Morrissey signed to Harvest (Capitol); to record in France with producer Joe Chiccarelli

UPDATE 10:50 AM PT:

Link posted by Uncleskinny:

Morrissey has signed a two-album deal with Capitol Music in Los Angeles, and is set to record a new album in France starting on February 1st - true-to-you.net
15 January 2014

Morrissey has signed a two-album deal with Capitol Music in Los Angeles. He is set to record a new album in France starting on February 1st. Producer is Joe Chiccarelli, and musicians are Boz Boorer (guitar), Jesse Tobias (guitar), Gustavo Manzur (piano), Solomon Walker (bass guitar) and Matt Walker (drums). This will be Morrissey's first album since Years Of Refusal, which was recorded in 2008. Morrissey has been signed by Steve Barnett at Capitol Music.

Posted by mozzalini999 (original post):

Twitter alive with reports of a new deal. Check this out:

MORRISSEY SIGNS WORLDWIDE RECORDING AGREEMENT WITH HARVEST RECORDS - PR Newswire
Globally-Acclaimed And Highly Influential Recording & Performing Artist To Record First New Album In Five Years For Release Later In 2014

Excerpt:

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Jan. 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Harvest Records has signed globally-renowned artist Morrissey to a worldwide recording agreement, it was announced today by the label's General Managers Piero Giramonti and Jacqueline Saturn. Morrissey's first album under the deal will be released in the second half of this year.

Morrissey stated that he is "thrilled" with the agreement, and will commence recording of his new album – the artist's first since 2009's Years Of Refusal – later this month in France with producer Joe Chiccarelli. Joining Morrissey in France will be his longtime recording and touring band, including Boz Boorer (guitar), Jesse Tobias (guitar), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums) and Gustavo Manzur (keyboards). Tour dates for 2014 will be announced soon.

According to Capitol Music Group Chairman and CEO Steve Barnett, "Morrissey is clearly one of music's most important and influential artists. He is the rare soul who has stayed consistently true to his artistic vision and ethical principles since he first exploded onto the scene in the 1980s. We are so happy that he has chosen Capitol Music Group as his home and that his forthcoming album on Harvest will bring new Morrissey music to the world."

CMG Executive Vice President Michelle Jubelirer added, "Morrissey is a truly singular artist whose music and live performances first captured a worldwide audience thirty years ago and never let go. He is uncompromising in his integrity, extremely devoted to his fans and an artist with a unique and needed voice in our culture. It's so great that Morrissey is with CMG, and, more important, that he is about to record his first new album in five years."

Link and translation via Google Translate posted by Intl_Playboy / Twitter:

Morrissey, il prossimo album uscirà per la nuova Harvest - Rockol

Google Translate to English, excerpt:

January 15, 2014
Ended the relationship with Decca, Morrissey remains linked to the major label Universal Music under a new record deal signed with the Harvest (Capitol group). This was announced by the general manager of the label, Piero Giramonti and Jacqueline Saturn, anticipating that the artist Manchester will begin recording a new album this month in France along with the musicians who work with him for some time and the producer Joe Chiccarelli.

"Morrissey is one of the most important and influential artists in the music scene," said the number one Capitol Music Group Steve Barnett. "It 's also one of the few to have remained substantially true to his artistic vision and his ethical principles since he exploded onto the scene in the '80s." For its part, "Moz" had words of appreciation for the Harvest, the historic brand created in the 70s by which they recorded for EMI Pink Floyd and Deep Purple and that Universal has recently relaunched and mean to make it a sort of indie arm inside the majors.

Last edited by a moderator:
No - all art is subjective. Consensus counts for nothing - it doesn't make anyone's subjective response any more "right" or "wrong".

Ha ha, right. The "majority of us" being people like you who find a negative angle to Morrissey's every breath, who frequently criticise everything before they've actually seen, read or heard the results...? Yeah, of course - you're the hard-done-by truth-tellers. JB, that's the most hilarious sentence you've ever posted on here!

Your formatting is quite good for someone who types with a head wand.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't find living in a class dominated society amusing; a society where the ruling class always has hold of the governing power of society, as political power of the few accumulates along with the accumulation of wealth produced by the many.

:lbf::lbf::lbf:

You f***ing cock.

I'm looking for the interview but can't find it. I just remember him saying something along the lines of "those songs [referring to Action, People, etc] are already old now and will remain only on YouTube and the internet - not recorded in studio" or something like that.

I think the interview you have in mind is this one with Billboard from 2012. The exact quote:

I've held fast, but I now accept that the newer songs - which actually aren't that new anymore - will only ever exist in the YouTube domain. Do I see myself receiving a grown-up recording offer from a label of stature and power? No. I have a better chance of being hit by lightning.

However, in a later interview given shortly after the recent cancellation of his South American tour, he seemed to have changed his mind:

Well I did a radio session years ago, and the radio session is being released as b-sides but not as studio recordings, of those songs and the radio session doesn't belong to me so whatever happens to it, it's not really anything to do with me. But the songs will be recorded in a studio, one day in the future, whenever the future is whatever the future is.

The future is now, I suppose. I can't help but wince at the prospect of his recent material making it onto the album at the expense of all-new, potentially better material. While not totally unlistenable, these "new" songs are rather dull, unimaginative and lacking in scope or variation of any kind. To my ears, at least.

I am very excited by news of a new album and I will remain optimistic until I've actually heard it, but I think the best creative decision would be to fill the album with entirely new, unheard material instead of dragging these already stale songs into the mix.

Last edited:
I think the interview you have in mind is this one with Billboard from 2012. The exact quote:

However, in a later interview given shortly after the recent cancellation of his South American tour, he seemed to have changed his mind:

The future is now, I suppose. I can't help but wince at the prospect of his recent material making it onto the album at the expense of all-new, potentially better material. While not totally unlistenable, these "new" songs are rather dull, unimaginative and lacking in scope or variation of any kind. To my ears, at least.

I am very excited by news of a new album and I will remain optimistic until I've actually heard it, but I think the best creative decision would be to fill the album with entirely new, unheard material instead of dragging these already stale songs into the mix.

The future is now!!!!

At last. Amazing news.

There is a lot of excitement surrounding this news.

For free, I will sit in the studio and shout at them all, for several weeks, if it turns out to be too slow or plodding.

Basically because I dont want the last 2 x Morrissey albums that I listen to - before I die - to be slow and plodding and overproduced.

We need raw Boorer, not smooth or polished. That man can play guitar so well. He is excellent.

The guys can do it but we need Vauxhall2 and we need bass and drums in the mix not hidden.

We have a great keyboard player but he needs a great keyboard not those 70s
pounding portable babies, the type that are wrapped up into a flight case and last seen with ELO because
they sound so dated. Whats hard about getting a decent piano. Moans over !

We need you all to get behind the band.
How can someone slag off songs when the demo tapes have been sent track and trace ?
Lets face it, we all want Morrissey and Boz to come out with the best album they have ever created
and then have ever recorded.......

Hazard
England

Ps. During the ROTT and SWORDS tours, those live shows sounded amazing. The compressors were awesome. Music that - to me - sounded much better than Bowie's recent releases and then some.

Totally. He needs to release an album soon, in order to capitalise on the Autobiography publicity and it needs to be better than the songs he's touted since YOR or he'll get a critical mauling. Even if his unheared material is no better, I'd rather hear a poor album made up of new material than a poor album half of which I've already heard.

Contrary to some comments, YOR and ROTT are not weak albums. I actually think ROTT is his strongest solo album, and YOR is not all that far behind. If he can recapture that sort of form, he may end up with the biggest commercial success of his career. Not that that's what counts, but it matters to Morrissey.

I hope the deal includes some good promo video money. The one thing he has left to do as far as his music career goes, IMO, is a genuinely classic music video.

"I've held fast, but I now accept that the newer songs - which actually aren't that new anymore - will only ever exist in the YouTube domain. Do I see myself receiving a grown-up recording offer from a label of stature and power? No. I have a better chance of being hit by lightning."

"Well I did a radio session years ago, and the radio session is being released as b-sides but not as studio recordings, of those songs and the radio session doesn't belong to me so whatever happens to it, it's not really anything to do with me. But the songs will be recorded in a studio, one day in the future, whenever the future is whatever the future is."

Ah, I see. Well, I certainly hope history doesn't repeat itself and they don't end up on the album proper like That's How People Grow Up and All You Need Is Me did, long after they'd already been released on Greatest Hits in 2008.

Ah, I see. Well, I certainly hope history doesn't repeat itself and they don't end up on the album proper like That's How People Grow Up and All You Need Is Me did, long after they'd already been released on Greatest Hits in 2008.

Difference is those are both good songs.

Difference is those are both good songs.

I really love Art-Hounds, Scandinavia and Action Is My Middle Name.

I've always been a bit "meh" towards People Are The Same Everywhere and The Kid's A Looker; moreso the former.

Ideally I'd like him to record all of those above mentioned songs in the studio, along with a studio version of To Give (The Reason I Live) and Moon Over Kentucky (and You Say You Don't Love Me too, I guess, since the version being released is just live, akin to Satellite Of Love) and just release them as one disc called "A Bunch Of Stuff That Was Never Recorded In The Studio While I Had No Label And Here They Are For You Now; Don't Worry, They Won't Be On The Next Album".

Aaaand the odds of that happening? One can dream.

I really love Art-Hounds, Scandinavia and Action Is My Middle Name.

I've always been a bit "meh" towards People Are The Same Everywhere and The Kid's A Looker; moreso the former.

Ideally I'd like him to record all of those above mentioned songs in the studio, along with a studio version of To Give (The Reason I Live) and Moon Over Kentucky (and You Say You Don't Love Me too, I guess, since the version being released is just live, akin to Satellite Of Love) and just release them as one disc called "A Bunch Of Stuff That Was Never Recorded In The Studio While I Had No Label And Here They Are For You Now; Don't Worry, They Won't Be On The Next Album".

Aaaand the odds of that happening? One can dream.

Agreed:thumb: I strongly suspect at least 4 of the 5 mentions tracks will at least be b-sides. And we all know how Moz feels about "People", he wouldn't have sung it at the Noble Peace Prize concert if he didn't truly believe it was a gem. Alas. I don't think it's bad, but it's an ok b-side not something to showcase. And I say this just because he is so much better than that.

I do remain very optimistic about this record. He must know it has to be the record.

"Does anyone have any other collaborators they would like to see on board ? Lets have a list going. No 1 POISON IVY (Benny-t-B)

Benny-the-Butcher"

I'd bet on that guy from A-HA:

Pal Waaktaar? sorry the mispelling, I'm not english.

It really won't. The album sales won't even be anything near 'Ringleader'. He blew his second chance already. He doesn't get a third one.
Though he does stand a better chance of a number one record now with the way the charts are...which is all that really matters to him in the end.

Err, it doesn't really work like that. Morrissey is an icon and the world remains obsessed with him, even though the humour, intelligence and charm have all but disappeared these days.
First new album in 5 years is big news. All he needs is one or two catchy songs which are released as singles, and the album will actually sell even if it isn't much good.
Look at 'You are the Quarry'- an album full of mediocre gormlessness. OK music, but his worst ever lyrics. Two catchy singles and a load of media hype was all it took.
It's going to outsell Refusal just on the basis of the hype and the 5 year gap, 2 reasonably good singles and it'll do as well as ROTT. 2 or 3 genuinely brilliant singles (hugely unlikely) and it'll be his best ever seller.
Whether it's number one in the charts just depends on what else is out that week. It'll sell 40,000-70,000 which would take it to number 1 once every three weeks or so.

"Does anyone have any other collaborators they would like to see on board ? Lets have a list going. No 1 POISON IVY (Benny-t-B)

Benny-the-Butcher"

I'd bet on that guy from A-HA:

Pal Waaktaar? sorry the mispelling, I'm not english.

you mean cheb chaled, he's an Frenchman from Algeria, as France has a lot of nothern Africa population

RAI music is really popular for those

so Morrissey could do a duet with Khaled [i'm not french so nor english]

' and they say he's mentall' ... Downtown Didi... [didi is a song from Khaled, check]

Last edited:
During his 2002 live dates when he didn't have a record deal, Moz premiered the following tracks live: Irish Blood English Heart, The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores, I Like You, First Of The Gang To Die and Mexico (and no others). 4 out of the 5 went on to appear on his next album You Are The Quarry in 2004 while Mexico was recorded and released as a B-Side to a single off the album. Doesn't mean history will repeat itself, but just a thought... :)

About the 'comeback factor', it'll be considerable, but not as big as YATQ. There was a bigger gap between Maladjusted and You Are The Quarry than there will be between YOR and the new album, plus Moz had never really been away (albums wise) before the YATQ comeback, whereas this time there is that precedent of the previous time.

Last edited:
Awesome news.

giphy.gif

Journey to the centre of a humasexual :- Morrissey/Poison Ivy

"Hey I'm on my way"

Benny-the-Butcher

you mean cheb chaled, he's an Frenchman from Algeria, as France has a lot of nothern Africa population

RAI music is really popular for those

so Morrissey could do a duet with Khaled [i'm not french so nor english]

' and they say he's mentall' ... Downtown Didi... [didi is a song from Khaled, check]

Thanks for clarifying. I thought you were definitely English, or had at least completed your Masters in English at Cambridge or Oxford. Your posts are written so well and make so much sense, that I don't ever ever just simply ignore them as soon as I see your tiresome avatar.

I wish he would just get rid of the current line-up and get himself a new band! I never thought the band was strong and tight enough apart from a few live performances..it was never "it"

Both were written by Alain and sound nothing like The Clash...

"Last Gang In Town" The Clash

"Everybody's looking for last gang in town
You better watch out for they're all comin' around

The sport of today is exciting
The in crowd are into infighting
When some punk sees some rock-olla
It's rock and roll all over
In every street and every station
Kids fight like different nations
And it's brawn against brain
And it's knife against chain
But it's all young blood
Flowing down the drain"

"Hector was the..."

"there's always someone, somewhere with a big nose, who knows, trips you up and laughs"

Shows how clueless you are about music. Not just the riffs but the lyrics.

Two things that I don't want to see: Vinyl only b-sides and the second album being yet another compilation.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom