful song, no other way to describe it, not single material but no filler. Again Jerry Finn's production is top notch, So far this is Morrissey's best album in terms of the production and the music, though perhaps it doesnt have the cohesion of Vauxhall and I.

I Have Forgiven Jesus

I was a good kid, I wouldn't do you no harm, I was a nice kid, With a nice paper round
Forgive me any pain, I may have brung to you, With God's help I know, I'll always be near to you
But Jesus hurt me, When he deserted me, but, I have forgiven you Jesus
For all the desire, You placed in me when there's nothing I can do with this desire

I was a good kid, Through hail and snow, I'd go just to moon you, I carried my heart in my hand
Do you understand, Do you understand

But Jesus hurt me, When he deserted me, but, I have forgiven you Jesus
For all of the love, You placed in me when there's no one I can turn to with this love

Monday - humiliation, Tuesday - suffocation, Wednesday - condescension, Thursday - is pathetic
By Friday life has killed me, By Friday life has killed me, Oh pretty one, Oh pretty one

Why did you give me so much desire, When there is nowhere I can go to offload this desire?
And why did you give me so much love in a loveless world, When there is no one I can turn to
To unlock all this love?
And why did you stick in self deprecating bones and skin?, Jesus do you hate me?
Why did you stick in self deprecating bones and skin?
Do you hate me?, Do you hate me?, Do you hate me?, Do you hate me?, Do you hate me?

4.Come back to Camden
The most beautiful traditional piano led Morrissey song on the album, up there with Trouble Loves me, or anything from Vauxhall and I. Never single material, but in my humble opinion the best song on the album for its beauty and typical "English" Morrissey lyrics, This song even makes me miss Camden! His voice hasnt sounded in better shape for years.

Come Back To Camden

There is something I wanted to tell you, It's so funny you'll kill yourself laughing
But then I, I look around, And I remember that I am alone, Alone. For evermore

The tile yard all along the railings, Up a discoloured dark brown staircase
Here you'll find, despair and I, Calling to you with what's left of my heart, My heart, For evermore

Drinking tea with the taste of the Thames, Sullenly on a chair on the pavement
Here you'll find, my thoughts and I, And here is the very last plea from my heart
My heart. For evermore, Where taxi drivers never stop talking
Under slate grey Victorian sky, Here you will find, despair and I
And here I am every last inch of me is yours, Yours, For evermore

Your leg came to rest against mine, Then you lounged with knees up and apart
And me and my heart, we knew, We just knew, For evermore

Where taxi drivers never stop talking, Under slate grey Victorian sky
Here you'll find, my heart and I, And still we say come back, Come back to Camden
And I'll be good, I'll be good, I'll be good, I’ll be good

5.Im not sorry
One of the fillers on the album im afraid, Nothing particulaly wrong with it, just neither has the beauty of some of the other slow songs, or the rousing choruses of others. Just an average song which is a real slow burner. Perhaps the weakest song on the album though it does have a certain charm. Not my favourite though by any means.

I'm Not Sorry

On returning, I can't believe this world is still turning, The pressure's on, Because the pleasure hasn't gone
And I'm, Not sorry for, For the things I've done
And I'm, Not looking for, Just anyone

On competing, Oh, when will this tired heart stop beating?, It's all a game, Existence is only a game
And I'm, Not sorry for, For the things I've done
And I'm, Not looking for, Just anyone

I'm, Slipping below the water line, I'm, Slipping below the water line
Reach for my hand, And, And the race is won
Reject my hand, And, The damage is done

I'm, Slipping below the water line
I'm, Slipping below the water line

The woman of my dreams, She, She never came along
The woman of my dreams, Well, There never was one

And I'm, Not sorry for, For the things I've said
There's a wild man in my head, There's a wild man In my head

6.The World is full of Crashing Bores
Yet another classic Moz title, and a classic Moz song, though dissapointingly not as good here as the liver version. The lyrics are still fantastic (esp the dig at pop idols, and the depreciating humour) as is the tune, but its been slowed down ever so slightly and so from being one of the best Morrissey songs live it fails to live up to that here and is just a very good song now. Still perhaps a future single, if only it was a tiny bit faster (like it was originally).

The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores

You must be wondering how, The boy next door turned out, Have a care, But don't stare, Because he's still there
Lamenting policewomen policemen silly women taxmen, Uniformed whores, They who wish to hurt you, Work within the law
This world is full, So full of crashing bores, And I must be one, ‘Cos no one ever turns to me to say
Take me in your arms, Take me in your arms, And love me

You must be wondering how, The boy next door turned out, Have a care, And say a prayer, Because he's still there

Lamenting policewomen policemen silly women taxmen, Uniformed whores, Educated criminals, Work within the law
This world is full, Oh oh, So full of crashing bores, And I must be one, cos no one ever turns to me to say
Take me in your arms, Take me in your arms, And love me, And love me

What really lies, Beyond the constraints of my mind, Could it be the sea, With fate mooning back at me
No it's just more lock jawed pop stars, Thicker than pig shit, Nothing to convey
They’re so scared to show intelligence, It might smear their lovely career

This world, I am afraid, Is designed for crashing bores, I am not one, I am not one
You don't understand, You don't understand, And yet you can, Take me in your arms and love me, Love me, And love me

Take me in your arms and love me, Love me, love me, Take me in your arms and love me, Take me in your arms and love me
Would you do, Would you do, What you should do, Oh oh oh, Oh oh

7.How could anyone possibly know how I feel
I wasnt too keen on this one at first, but hearing the finished album version I've changed my mind, a bit of a rockier one, reminds me of many things from the past, its a 1 verse rocker, no distinct chorus, but a grower, not single potential I wouldnt think, but a good album filler definitely, and Jerry Finn's Skatepunk influences can be heard.

How Could Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel

She told me she loved me, Which means, She must be insane
I've had my face dragged in , Fifteen miles of shit, And I do not, And I do not, And I do not like it
So how can anybody say, They know how I feel, The only one around here who is me, Is me

They said they respect me, Which means, Their judgement is crazy
I've had my face dragged in, Fifteen miles of shit, And I do not, And I do not, And I do not like it
So how can anybody say, They know how I feel, When they are they, And only I am I

He said he wants to befriend me, Which means, He can't possibly know me
The voices of the real, And the imagined cry, The future is passing you by, The future is passing you by

So how can anybody possibly think they know how I feel, Everybody look, See pain, And walk away
And as for you in your uniform, Your smelly uniform, You think you can be rude to me
Because you wear a uniform, A smelly uniform, And so you think you can be rude to me

But even I, As sick as I am, I would never be you
Even I, As sick as I am, I would never be you
Even I, Sick and depraved, A traveller to the grave
I would never be you, I would never be you

8. The First of the gang to die
Remember when I said IBEH was the best pop song this year, well I lied, this is. His next single and his best for a decade. Heard it live a few years ago and wasnt keen, heard it on the Jeremy Vine show and though "hmm ok", Now Ive heard the finished version I must say this has the best tune a Moz song has since Bona Drag and his most passionate vocal since "we hate it when our friends become successful". It will be a single, it will be number 1. If any song on this album shows this man is still a force to be reckoned with in the pop world than this is it, Dont get me wrong I prefer other songs on this album. But in terms of the pure pop song this one is perfect. Welcome back Moz

The First Of The Gang To Die

You have never been in love, Until you have seen the stars, reflect in the reservoirs
And you have never been in love, Until you have seen the dawn rise, behind the home for the blind

We are the pretty, petty thieves, And you're standing on our streets
Where Hector was the first of the gang with a gun in his hand
And the first to do time, the first of the gang to die, Oh my
Hector was the first of the gang with a gun in his hand
And the first to do time, the first of the gang to die, Oh my

You have never been in love, Until you've seen the sunlight thrown, Over smashed human bone

We are the pretty, petty thieves, And you're standing on our streets
Where Hector was the first of the gang with a gun in his hand
And the first to do time, the first of the gang to die, Such a silly boy
Hector was the first of the gang with a gun in his hand
And the bullet in his gullet and the first lost lad to go under the sod

And he stole from the rich and the poor and not very rich and the very poor
And he stole our hearts away
He stole our hearts away, He stole our hearts away
He stole our hearts away, He stole our hearts away

9.Let Me Kiss You
I havent really heard this song enough yet (well twice only) to make a judgement yet, but it sounds like a decent enough album track, maybe a grower but right now i'd put it with "im not sorry" for the position of album filler. Give me more time and I might change my mind but at the moment its another slow burner thats a decent album track but not worthy of his Smiths days. Reminds me of Crowded House.

Let Me Kiss You

There’s a place in the sun, For anyone who has the will to chase one
And I think I've found mine, Yes, I do believe I have found mine, so

Close your eyes, And think of someone, You physically admire
And let me kiss you, Let me kiss you

I've zig-zagged all over America, And I cannot find a safety haven
Say, would you let me cry, On your shoulder
I've heard that you’ll will try anything twice

Close your eyes, And think of someone, You physically admire,
And let me kiss you, Let me kiss you

But then you open your eyes, And you see someone, That you physically despise
But my heart is open
My heart is open to you

10.All the Lazy Dykes
Lol yes it sounds a great song doesnt it? And it isnt bad to be honest, again one of the fillers (thats 3 on the album then really), but a nice pleasent song with another lively yet beautiful melody. Not single material, but not one i'd skip through.

All The Lazy Dykes

All the lazy dykes, Cross armed at the palms, Then legs astride their bikes, Indigo burns on their arms
One sweet day, An emotional whirl, You will be good to yourself, And you'll come and join the girls

All the lazy dykes, They pity how you live, Just "somebody's wife", You give, and you give,
And you give, and you give, Give, and you give
And one sweet day , An emotional whirl, You will be good to yourself, And you'll come and join the girls

Touch me, Squeeze me, Hold me too tightly, And when you look at me you actually see me
And I've, Never felt so alive, In the whole of my life, In the whole of my life

Free yourself, Be yourself, Come to the Palms and see yourself
And at last your life begins, At last your life begins
At last your life begins, At last your life begins

11.I like you
When I heard this live I thought it was up there with the greatest Moz song and i'm not going to change my mind now! Though like Crashing Bores its been slowed down a little unfortunetly (unlike FOTGTD which hasnt and sounds better than ever). Would have been an amazing single and still will be I think though not the standout track it would have been otherwise. Also it seems to be over run with New Order Style effects, or maybe the Lightning seeds I dunno but those electronic beats are from somewhere. Anyway still a standout track and again a future single. Also perhaps the greatest lyrics Moz ever could have sung to his fans. Thanks dude we like you too

Something in you caused me to take a new tact with you,
you were going through something i had just about scraped through,
Why dya think I let you get away, with the things you say to me?
Could it be I like you? Its so shameful of me, I like you,
No one I ever knew or have spoken to resembles you,
this is or good or bad all depending on my general mood,
Why dya think I let you get away with all the things you say to me?
Magistrates who spend their lives, hiding their mistakes, they look at you and I and envy makes them cry, envy makes them cry,
Forces of containment they shove their fat faces into mine,
you and I just smile coz were thinking the same lines.
Why dya think I let you get away with all the things you say to me?
Youre not right in the head and nor am I,
and this is why
Youre not right in the head and nor am I,
and this is why
This is why I like you, I like you, I like you
This is why I like you, I like you, I like you
Because youre not right in the head, and nor am I
and this is why
youre not right in the head
and nor am I
and this is why
this is why I like you, I like you, I like you,
I like you,
this is why I like you, I like you, I like you,
I like you,
This is why I like you

12.You know I couldnt last
Rubber ring, paint a vulger picture, speedway, why dont you find out for yourself. All those great Morrissey digs at the record industry and press, well this is the sequal to beat them all. A rousing finale to the album, up there with his best work and along with Camden the best song on the LP. I cant fault this song in anyway. Maybe its not quite Speedway, just the same as the album isnt quite Vauxhall and I. But you would never guess this man has been hiding in Hollywood for 7 years, This is Morrissey at his best. I was going to sum up the album seperately but this song is playing now and I know you cant hear it but it is just rendering me speechless. No This isnt the Queen is Dead this album, Nor is Vauxhall and I, but its as close as you can get. Its by far and away the best production of any of his solo albums despite the slowing down of 2 of the best songs :wallbash: but this man has been away for 7 years, its been 11 years since his best solo work, He was heated universally and now the press are glad to have him back (cept Q and the daily star but thats another issue). Here he explains the flag comments, he puts to bed the racism, he shows he can put out a tune and not just poetry. If this is what a 45 year old man can do after a 7 year break than god help us if he follows it up quicky, Its the best thing he's ever done solo bar Vauxhall and I which no solo artist will beat, and its the 3rd best work of his career after Vauxhall and the Queen is Dead. His voice sunds as glamerous as ever, his lyrics are still the best in pop world, and now the man has rememered how to write a tune. Morrissey welcome back. The music world is better for your return. Lets hope this time the lies wont follow you to drive you away again. Youve made 2004 for me, just like you made 2002. Welcome home

heres the lyrics to the last song on the album:

You Know I Couldn't Last

The whispering, May hurt you, But the printed word might kill you
The whispering, May hurt you, But the printed word might kill you So don't let the blue, The blue eyes fool you, They're just gelignite, Loaded and aiming right between your eyes
CDs and T-shirts, promos and God knows, You know I couldn't last, Someone please take me home

The teenagers, Who love you, They will wake up, yawn and kill you
The teenagers, Who love you, They will wake up, yawn and kill you

So don't let the blue, The blue eyes fool you, They're just gelignite, Loaded and aiming right between your eyes
CDs and T-shirts, promos and God knows, You know I couldn't last, Someone please take me home
There's a cash register ringing and, It weighs so heavy on my back, Someone please take me home

The critics who, Can't break you, They somehow help to make you , The critics who, Can't break you, Unwittingly they make you

So don't let the good days, Of the gold discs, Creep up and mug you
With evil legal eagles, You know I couldn’t last, Accountants rampant, You know I couldn’t last
Every -ist and every -ism, Thrown my way to stay, And the northern leeches go on, Removing, removing, removing

Then in the end, Your royalties bring you luxuries, Your royalties bring you luxuries, Oh but
The squalor of the mind, The squalor of the mind, The squalor of the mind, The squalor of the mind

9/10

Apologies for the mistakes, I am drunk!

Great review

My thoughts, almost, exactly. Except I love Let Me Kiss You, but you are right about 'Sorry' and 'Dykes' being the worst songs on the album. The rest is just amazing!

This is really good. Hats off to you.

RE: excellent bro......I can only hope to feel the same way....

When I can listen to my disc and then i will give a review...thats right...the PIMP will give his review of this album...... My hats off to you though.....I told everyone as well i thought this album would wake people up and realize how wonderful mozzer was...Lets just hope thats what happens. As a consolation though,we the fans know this album will rule,even though the industry and some fans might turn a deaf ear to it.

Re: Great review

is ther such a thing a "worst" morrissey song???? no song his majesty sings is "worst" they're ALWAYS the best.

>
Great great review guy!! I agree with you on the 90% of what you say though I think "i´m not sorry" is a great song and "let me kiss you" is one of the best songs on the album. And yes, "the first of the gang to die" is amazing and shame that "crashing bores" is been slowed down, it was far better live.

Back
Top Bottom