Morrissey on "The Colbert Report" (Oct. 9, 2012) - reminder / reports

Morrissey is scheduled to appear on "The Colbert Report" today.

Note from an anonymous person - the previous article on true-to-you.net has been amended, "People Are The Same Everywhere" replaces "Action Is My Middle Name". "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is still listed.

UPDATE 10:10 PM PT:

james bond posted the video:

(YouTube video removed by Viacom)

Videos now on http://www.colbertnation.com/:
Morrissey interview:

[noparse]<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:419977" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe></div></div>[/noparse]

"People Are The Same Everywhere":

[noparse]<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:419978" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe></div></div>[/noparse]

"I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris":

[noparse]<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:419980" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe></div></div>[/noparse]

Downloads of audio / video available in this forum thread.

UPDATE Oct. 11, 8:00AM PT:

Related items:

Last edited:
Well, I thought it was a lovely, amusing appearance and Morrissey came across really well out of it. I liked his deadpan responses, his reluctance to pander. It was so much more worldwearily distanced and disdainful than your average celeb and an excellent riposte to the American brashness of the host who was trying very, very hard to be funny. Moz, on the other hand, didn't have to try at all. That long gaze into camera was priceless.

What was the context to him saying "Not everyone is a fat old slag"?

Colbert: It's my job, as a journalist, to find out why you won't get back together with Johnny Marr. You guys could cash in huge!

Morrissey: Yes, but not everybody is a fat old slag. Not everybody is.

Colbert: Well, I hate to tell you....please welcome, Johnny Marr. Johnny?

Moz looked pained for a couple of seconds and then turned towards the audience.

I rarely knock anything this man does...But why why why did he choose these songs?! Im starting to think the old Mozzer is either out of touch with his fans or he simply does not care what they want. If he wanted to do something current from the catalog he could have done "something is squeezing my skull" and "action is my middle name" which would have been much more exciting and engaging. These songs are fine for a full concert, but not really the best way to represent what he does to a TV audience who may have somehow never heard anything from him.
He cant blame the industry for not wanting a piece of his action anymore...Im starting to think he might be to blame. Im not knocking him, as he is my all time favorite...But I have to be honest

And then smiled, chuckled and admitted "It was quite funny"...

Colbert: It's my job, as a journalist, to find out why you won't get back together with Johnny Marr. You guys could cash in huge!

Morrissey: Yes, but not everybody is a fat old slag. Not everybody is.

Colbert: Well, I hate to tell you....please welcome, Johnny Marr. Johnny?

Moz looked pained for a couple of seconds and then turned towards the audience.

Yeah I've seen the interview, I just don't understand the fat slag response to Smiths reunion Q. Who is he suggesting is a fat slag?

I think it got off to a brilliant start. I almost fell off the chair laughing to this...

Morrissey: I mean do you have a royal family?

Colbert: Yes, It's called The Romneys.

Moz stares into the camera for a few seconds then gives us the greatest facial response...

8074167953_0a737af8b2.jpg

After that it got a little uncomfortable for both Moz and audience with the excessive "meat talk." I'm sure Morrissey was offended a bit. But hopefully he understood that's the way the cookie crumbles when you are a guest on Colbert's show. I think he played along admirably and took the Johnny Marr comment well--giving us a big smile.

The performance was great.

Well for one thing, I would hardly describe Morrissey as compassionate. In fact he's one of the most uncompassionate people I can think of.

Secondly, Morrissey could do with a little MORE crass and aggressive comments being directed at him. He's out of practice. He sat there and said NOTHING and not because he was polite...but because he was out of his element. The guy's out of shape. A wit once razor-sharp is now a rusty butterknife.

He's too used to slinging one-liners and diatribes from the safety of a stage, surrounded by bodyguards and bright lights and seas of faceless people who have paid 100 dollars to see him play the same set of songs he's been yelping out for a year.

One-on-ones against genuine intellects like Colbert's are clearly not his forte these days.

You're an idiot. Have you ever heard of the concept of straight man? That was the part Morrissey was playing to allow Colbert to be the aggressor, he was letting Colbert win. He wasn't supposed to be a razor sharp asshole, but he still managed to be himself. He did exactly what he was supposed to do.

If we are going to talk about his teeth ( well , I am now ...) , I have to say I think it's wonderful he didn't succumb to Hollywoodism and have a set of gnashing pearly-whites installed. It adds to his authenticity and , perhaps , acts a nice rebuke to all those exhibiting/espousing surgical rearrangement of the face.

God forbid one should look one's age ( in at least one regard ) ...

Well said. David Bowie for example simply hasn't been the same since he had his done. His crooked teeth were part of the enigma!

:lbf:

As a side point, was just watching the "Paris" performance on Colbert Nation. Is it just me, or at the very beginning right after Colbert introduces Morrissey, does it seems like Anthony the drummer accidentally triggers the Kristeen Young sample for "That's How People Grow Up"? He quickly realizes his mistake as Jesse and Gustavo turn to look at him, and then triggers the correct scooter sample for "Paris." Interesting. I always thought the keyboardist would've controlled the samples, but that makes much more sense. Looks as though Anthony's still getting the hang of things.

Also, Boz totally mucked up his clarinet part. Shame.

Strong way to start a rebuttal.

I'm the smart kind of idiot. Seriously, he doesn't think Morrissey is compassionate? Why? Because he doesn't play the songs he wants to hear at concerts? :straightface:

A little shocked that there are Jack in the Box ads showing before the videos on the colbert site.

:/

I'm assuming it was a Mexico away jersey as well under his suit jacket (see example here: http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&N=4294959187&Product_Id=1326077), but the only thing that confused me were two things: the number on the front is generally centered on the front, while Morrissey's version the number is to his right under the adidas logo. Also, the Mexican player who wore #22 from that jersey era is a rather marginal player named Alberto Medina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Medina . See #22 jersey here: http://www.sparta7.com/media/catalo...exico_22_a.medina_soccer_jersey_short_kit.jpg). So I wonder, is Morrissey a fan of him, or was he given this jersey by a fan of him?

Strange. Morrissey looked cool though. Par usual.

The jersey he was wearing IS a Mexico jersey, and it was given to him by a fan at the San Diego show on his birthday.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom