Music Week: "Johnny Marr signs new worldwide album deal with BMG" (August 3, 2021)

Judging an album is shit before even hearing it.
paper bag GIF

a big long interview a few weeks back when there was some very interesting stuff in it.

Yep.

everytime i see marr hes playing a smiths song,never his own stuff,maybe he doesnt have much faith in his solo work.

it sure seems that way.

Maybe he’ll feel more confident about his new stuff.
And as Surface pointed out, there just might be some person at BMG that likes it also, though there may have been other reasons that helped in their decision to resign him.

“The fact that he has decided to expand and deepen his relationship with BMG shows how well our holistic, artist-centric approach works. We are delighted to be the releasing partner for this outstanding new body of work.” - BMG

Link below for full article:

Johnny Marr announces new deal with BMG

:)
Yip!
knowing that all his 'solo career' albums have sucked, its safe to say all future
albums will suck as well. the singing(n) the lyrics (n) the music(n) dont know
anyone insane enough to predict any improvement in any of these areas.
the best part of a Le:frogface: music video is when he prances around like
hes Tom Jones then he goes up to the mic and starts caterwauling in what
to the trained ear sounds like an unknown languageo_O

🇭🇷>:hammer:

Yes Johnny Marr is very similar to Lady Gaga except she can sing,

gaga no Day

Maybe Marr will surprise us all and make an album as beautiful as Berlin, you don’t really need a great voice, only an imagination as
brilliant as Reeds was.

Last edited:
Shouldn't that say re-signed?

The company has represented the former Smiths guitarist as a songwriter for a number of years, publishing his last three solo albums: 2013’s ‘The Messenger’, 2014’s ‘Playland’ and 2018’s ‘Call The Comet’.

Johnny Marr announces new album deal with BMG
FWD.
Yes, that's what I thought.
Johnny does deserve to be RE signed, so do Sparks who are still on BMG. Both artists create good music, put on good, nay, great gigs, and sell, sell , sell .
Both artists have lps that stay in the top 100 twice as long as M, at least (i think Im right about this, anyway) So, it's a shame if people start slating them just because M has been dropped. Its not Johnny and Sparks fault M has been dropped.

I haven't heard of any games Sparks and Johnny have played with BMG, in regards to trying to call their bluff or moaning about records not being released and of course, none of them gets as much bad press as M (I'm not saying M deserves the bad press, im just saying its there)- you have to include all this stuff when you think "Why was M dropped, yet Johnny and Sparks remain?"

You can't say "They dropped M, because they are being agest ", either. As Johnny is only a few years younger than M and Sparks are both way older.

You can't even say Morrissey is making higher quality, more daring music. As Call The Comet was objectively much better produced and had higher standards of musicianship (though not singing) than the last two Morrissey records and a Morrissey LP has never once pushed the envelope more than a sparks lp . It was funny reading on here, people trying to suggest that Dog On A Chain was cutting edge. Yes it was a different sound for M but only people whose musical knowledge begins and ends with Smiths/ Morrissey would dare suggest it was cutting edge. Dog was like some 80s/ 90s hybrid.
Again im being objective, I thought the LP was fab

For me personally, I'd much rather listen to a Morrissey record than a Johnny or Sparks record. The sad thing is, although I would much rather see M live than go to a Johnny or Sparks gigs, sadly both Johnny and Sparks tend to be more reliable in LA than M. M still does fantastic gigs but in LA its very patchy. Where as Sparks and Johnny nearly always deliver.

Shouldn't that say re-signed?

The company has represented the former Smiths guitarist as a songwriter for a number of years, publishing his last three solo albums: 2013’s ‘The Messenger’, 2014’s ‘Playland’ and 2018’s ‘Call The Comet’.

Johnny Marr announces new album deal with BMG
FWD.

totally right,johnboy always plays the game,hanging about with kylie minogue,his street cred is right down the shitter,when was the last time any of these singers actually came out with something interesting to say,marr,weller,smith,our lips are sealed.eton rifles,more like tesco trifles.
"street cred" How old are you? (serious question)
I mean, do you think M has street cred? He may have, In my mind he does but i dont really think he has more cred than Johnny and if he does, ultimately, so what?
it depends what street you are talking about. Aged edgelords are just as desperate as aged gameplayers
It's just another game being played.
Being a pop star version of Donald Trump is hardly being Avant guard. M does his " I have my own brain" but his stance is simply that of most The Sun, Daily Mail readers. He is hardly saying anything original.

The sad thing is he goes on about the Manchester gig bombing but he did nothing to help , beyond whinging on a home video. The queen, who he thinks is not relevant, at 93 or however old she was, travelled up the country to go to the bomb site. I was never a royalist but that visit she did there changed my stance. She did way more than M. Liam G and the queen will be remembered as the people who tried to raise the spirits of Manchester. NOT M.
Hopefully he will readdress that with his new lp

A piece of information worth repeating: Hating/disrespecting/belittling Johnny Marr doesn't bring you closer to Morrissey. Hating/disrespecting/belittling Johnny Marr doesn't make you more of a Morrissey fan.

And I doubt you make a record like Call the Comet if you wanna play the game and be safe. The other two, I don't know. They're guitar based indie rock. A genre everyone here is familiar with...

"street cred" How old are you? (serious question)
I mean, do you think M has street cred? He may have, In my mind he does but i dont really think he has more cred than Johnny and if he does, ultimately, so what?
it depends what street you are talking about. Aged edgelords are just as desperate as aged gameplayers
It's just another game being played.
Being a pop star version of Donald Trump is hardly being Avant guard. M does his " I have my own brain" but his stance is simply that of most The Sun, Daily Mail readers. He is hardly saying anything original.

The sad thing is he goes on about the Manchester gig bombing but he did nothing to help , beyond whinging on a home video. The queen, who he thinks is not relevant, at 93 or however old she was, travelled up the country to go to the bomb site. I was never a royalist but that visit she did there changed my stance. She did way more than M. Liam G and the queen will be remembered as the people who tried to raise the spirits of Manchester. NOT M.
Hopefully he will readdress that with his new lp
lizzie has to go to these things whether she likes it or not,its her duty for which she is paid a queens ransom.
as for credibilty m will headline the festival next year,dont see johnboy headlining any festivals because he isnt a big enough name.

lizzie has to go to these things whether she likes it or not,its her duty for which she is paid a queens ransom.
as for credibilty m will headline the festival next year,dont see johnboy headlining any festivals because he isnt a big enough name.

Now, now , you said " street cred" NOT crediblity in general . I'm not arguing or trolling or anything like that .

Im sayting , and I expect you will agree, there are different types of cred, no?

Now, call be a brown cow and stuff me down the deepest well, but I really don't think playing , what is, basically, a couple of steps up from a nostelgia gig , as having street cred. I don't think you think that either.

Its like a blooming sound track to a never made John Hughes film.

That said,. I actually am with you on this, I do think beyond the "here and now" our M is still where he always wanted to be, A living legend up there with Bowie .

He knows it , the slags who try and break him know it. Johnny and the Manchester snakes know it and back stabbing yankee sparks know it .

They all know it, thats why they try to break him.

Jealousy .

He has "M cred " his own cred its worth more than street cred and business cred and pop charts cred.

Why would a promoter ask someone with 3 albums (apart from the shit one from years ago) to their name to headline a festival. Not sure what your problem with Johnny is but you come across a a very bitter bastard.

Johnny is doing great, new record deal, playing to 50000 people supporting the Courteneers in his home town next month and then over 750K supporting the Killlers on their US tour. He has over 300k followers on Twitter, the same amount on Facebook and 200k on Instagram. Each of his last 3 albums has charted higher than the previous one and he's building his fanbase very nicely.

Last edited:
o_O

WTF? nobody has asked :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: to headline anything when he cant sell out
a miserable 500 seat library. :lbf:
the twat is probably paying the promoter to let him open for the Killers
and Cvunteers, so in a way Moz is still paying his way.:hammer:

johnboy is now a support act with groups that couldnt clean the smiths boots,as long as hes happy playing to a half empty arenas till the main act arrives.bitter ye not,why dont you stick to marr.com and stop infecting this site with your seating plans and info from google which you obviously did for your last post.

johnboy is now a support act with groups that couldnt clean the smiths boots,as long as hes happy playing to a half empty arenas till the main act arrives.bitter ye not,why dont you stick to marr.com and stop infecting this site with your seating plans and info from google which you obviously did for your last post.

An alternate view is that Marr is building his fan base by playing to massive crowds in a country where currently doesn't have a big following. As for The Courteneers support, it's his hometown and Old Trafford Cricket Ground will be rammed when Johnny's on, just like Jodrell Bank was when he supported New Order.

Pretty sure he will announce a solo tour once the album is released.

And no I didn't need to look at any seating plans, I subscribe to Music Week and there is a wealth of info in there.

PS, I will visit any site I want, thank you

A piece of information worth repeating: Hating/disrespecting/belittling Johnny Marr doesn't bring you closer to Morrissey. Hating/disrespecting/belittling Johnny Marr doesn't make you more of a Morrissey fan.

Agree. Would be strange to think otherwise.

And I doubt you make a record like Call the Comet if you wanna play the game and be safe.

I guess it depends on how one is defining the word ‘safe’, really.

Neither Morrissey or Marr is releasing work that can be mistaken
for the first Plastic Ono Yoko album
or even any of Scott Walkers last few albums.

Music backing aside. For me there is a quality in Morrissey’s voice and a vision delivered from his very being (that somehow translates onto record) that is so uniquely his, so much so, that any ‘pop’ song he creates still grates and goes against the grain of what can be considered safe, ordinary, and top 100 material for the masses to swallow.

Agree. Would be strange to think otherwise.

I guess it depends on how one is defining the word ‘safe’, really.

Neither Morrissey or Marr is releasing work that can be mistaken
for the first Plastic Ono Yoko album
or even any of Scott Walkers last few albums.

Music backing aside. For me there is a quality in Morrissey’s voice and a vision delivered from his very being (that somehow translates onto record) that is so uniquely his, so much so, that any ‘pop’ song he creates still grates and goes against the grain of what can be considered safe, ordinary, and top 100 material for the masses to swallow.

I agree on the quality of his voice and the way he delivers his lyrics is amongst the best in the music world.

Again, I don’t think we should confuse sales, audience size, and popularity with uniqueness and true artistry, it’s rare that
those things go hand in hand, especially these days.

Tags
bmg johnny mar
Back
Top Bottom