Morrissey on "The Colbert Report" (Oct. 9, 2012) - reminder / reports

Morrissey is scheduled to appear on "The Colbert Report" today.

Note from an anonymous person - the previous article on true-to-you.net has been amended, "People Are The Same Everywhere" replaces "Action Is My Middle Name". "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is still listed.

UPDATE 10:10 PM PT:

james bond posted the video:

(YouTube video removed by Viacom)

Videos now on http://www.colbertnation.com/:
Morrissey interview:

[noparse]<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:419977" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe></div></div>[/noparse]

"People Are The Same Everywhere":

[noparse]<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:419978" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe></div></div>[/noparse]

"I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris":

[noparse]<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:video:colbertnation.com:419980" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe></div></div>[/noparse]

Downloads of audio / video available in this forum thread.

UPDATE Oct. 11, 8:00AM PT:

Related items:

Last edited:
The YouTube video is blocked :(

Nice find Amy. I think he actually enjoyed this interview, but it was easy for him, he can fend off stupid questions like this in his sleep.

Well for one thing, I would hardly describe Morrissey as compassionate. In fact he's one of the most uncompassionate people I can think of.

Once again, no evidence, just a sweeping generalisation in a faux-authoritative tone. Bless.

Oh my, The "Queen" is truly dead.

In his early interviews, Mozzerz had elegance and piercing rejoinders; now he has the visage of cabbage flatulence and flaccid sullen loin-durrs.

I'm sure Colbert's team told him what he'd be asked; and he gave the most rote, imbecilic answers he's ever given anyone to these questions.

He really had a chance to shine, he could've played OutrageousMoz to Colbert's UberO'Reilly. It's a comedy show for gawd sake. He was genuinely shocked, and I'm saddened by that.

Bowie's son, Duncan Jones, attacks Moz on Twitter:

Duncan Jones @ManMadeMoon Just watched Morrissey on Colbert... Lordy me, has their ever been a more contrarian, old grump? I think not. Man needs a blow-job.

Duncan Jones @ManMadeMoon Mo may write a superb song... but he's been releasing the same one for 20 years now under different titles.

With lines like that he ought to set up permanent residence with all the other wankers here on So Low...

There's torrents of the episode up on places like piratebay and eztv ... wasn't a great appearance, Morrissey did seem a little perplexed and out of his depth on the show ... it's almost like he was ready for a serious interview but didn't realise the show is basically comedy and it was like he was caught off guard. His voices sounded fantastic in the song and really strong, it's a shame he performed such a boring one dimensional song really because his voice really was amazing here. Also miss the power you could tell Matt Walker had on the drums. New guy looks capable, and not as bad as Deano (god I hated his drumming), but I really loved the way Matt pounded the ever loving shit out of the skins and really added so much energy. Not to mention I loved the combination of Matt and Solomon in that rhythm section, they worked so well together, almost like they'd grown up together learning how to play off each other, weird how their last name is both "Walker" too.

He's supposed to be talking to Victoria Wood about TEA! Of all things but I'm sure he'll soon get sad tracked into the Royal/Falkland/Madonna/Olympic predictable bitterness.

I don't see how any of his comments on those matters constitute "bitterness"... please explain. Or get a thesaurus.

I think Morrissey was awesome.I was happy that it was an interview too.I think you have to give credit to Morrissey he does have a sense of humor about these things.It`s really great that he stands up for what he believes in.It`s refreshing in a world for no talent celebrities will do anything for a buck.

Not to mention I loved the combination of Matt and Solomon in that rhythm section, they worked so well together, almost like they'd grown up together learning how to play off each other, weird how their last name is both "Walker" too.

Sarcasm? They are brothers.

Reading some of these comments I now honestly believe if Morry-c came out and said he loved eating dog-cigars many people on here would be out chasing dogs-bum-holes.

I really enjoyed it, both the interview and the performances.
I personally saw Morrissey's long awkward pause after the "Romney" joke as an attempt to be deadpan, but he missed the mark and just looked a bit "deer in the headlights."
I've seen funnier interviews, but still, worth staying up for! :guitar:

depth Also miss the power you could tell Matt Walker had on the drums. New guy looks capable, and not as bad as Deano (god I hated his drumming), but I really loved the way Matt pounded the ever loving shit out of the skins and really added so much energy. .

I agree. I loved the way Matt played the end of "How Soon ..." on the last tour - flogging nine kinds of hell out of the kit.

What was the context to him saying "Not everyone is a fat old slag"?

I'm about 98.4% sure it was Mexico's away jersey (all black with gold trim, including the badge... which looks horrible).

i am 100% that is a mexican away jersey, at least it was a real adidas jersey, if he wanted to be authentic to mexicans, he would have worn a knock off jersey without the adidias. It would have been interesting to know which player or if it said 'morrissey' on the back.

it would have been super cool if johnny marr came out

After watching the the interview last night I left feeling disappointed. Colbert did the interview with the only intent of inciting Morrissey and not digging up any insights or allowing him to shed any of his cleverness.

It was as if I was watching Ghandi being interviewed by Ali G or some other moron. This could have been so much more but since the majority of the audience at home probably was not familiar with his work, he went to the lowest denominator and left those with a strong interest in Morrissey longing for more during this time in the national spotlight.

Actually, Colbert is obnoxious because that's what he supposed to be. His "character" on the show is to parody a right-wing wacko and he does it well. Morrissey went along with the absurdity quite well, like the gentleman that he is. How did this slip past that big brain of yours?

See, I knew this appearance would be lost on people like you.

Right, because if someone disagrees with you then that must mean they simply don't "get it." Spoken like a true Morrissey sycophant.

It couldn't possibly be true that for all of Colbert's ribbing and trolling and fast-talking, which as you say is what his show/schtick is based on, Morrissey didn't make ONE comment that was even remotely witty or off the cuff or engaging or lighthearted regarding the obviously intentional tongue-in-cheek tone Colbert was setting for the segment.

Obviously Colbert did not have a serious agenda with Morrissey; or I should say that if he did, he wasn't aiming at hammering it home during what amounted to a five minute comedy sketch. I doubt he gives a shit about Morrissey or Morrissey's absurd views one way or the other. Colbert played Devil's Advocate the whole time, trying to get Morrissey to say something at least slightly clever or funny...but all that happened was Morrissey was put on the spot and didn't deliver...at all. He just scrunched up his face and made those annoying growling noises as he defaulted to his usual stock comments about royalty and meat-eating.

Colbert was hilarious. Morrissey was a wet noodle. It was a great interview just for seeing Morrissey finally get pwned by someone in public.

I'd like to point out one fact: Colbert isn't an intellectual. He's a clever comic book nerd who got lucky and now makes a great living doing what he loves doing.

Morrissey, though is a legend. And this is NOT something he makes up in his own mind every night before he kneels down to pray.

He's also a dictator. But you know what? So is Fidel Castro. Still socking it to the USA.

You should direct your energy in a more positive way. You're negativity is pervasive, dear.

No, Colbert is not an intellectual; you're right. Most intellectuals are useless; Colbert is intelligent and there's a big difference between an intelligent person and an intellectual.

I really enjoyed it, both the interview and the performances.
I personally saw Morrissey's long awkward pause after the "Romney" joke as an attempt to be deadpan, but he missed the mark and just looked a bit "deer in the headlights."
I've seen funnier interviews, but still, worth staying up for! :guitar:

Agreed 100 percent...except I didn't stay up for it. :lbf:

After watching the the interview last night I left feeling disappointed. Colbert did the interview with the only intent of inciting Morrissey and not digging up any insights or allowing him to shed any of his cleverness.

It was as if I was watching Ghandi being interviewed by Ali G or some other moron. This could have been so much more but since the majority of the audience at home probably was not familiar with his work, he went to the lowest denominator and left those with a strong interest in Morrissey longing for more during this time in the national spotlight.

So, you were expecting an in-depth, hard-hitting interview to emerge from a five minute segment on a comedy program that revolves around satire? And the blame for your disappointment in how dull Morrissey was is with Colbert, as a journalist, and in the audience, for not knowing Morrissey's work? Jesus Christ.

'Not available from your location' FFS!!!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom