Morrissey on "Later... with Jools Holland" (London, Oct. 3, 2017) - reminder / reports

UPDATE Oct. 7:

Posted by an anonymous person:

Posted by docinwestchester:

UPDATE Oct. 6:

Posted by Peanut:

The full show is tomorrow (Sat. 7th) at 11pm on BBC Two, not today as written in OP.

Posted by Springhealedkev:

I was at the Jools Holland show and he did 3 songs. The other 2 are ... ' I wish you lonely ' and 'all the young people must fall in love ' ... got so close to him but yet so far... thought we might see them in the bar after , but no.

Note posted by Johnny Barleycorn:

This edition is the short version. The full show will be on Friday.

Link to jools.holland.official / Instagram posted by an anonymous person:

40889_morrissey_jools.jpg

Last edited:
the Sound of spent was much richer than on 6bbc. went smoothly. the jools setting though is Kind of awkward, isnt it?

Sort of. At the BBC show it seemed he was playing for an audience while being filmed but here it's like he's playing for a camera with a crowd gathered around him

I always get a feeling bands are trying to outdo each other.i thought that girl singing was excellent,good song,moz should get her as support.jessie ware,ah so that's her name.

Reckon sounds like Steely Dan. WTF type of name is Jools Holland? Is he a Euro or Brit? He looks like a character from Men in Black who has a human form, but is really an alien once he sheds his outer shell. Another reason for me to go out to the beach and kiss the sand and be thankful I live in Malibu. You foreign people are weird looking.

Reckon sounds like Steely Dan. WTF type of name is Jools Holland? Is he a Euro or Brit? He looks like a character from Men in Black who has a human form, but is really an alien once he sheds his outer shell. Another reason for me to go out to the beach and kiss the sand and be thankful I live in Malibu. You foreign people are weird looking.

You're funny. Jools Holland used to be in Squeeze - he played piano. Indeed on one of my favourite ever songs, the content of which I often think Morrissey drew upon for EDILS...

I always get a feeling bands are trying to outdo each other.i thought that girl singing was excellent,good song,moz should get her as support.jessie ware,ah so that's her name.

I liked Khalid best. I’m actually not joking.

You're funny. Jools Holland used to be in Squeeze - he played piano. Indeed on one of my favourite ever songs, the content of which I often think Morrissey drew upon for EDILS...

I do like Squeeze and that song. Jools was also a presenter of The Tube, of course, on which The Smiths appeared at least a couple of times. It is perhaps now forgotten that Jools introduced their very last TV appearance, if I remember correctly, with Paula Yates.

It's incredible how people who know so little about music post on music forums!

"Who is Jools Holland".....???? WTF

I liked some of the Squeeze music.
Up The Junction was a great single.
Good drummer they had too.
Must have an album of them somewhere stashed in a box.
:thumb:

i have to agree, the quality of the writing is no where near what it was. it used to be deep, where you had to think about what he was singing, and still not be exaclty sure what he was trying to convey. there was also usually a killer turn of a phrase, such as i dearly wish i was NOT here. one single, well place word in an otherwise ordinary line. that was his genius . the closest ive see to that in the past couple of years is when he said at the BBC we are up at the crack of noon. the new and recent songs are very obvious, blunt , and direct. no imagery. also repetitive, like he is running out of lyrical gas well before 3 min is up.

they sound like songs from people just starting to write their very first songs. we will always have the old songs, and they will hold up well for ever, but i fear the well may have run dry. compare his recent " political" stuff to margaret in the guillotine , and you'll know what i mean.

Have to agree, on the strength of the new songs I've heard the well has run dry indeed. Lyrically and musically well below average , pedestrian and mediocre . And how about the rest of the set ? same songs from the last few tours yet again...bonkers . Let's not even get into the UKIP comments , you could tell he wasn't joking when he said that . I bet BMG loved that comment . Just saw Nick Cave on his recent tour last week , if you like him or not doesn't matter , chalk and cheese from Morrissey , great set list featuring both new and old songs , relevant and real fire and passion coming from the stage and an audience totally ignited unlike last couple of Morrissey shows I've seen . Plus his last album Skeleton Tree shows what can still happen even after making records for that long if you are surrounded by genuinely creative inspiring artists unlike the yes men session musicians who are writing with Morrissey .

His vocals are smooth as hell on this one. I just wish there were some backing vocals like on the studio version.

I so so hope Matt Berninger from The National got to meet Morrissey backstage. He's very vocal in interviews about his admiration for Morrissey and he references Moz/The Smiths in I think three of his songs.

“all the young people”. Insta classic!! If you don’t like that then what do you like??

It absolutely is!
You are 100% correct here.
Gonna listen again now, almost forgot it, being immersed with and flabbergasted at some of the negative comments here at the site but I realized it was to be suspected. Usual anonymous suspects.

Tags
low in high school info
Back
Top Bottom