Morrissey's Kit on YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Moz was right about this track. Very underwhelming.

Reposting my comments from the main page as the unearthing of Kit is a pretty significant day on Moz-solo:

Wow, fantastic to hear this after all these years! Many thanks to "Anonymous" (one of the good ones).
The opening guitars almost have a retro Italo-rock feel to them (partially due to the quality?). Pseudo-military drum beat is effective. Solid composition from Boz -- at 2:15 it sounds like it's segueing into Now My Heart is Full. The outro would've been great rendered by a full blown brass band. Somehow the song is a bit too "epic" for the subject matter at hand. It's very, very similar to Sunny, which had the perfect musical foil for the words. I realize it's a demo but I find the vocal melody one of Morrissey's less interesting. No surprises in terms of the phrasing or timing that he often comes up with, IMHO. If I were to hazard a guess out of thin air I'd say Morrissey realized he had basically done the song before (Sunny) and done it more cohesively. Why the music wasn't repurposed later is a real mystery, though!

Why the music wasn't repurposed later is a real mystery, though!

Having heard this now, I think some of the feel of the martial drumbeat informs Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed, but that may strictly be coincidental with ten years between recordings. But, since Boz was present for both, I would not rule it out entirely.

Honestly, I think if it would have been tinkered with a little bit, it could've been a very fantastic recording and song. Perhaps it wouldn't have QUITE fit on "Maladjusted," but personally, I think that if this was a new song now and he would come out with a polished studio version of it (just a touch faster, lyrics in the chorus tightened up, synths less cheesy or at the very least more interesting) it would be a favorite.

Great job "Cant Think Of Username!" You were the first to post it - great work on the vid.

I was going to mention Mama! Would Alain have helped define the drums for Mama on his demo, I wonder? As "musical director" I could see Boz bringing the feel of Kit's drumming back for Mama (and having Matt go further with it). The music for Kit is a bit schizo, in a good way. It actually feels like an Alain track in ways (or even a Whyte/Boorer co-write), particularly how it morphs into something more epic in the latter stages (cf The Edges...)

If I ever happened to meet Boz or Alain, the questions I'd throw at them would have them reaching for their thinking caps pretty quickly...

Having heard this now, I think some of the feel of the martial drumbeat informs Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed, but that may strictly be coincidental with ten years between recordings. But, since Boz was present for both, I would not rule it out entirely.

Last edited:
The middle part (break) of „Kit” was clearly used again in “I have forgiven Jesus”
Would you please compare the vocal lines & sound of his master's voice:

Kit @ 2:35
I beseech you I implore you I preach, pray, beg and call upon you make your mind up soon make your mind up soon
I have forgiven Jesus @ the end
And why did you stick me in
Self-deprecating bones and skin
Jesus - do you hate me?
Altough I always wanted to hear “Kit” I do believe, the Boz Boorer penned “I know who I love” would make a lot more people happier because it is a finished master, not half of a Demo with a Morrissey vocal, that (if it would have been in his hands) would have never seen the light of day. Nevertheless: Thanks a lot and keep ‘em comin , Mr. A!

Last edited:
Any chance to hear the complete version?
A faded out cassette copy of a cassette copy........ does not live up to the expectations to this lost treasure. The song has potential but it is really hard to deal with this version after years of longing to hear more Maladjusted material.
It even doesn't sound like the Maladjuted material at all. It is more in the vein of the early Southpaw stuff.
To mee ist sounds like an unproduced Boz Demo with Moz trying to find a vocal line. Similiar to "Honey, you know where to find me".
Spencer seems not to be on it, nor is Alain oder Johnny, who of course are all dearly missed.

Some more infos from the well informed ones would be massively appreciated.

Last edited:
It's funny you mention Southpaw, because aside from the subject matter -- which is more Southpaw than Maladjusted -- Morrissey's vocals have the same feel as that album (which was partially recorded when he had a cold). I'm sure we're losing something in the ultra-compressed audio but nonetheless the vocal melody does not recall Maladjusted, where he often went for something more tuneful/bouncy.

Any chance to hear the complete version?
A faded out cassette copy of a cassette copy........ does not live up to the expectations to this lost treasure. The song has potential but it is really hard to deal with this version after years of longing to hear more Maladjusted material.
It even doesn't sound like the Maladjuted material at all. It is more in the vein of the early Southpaw stuff.
To mee ist sounds like an unproduced Boz Demo with Moz trying to find a vocal line. Similiar to "Honey, you know where to find me".
Spencer seems not to be on it, nor is Alain oder Johnny, who of course are all dearly missed.

Some more infos from the well informed ones would be massively appreciated.

Never heard Boz's version. I gave this one a chance - it's an okay song, I guess, nothing more.

I accidently listened to the intro with Audrey Hepburn's voice in the background and it was quite nice. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom