Morrissey to play Coachella: 100% Confirmed

leedoggpimp

morrissey at coachella 2009?

april 17-19, it would be good idea to close out the US leg on that date right before the UK leg

Re: morrissey at coachella 2009?

maybe its all leading up to the smiths at coachella? hmmmm?
*cross fingers* please NO.

Coachella 2009??

There is a lot of speculation that he will be at Coachella since there are not any LA shows. I have never been to Coachella but have the impression that it a real mob scene and not a good place to see people.

What are your thought on Coachella as a good place to see him?

Last edited:
Re: Coachella 2009??

There is a lot of speculation that he will be at Coachella since there are not any LA shows. I have never been to Coachella but have the impression that it a real mob scene and not a good place to see people.

What are your thought on Coachella as a good place to see him?

Coachella has some great line-ups, however, all the bands that play there have already come through town in much smaller, intimate venues. I dislike outdoor events, so I'd rather go see the bands play a full set in pleasant air conditioned places.

The last time I went to Coachella (2001, I think), I got sunburnt (and seeing Iggy Pop in daylight is just wrong) even though I wore factor 50 and a hat. Water from outside was not allowed in, and it's a desert. Instead they extorted unreasonable amounts for bottled water. They might've changed policies since then, but I can't forget what a shitty time I had there stuck out there in the desert.

I didn't have to pay for admission because of old work contacts in the music industry, but it was such a horrible experience that I vowed never to go again even if The Smiths reformed were headlining. Of course, I don't have to worry about a Smiths reunion, but I might sweat over missing Morrissey's second time at Coachella. I'd probably have to work that night anyway. Whatever happens, I won't be sorry to miss the shitty traffic nor all of that filthy hippy crap associated with outdoor fests.

Seeing Morrissey at the very first Coachella fest was alright. It's kind of a blur (130+ Moz gig vet here). It wasn't that memorable of a gig for that tour (1999-2000). I watched that Coachella DVD, and it seemed to bear very little relation to how I experienced that show. My major regret from that show was that both my friend and I had been pickpocketed during Morrissey's set. I lost several hundred in cash because some people had paid me cash at the gate, and I didn't expect to carry around that much cash. It was worse for my friend because he lost his out-of-state ID plus his entire wallet, and he had to get on a plane to go home the next day. No one turned in either of our wallets, and I kept checking for weeks after that fest.

I'd hold out to see Moz play an intimate venue far away from Hell A or any major metropolitan center. The best shows are in the little provincial towns that you jog round. Killarney comes to mind and stands out as one of the best shows in 2006. Moz danced an Oirish jig prior to Trubble (lervs me)!! Alas, he has never repeated that feat for any extended amount of time since then.

Mel-
Thanks for the detailed response. I had been debating flying to one of his shows on the east coast and your tales of woe convinced me that that is the right thing to do.

C
t. I lost several hundred in cash because some people had paid me cash at the gate, and I didn't expect to carry around that much cash. It was worse for my friend because he lost his out-of-state ID plus his entire wallet, and he had to get on a plane to go home the next day. No one turned in either of our wallets, and I kept checking for weeks after that fest..
i have lost quite a hugemoney at a festival too and and a second time when saw moz in hamburg .Im used to that...and i wont visiting a festival again Im sure..not my thing as well...

@ sistashelia – Sorry to hear about that. What happened at the Moz gig in Hamburg? Were you pickpocketed? Rotten thing to happen at a concert.

Regarding Coachella, I can only say that everyone I know who's been to it has really enjoyed it.
A friend of mine who saw that Moz and The Killers are playing there would love to go there again next year. She had a great time last year with almost all the acts big and small.

Mel-
Thanks for the detailed response. I had been debating flying to one of his shows on the east coast and your tales of woe convinced me that that is the right thing to do.

You're welcome!

If you like outdoor festivals in general, maybe you should go to Coachella. I just know I detest them.

I am also wary of advising people to fly to see Moz shows since there is a high risk of cancellation. Have you seriously looked at next year's tour schedule? It is grueling for Mozzer's delicate health. And then Moz falls ill. It's not rocket science. Look at his track record with similarly paced tour schedules. I guess it's a good idea to catch the earliest scheduled shows before he gets too run-down.

You should book flights and put in for time off only if you'd be okay with the possibility of not seeing Moz during your travels. For example, I like to travel and visit friends and/or unusual places. If Moz cancels, I still have a good time regardless. And I have no one to blame except for myself for my perfectly good time.

If anything, sometimes following Moz on tour detracts from being able to take in all a place has to offer because of the tight schedule and having to hustle on down to the venue (and queue if needed). But then that also gives me an excuse to re-visit places I've enjoyed such as Chester, England.

You

I am also wary of advising people to fly to see Moz shows since there is a high risk of cancellation. Have you seriously looked at next year's tour schedule? It is grueling for Mozzer's delicate health. And then Moz falls ill. It's not rocket science. Look at his track record with similarly paced tour schedules. I gues.
thts what i was thinking too when i saw the plan:tears:

I would echo a lot of what Mel said about Coachella. We went a few years ago and I don't think my GF would go back again, even for Moz. It's not an ideal place to see a show. Sure, it's cool to see a lot of great bands in one place. But no one gets to do a full show (although the headliners probably get the closest) and unless you stake out a stage early, you're not going to be able to see or hear as well as you would as compared to other venues where Moz will play. Being from the Midwest, the heat was brutal (and we were prepared for it) and the water situation was ridiculous (can't bring it in and overcharged for it inside). The only upside is that since they do the show on the polo fields, the grass is fairly soft and you have a great view of the mountains. If you're up for a long day in the hot sun and want to see Moz with a huge crowd, check it out. But we've been there, done that.

You should book flights and put in for time off only if you'd be okay with the possibility of not seeing Moz during your travels. For example, I like to travel and visit friends and/or unusual places. If Moz cancels, I still have a good time regardless. And I have no one to blame except for myself for my perfectly good time.

Yeah, Mel, I thought of that. I am going to go to make a two-week trip to the east coast -DC and NYC- and buy tickets for multiple shows in hopes of getting to see at least one. If he doesn't have any cancellations, I'ss let to see a couple of shows!

april 17-19, it would be good idea to close out the US leg on that date right before the UK leg

late april is the only mini-break from March-June... I wouldn't bank on any additional shows being added. Plus the crew needs to get all the gear to the UK.

More likely is another leg sometime in the late summer/fall that incorporates AUS/NZ/JPN and then the west coast of the USA - hopefully after a good month off so our man can rest!

Just guessing here, of course, but I do think its highly unlikely he will skip California entirely. it just may be later in the year.

Yeah guys, the farthest Western date announced so far is in New Mexico, so it's probably safe to say that there will be a second leg of the US tour that will be just West Coast gigs, maybe after Europe in the summer... With that being said, I knew someone that worked at the first couple of Coachella's, and they told me that Goldenvoice has some kind of monopoly-type contract over the artists that play there, where they can't do any Los Angeles based gigs for a certain number of months before, or after Coachella or something? Maybe someone that knows more about Goldenvoice and Coachella could elaborate, but I remember hearing something like that.

But it is so hard to wait when he is so near....

I hear ya!

Yeah guys, the farthest Western date announced so far is in New Mexico, so it's probably safe to say that there will be a second leg of the US tour that will be just West Coast gigs, maybe after Europe in the summer... With that being said, I knew someone that worked at the first couple of Coachella's, and they told me that Goldenvoice has some kind of monopoly-type contract over the artists that play there, where they can't do any Los Angeles based gigs for a certain number of months before, or after Coachella or something? Maybe someone that knows more about Goldenvoice and Coachella could elaborate, but I remember hearing something like that.

Yeah, people are speculating that he'll do a more thorough westcoast jaunt later on. Well, if it hasn't been announced by now, I don't think he'll do westcoast dates early on. Too bad because I think he will fall ill later on in the tour.

As for Coachella, I heard (not that reliable because at least one of the people involved in the conversation was drunk) that Coachella has a clause in their contracts prohibiting the musicians from playing gigs within 2 weeks of Coachella that also fall within a radius that includes the whole of SoCal plus Las Vegas. That must've been added or simply not true because the inaugural Coachella fest in '99 happened very soon (one or two days) following (the cancelled) Moz Las Vegas show. And earlier in that week, Moz had sung in Ventura.

Coachella has some great line-ups, however, all the bands that play there have already come through town in much smaller, intimate venues. I dislike outdoor events, so I'd rather go see the bands play a full set in pleasant air conditioned places.

The last time I went to Coachella (2001, I think), I got sunburnt (and seeing Iggy Pop in daylight is just wrong) even though I wore factor 50 and a hat. Water from outside was not allowed in, and it's a desert. Instead they extorted unreasonable amounts for bottled water. They might've changed policies since then, but I can't forget what a shitty time I had there stuck out there in the desert.

I didn't have to pay for admission because of old work contacts in the music industry, but it was such a horrible experience that I vowed never to go again even if The Smiths reformed were headlining. Of course, I don't have to worry about a Smiths reunion, but I might sweat over missing Morrissey's second time at Coachella. I'd probably have to work that night anyway. Whatever happens, I won't be sorry to miss the shitty traffic nor all of that filthy hippy crap associated with outdoor fests.

Seeing Morrissey at the very first Coachella fest was alright. It's kind of a blur (130+ Moz gig vet here). It wasn't that memorable of a gig for that tour (1999-2000). I watched that Coachella DVD, and it seemed to bear very little relation to how I experienced that show. My major regret from that show was that both my friend and I had been pickpocketed during Morrissey's set. I lost several hundred in cash because some people had paid me cash at the gate, and I didn't expect to carry around that much cash. It was worse for my friend because he lost his out-of-state ID plus his entire wallet, and he had to get on a plane to go home the next day. No one turned in either of our wallets, and I kept checking for weeks after that fest.

I'd hold out to see Moz play an intimate venue far away from Hell A or any major metropolitan center. The best shows are in the little provincial towns that you jog round. Killarney comes to mind and stands out as one of the best shows in 2006. Moz danced an Oirish jig prior to Trubble (lervs me)!! Alas, he has never repeated that feat for any extended amount of time since then.

Just do what I do: put your id and cash in your FRONT pocket and take NOTHING else!:guitar:

ok, after reviewing Moz' current US dates, they cut off April 15 in NM. He has 13days off before he hits the Ireland/UK. Perfect timing for him to pop over LA for a rest and head out to Coachella on the 17/18 or 19 for a gig there. I bet $$$ he's playing Coachella. Too short a time to do US west coast dates but, enough time for a rest and gig in them almost two weeks...Im just worried the Courteeners wont be opening for him when he does hit L.A.....:(

California dates?

Do you think he will perform at Coachella? I hope he doesn't, that would be the worst place ever to see him perform. I'm still hoping for some low-key dates, perhaps the new Palladium? I wish I knew already :confused:

Back
Top Bottom