Most Impressive Smiths cover version - The Guardian

unless, I am missing something :confused: does not seem like a very long list :o
what about:

:guitar: I think that there are actually a number of great covers of this song :thumb:
one of the signs of a truly great one :blushing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Which we've done to death on here, several times...

The Smiths: who has performed the best cover versions of their songs? by Hannah Jane Parkinson - The Guardian Music Blog
Arcade Fire have covered The Smiths' London at their Earl's Court gig, but who has produced the most impressive cover version of a Smiths song?

For what it's worth, I like Supergrass' Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, Erin Merle's Reel Around The Fountain, Coheed & Cambria's A Rush And A Push..., Eddie Reader's Last Night I Dreamt..., Vision's Stop Me If You Think.....amongst others.

t.A.T.u. - How Soon Is Now?

(official vid). Love it

This is terribly subjective. To some, "best" would mean "closest to mimicing the original", while others would consider the best to be one that attempted to equal the original's greatness, but in the covering band's own style. I align with the later, and there are several great ones in this vein.

Sara Lov's "well I wonder" is absolutely wonderful in my opinion

Perhaps not the most loved, but one of the most notable, due to the instrumental version being used in Ferris Bueller's Day Off:

Some of my faves

The Pretenders- Everyday Is Like Sunday (not Smiths)
The Ocean Blue- There Is A Light (very similar to the original)

Chrissie Hynde just mentioned on Chris Evans show that she's doing a Morrissey cover on the show in a bit.

This is terribly subjective. To some, "best" would mean "closest to mimicing the original", while others would consider the best to be one that attempted to equal the original's greatness, but in the covering band's own style. I align with the later, and there are several great ones in this vein.

I totally agree with you, and my choice is this Deftones' cover of Please Please Please.

This was my first encounter with Morrissey's lyrics.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom