Morrissey racist?

Nothing to be ashamed of - an absent grasp of sarcasm is an endearing trait. Almost as endearing as the capacity for being sarcastic. :)

cheers

Sarcasm is grasped in my two hands as tightly as, say, a football in the hands of an English goalkeeper.

Well, you're rather the shooter, but I see we have at least two Robert Greens so far in this thread. :)

cheers

Well, you're rather the shooter, but I see we have at least two Robert Greens so far in this thread. :)

cheers

bored isn't a Robert Green, he just doesn't understand the intricacies of soccer.

It's true that I prefer to pitch rather than catch, but I prefer to shoot from grassy knolls. :rolleyes:

Perfectly simple and straightforward.

Judaism is a religion.

Jewish is an ethnicity.

Israeli is a nationality.

Theoretically, any person could be any combination of the three. There are people who are not ethnically Jewish who belong to the Mosaic faith, of sorts - such as the Turkic Karaim minority in Lithuania, or more famously, the Turkic Kazar empire of the early middle ages. There are Israelis (the arab and traditional christian minorities) who are neither ethnically Jewish nor of the Jewish faith. And there are ethnic Jews who have converted to other religions and doesn't live in Israel.

cheers

Judaism is a religion.

Jewish is an ethnicity.

Theoretically, any person could be any combination of the three. There are people who are not ethnically Jewish who belong to the Mosaic faith, of sorts - such as the Turkic Karaim minority in Lithuania, or more famously, the Turkic Kazar empire of the early middle ages. There are Israelis (the arab and traditional christian minorities) who are neither ethnically Jewish nor of the Jewish faith. And there are ethnic Jews who have converted to other religions and doesn't live in Israel.

cheers

This is correct

(I don't know why I bothered to write that, bored I guess)

bored isn't a Robert Green, he just doesn't understand the intricacies of soccer.

It's true that I prefer to pitch rather than catch, but I prefer to shoot from grassy knolls. :rolleyes:

A slaughterer of correct sports terminology, a baseball lover and a terrorist to boot. And to think that not ten minutes ago I paid you a handsome compliment. :lbf:

cheers

Judaism is a religion.

Jewish is an ethnicity.

cheers

There you go again, ending threads with your damn book-learnin'.

A slaughterer of correct sports terminology, a baseball lover and a terrorist to boot.

And here I thought I was only killing time. :guitar:

There you go again, ending threads with your damn book-learnin'.

No, actually I was only joking. It's not straightforward at all - the Jews are, so I understand, actually part-angel, part NME editor and part subterranean auto mechanic. It's all very confusing.

And here I thought I was only killing time. :guitar:

Aren't we all. ;)

cheers

Doesn't Israel regard Jewishness as a race (or something that trumps race/ethnicity/culture)? That's why non-Jews living in Israel can never be given nationality and it is illegal for foreign workers to have children there. The children born in Israel to non-Jewish parents are not considered nationals of the state. Surely you can't deny someone nationality based on their religion alone.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm pretty sure that is the beginning and end of the whole thing (if it really happened). Echoes of "Jed Skullcap."

If it weren't for this:

He'd be in danger of being labelled an anti-semite as well as a racist (yes, I know, you can be anti-semitic and still support Israel, but why go into that now).

Morrissey may occasionally behave like a complete and utter clod, but I think he's above petty bigotry.

*sigh*

"Jed Skullcap" is quite a funny one.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're treading on surreally thin ice there, buddy. ;)

Am I ?!?

I think you're all being perfectly beastly to me. I try to be informative, and you pick on me. Then I try to be flippant, and that's wrong too. This social interaction thing is just so terribly complicated. My parents should have let me go to kindergarten, that's where it all started going wrong. It was just me and the cat really, day after day. A nice cat it was, but not, on the whole, a great teacher of social skills. Cats so seldom are.

Am I ?!?

I think you're all being perfectly beastly to me. I try to be informative, and you pick on me. Then I try to be flippant, and that's wrong too. This social interaction thing is just so terribly complicated. My parents should have let me go to kindergarten, that's where it all started going wrong. It was just me and the cat really, day after day. A nice cat it was, but not, on the whole, a great teacher of social skills. Cats so seldom are.

You could have done worse.

Because of this thread I can't stop thinking of Annie Hall "Jew it", not did you eat "jew eat".

Last edited:
Am I ?!?

Your post summarizing the complexities of Jewishness was very nice. Whenever you start a sentence with "The Jews are...", however, you are inviting a whole lot of tsuris.

"Jed Skullcap" is quite a funny one.

I think Morrissey has a bit of a semitic fixation - he wouldn't be the first.

He should tour dressed as a rabbi next time.

Um, embarrassing as it is to have to point this out after the words of sympathy, I was actually joking. Although I did have a cat. As for my preceding "The Jews are..." bit, surely that was fairly self-evidently non-serious?

cheers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom