Morrisseys only good album has been Viva Hate

So why do people still show up to his concerts? Is it nostalgia and the closest they'll ever come to seeing The Smiths live? I don't get it. He's been coasting for over 30 years now and is living proof that all you really need is 5 good years to have a career for life.
We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful

Even people that have strong dislike for him have said his latest record is one of his best. You can't really argue that a record is incredible or not but the critics mostly seem to like it and it's gotten some rave reviews from people that are not part of the cult.

I hope "Dog" will grow on me.

Sorry, but Viva Hate barely makes my top 5 Morrissey albums. Vauxhall and Your Arsenal and far more consistent. The former containing 2 of Morrissey's best songs.

Sorry, but Viva Hate barely makes my top 5 Morrissey albums. Vauxhall and Your Arsenal and far more consistent. The former containing 2 of Morrissey's best songs.
It's all subjective but surely Suedehead and Everyday Is Like Sunday are his TOP two solo songs, the reception both those songs get when played live around the World is phenomenal especially 'Sunday'. I love all his music but those two are the best? The fact their on Viva Hate gives the album a special status.

I agree that Everyday Is Like Sunday is one of his best. But over the course of his career, he's had many great songs. Vauxhall & I and Your Arsenal are both strong albums all the way through. You are the Quarry has many great songs including Irish Blood English Heart, First of the Gang and Crashing Bores. And, I must say his latest, IANADOAC, is easily one of his most accessible. Voice is strong and the music is fantastic. Great record to listen to all the way through IMO

It's all subjective but surely Suedehead and Everyday Is Like Sunday are his TOP two solo songs, the reception both those songs get when played live around the World is phenomenal especially 'Sunday'. I love all his music but those two are the best? The fact their on Viva Hate gives the album a special status.
They're both great songs, but I'm so bored of them I could quite happily never hear them again. While Now My Heart Is Full and Speedway have much more depth and replay value for me. I never tire of either of them. The rest of Viva Hate limps on at a steady pace, but can't keep up with the elegant beauty of Vauxhall.

Little Man, What Now? is a wonderful little song.

So is The Lazy Sunbathers.

It's his only great album but others are pretty good.
The songs are so sharp and melodic, and brilliantly arranged.
Never understood why Vauxhall commonly considered his best.
Yes, some great songs on it but several bland so-so songs like Hated for Loving, Spring Heeled Jim and the silly one about the sunbathers.
Vauxhaul is such a lame album, I will never understand how it would ever be considered his best, it's mostly boring and says nothing.

you put a Morrissey album on one shelf and a smiths album on another shelf,im reaching for M every time.his voice has always been better in his solo career.

True... I would be listening to the Smiths all day long... if it wasn't that his solo albums are so much better.
This forum is weird.

It's all shite except Viva Hate. Listen to me I know what I'm talking about

Back
Top Bottom