Morrissey to appear on the "Late Show with David Letterman" January 8th 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
And, anyway, Morrissey is already a living legend in his own right. He doesn't need to prove anything to anybody!! So bring on Maladjusted!!! In fact, I want him to sing anything that makes his heart happy - whatever. I'll be in front of the screen singing along while Tom up there is yawning and nodding off...

"I don't care what he sings, I'm just happy to see him" = typical, blind, sheep-like statement. Morrissey could get on and read Tuesday's horoscopes and you'd likely still be glued to the screen. I'm not singling you out, sadly many fans are of the same mentality. I'm just making a point.

Out of his current set choices, I think Maladjusted would engage the most amount of non-fans (my second choice is Everyday Is Like Sunday). Maladjusted is different from the usual stuff you'd hear and it's not a song he's played to death on various TV appearances over the years. Morrissey isn't going to attract anyone who'd happily download pop trash anyway, so his best hope is to grab the few people out there that still appreciate well crafted music and who have somehow managed to not hear of Morrissey (they exist).

I won't apologize for wanting quality control instilled in my favorite artist. It's frustrating to see him make all the wrong decisions from downright awful choices in what singles to release, to disappointing set lists and his apparent disinterest in embracing the way the modern music world works. And living legend?? Come one, that's a bit of a stretch and I'm a die-hard fan. He's committed too much career suicide over the years to qualify for that status. Cult legend, yes... living legend, no. Obviously, that's subjective.

But if he's willing to appear on these shows, it proves that he does indeed have something to prove whether he admits it or not. I just wish he'd do it the right way and not carry on as if his career started in 2004.

Re: Article: Morrissey to appear on the "Late Show with David Letterman" January 8th

"I don't care what he sings, I'm just happy to see him" = typical, blind, sheep-like statement. Morrissey could get on and read Tuesday's horoscopes and you'd likely still be glued to the screen. I'm not singling you out, sadly many fans are of the same mentality. I'm just making a point.

Out of his current set choices, I think Maladjusted would engage the most amount of non-fans (my second choice is Everyday Is Like Sunday). Maladjusted is different from the usual stuff you'd hear and it's not a song he's played to death on various TV appearances over the years. Morrissey isn't going to attract anyone who'd happily download pop trash anyway, so his best hope is to grab the few people out there that still appreciate well crafted music and who have somehow managed to not hear of Morrissey (they exist).

I won't apologize for wanting quality control instilled in my favorite artist. It's frustrating to see him make all the wrong decisions from downright awful choices in what singles to release, to disappointing set lists and his apparent disinterest in embracing the way the modern music world works. And living legend?? Come one, that's a bit of a stretch and I'm a die-hard fan. He's committed too much career suicide over the years to qualify for that status. Cult legend, yes... living legend, no. Obviously, that's subjective.

But if he's willing to appear on these shows, it proves that he does indeed have something to prove whether he admits it or not. I just wish he'd do it the right way and not carry on as if his career started in 2004.

Whereas I respectfully disagree with you on the song choice (for me, Maladjusted doesn't have the catchy, cross-over appeal that would appeal to such a mainstream audience,) I do concede to your point about embracing the way the modern music world works. It disappoints and frustrates me in equal measure that Morrissey condemns all music of electronic origin, for example, when I would love to hear him branch out and create music on a par with what Beth Orton achieved with The Chemical Brothers. I am reluctant to use the word "stagnant" in this assessment, but I do feel by only exclusively working with the same writing team year in, year out it does and has stifled his creativity. Lyrically and vocally, I still believe he gives everything to his music. The lyrics on the last couple of albums are deeply personal. I just dearly wish he would collaborate with different songwriters and therefore grow. I'm not talking working with Skrillex or anything, just take a few risks. Not all electronic music is vile.

Re: Article: Morrissey to appear on the "Late Show with David Letterman" January 8th

Tom......What do you think he should play ?

Hey what about 'Get off the stage' I,d love to see him sing that one on the telly, awesome.

WW - That's not at all what I was referring to, the music he makes isn't going to change (and I'd cringe to hear Morrissey embrace electronic music). His reluctance to embrace how the modern music world works refers to the business of music. He says he's had no offers from record companies, but I doubt that's true. I think the truth is probably more like he hasn't gotten an offer that he finds acceptable (big difference). He wants a contract from 1983 in 2013 and that's not going to happen. He wants a big paycheck and an army of people to promote his albums all while ignoring concepts like independent releases or online distribution. He's too old school for his own good.

Last edited:

Tom......What do you think he should play ?

What about that good old cocker-nee sing-song 'Any old iron ?'

Woot Ladderman! (Leave KY at home this time plz kthx. :p)

I agree with the "Leave KY at home this time, Plz" a tiresome act. I am looking forward to seeing Morrissey tho "-)

WW - That's not at all what I was referring to, the music he makes isn't going to change (and I'd cringe to hear Morrissey embrace electronic music).

That's a shame. Because every time I hear "Alive Alone" I can't help thinking how well the song would suit Morrissey's voice and how much more amazing it would be having him singing it than Beth Orton. Sigh.

His reluctance to embrace how the modern music world works refers to the business of music. He says he's had no offers from record companies, but I doubt that's true. I think the truth is probably more like he hasn't gotten an offer that he finds acceptable (big difference). He wants a contract from 1983 in 2013 and that's not going to happen. He wants a big paycheck and an army of people to promote his albums all while ignoring concepts like independent releases or online distribution. He's too old school for his own good.

This begs the question, why doesn't he just set up his own label? That would make more sense. But what would he call it? Answers on a postcard. How about, "Aunt Nell Records". As in Polari, meaning listen, hear.

You really hit close to home with him by calling him by his first name. No one knows that it's Steven. How did you get this information? His men will be after you now. How dare you humiliate him so.

My ouija board spelled it ! ' It spelled ste e v e n, now hear my voice, hear my voice, oh hear my voice, the career is ending, the songs have dried up no I cannot push a pen now !!!!! I don't have annie friends left to say hello to . . . . . '

I agree with Tom. Morrissey of today is definitely behind the times--in many aspects. It will be very predictable and disappointing if he churns out one of the same old songs: Killed Me, Paris, Looker, etc.

Clearly he does not really care about the past, for his focus on the some of the garbage in his recent setlists is laughable.

Why go on Letterman if he has nothing to prove? He must--but if he chooses one of the shoddy songs, he will only prove one thing: that his time has passed him by.

And as for a sign for the asinine Blue Rose BS, people need to get a life.

So, what song should he sing?

Of the new ones I like "Action"... but he has so many better songs. Lately he seems to have given up on the new songs anyway and is playing older ones ...and aside from fans, doubt many viewers would know that Speedway, for example, is years old. Should he go with a Smiths song? so I'm interested in folks ideas on which song he should choose if he's really trying to get interest from people who aren't already familiar with his music and buy I tickets to his shows.

f***in Art Hounds bro! i think he could f***in kill it.

tumblr_m6ntboLM9X1rw5a93o1_500.gif

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_130105_02

He's playing Action. Don't f***ing slag it or whatever you say. It's an excellent song. If it's true.

I agree ; it has exactly that frantic ,exciting, quality . I keep forgetting about this hidden gem. I wonder if it will make the set-lists for the next leg of the tour ?

So I have the house to myself and had it in my mind so busted into the chorus of Action. SO. COMPLICATED. I dare anyone to try to sing it acapela. Those notes are all over the place and he nails them every time. It's that kind of vocal accuracy that separates the boys from the men in the world of music. :cool: (Took me three tries to make it sound right. :p)

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_130105_02

He's playing Action. Don't f***ing slag it or whatever you say. It's an excellent song. If it's true.

I never understood why he chooses to announce the song beforehand. Totally ruins what little surprise is left.
Although, he was slated to sing "Action" on Colbert, but changed at the last minute to "Paris", yeah? So don't get too excited now...

So I have the house to myself and had it in my mind so busted into the chorus of Action. SO. COMPLICATED. I dare anyone to try to sing it acapela. Those notes are all over the place and he nails them every time. It's that kind of vocal accuracy that separates the boys from the men in the world of music. :cool: (Took me three tries to make it sound right. :p)

...it's really not that difficult.
For being someone who claims to focus so closely on a vocal melody, his tend to be quite simplistic, never straying too far from the predictable.

I never understood why he chooses to announce the song beforehand. Totally ruins what little surprise is left.
Although, he was slated to sing "Action" on Colbert, but changed at the last minute to "Paris", yeah? So don't get too excited now...

...it's really not that difficult.
For being someone who claims to focus so closely on a vocal melody, his tend to be quite simplistic, never straying too far from the predictable.

Yeah but you're a singer. The casual singer might find it a task to find all those notes.

Out of the new songs, "Action Is My Middle Name" is the best choice. I'm pleasantly relieved (maybe he read this thread)...

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom