Morrissey on "Later... with Jools Holland" (London, Oct. 3, 2017) - reminder / reports

UPDATE Oct. 7:

Posted by an anonymous person:

Posted by docinwestchester:

UPDATE Oct. 6:

Posted by Peanut:

The full show is tomorrow (Sat. 7th) at 11pm on BBC Two, not today as written in OP.

Posted by Springhealedkev:

I was at the Jools Holland show and he did 3 songs. The other 2 are ... ' I wish you lonely ' and 'all the young people must fall in love ' ... got so close to him but yet so far... thought we might see them in the bar after , but no.

Note posted by Johnny Barleycorn:

This edition is the short version. The full show will be on Friday.

Link to jools.holland.official / Instagram posted by an anonymous person:

40889_morrissey_jools.jpg

Last edited:
Must admit, I was a little underwhelmed by 'I Wish You Lonely'. Might be a real grower but thought I would enjoy it more on first listen (like I did with Young People) judging by some of the comments round here. Won't be listening much to the other songs before the album's out. Will be nice to get used to them in their properly produced form, first.

Those vocal melodies do seem to be a thing of the past, sadly, as do those lovely turns of phrase he was once famous for.

He seems to be relying more and more of lists and repetition in his lyrics. Fun on a track like Something Is Squeezing My Skull, but it comes across as not having enough material when relied upon too often.

'and his list of dislikes is long. Morrissey on other singers: "They have two or three melodies and they repeat them ad nauseam over the course of 28 albums."

I think he does make an effort to some degree to try different things and purposefully move away from even the way he once wrote. I don't imagine him these days beating his brains to write something clever that reflects an older style of his just to please those that expect that of him and to appease those who don't want him to change.

The new Morrissey songs are not a patch on the majority of The National's new album, the only possible exceptions being Turtleneck and the title track Sleep Well Beast.

Don't get me wrong, The Smiths are the best band in the history of music, to this very day.
Morrissey 1988-97 remained peerless, as far as I am concerned.

But...
'Not now'.

You sum it up perfectly, that is how I see it. That means it is 20 years ago since Morrissey was relevant. Some of us hanged on for another 9 years but were always left disappointed cause there was something missing.

For me the 1997 gig in Solna, Sweden, was the end for me as a fan and it was a brilliant night with snow outside.

.I think he does make an effort to some degree to try different things and purposefully move away from even the way he once wrote. I don't imagine him these days beating his brains to write something clever that reflects an older style of his just to please those that expect that of him and to appease those who don't want him to change.

Change? He's still writing about the same old shit he was writing about decades ago.

~ Monarchy? Check
~ Stuff about animals? Check
~ Being single and/or lonely? Check

The only "change" is that he used to write well about this stuff. I'm gonna guess that that's a change he wasn't aiming for.

This is shaping up to be worse than World peace. The problem I think lies in the fact that the music has gone away from the sad sounding melencholy vibe that we have all loved and come to associate with great Moz songs (think the dark moody strings of Dear God please help me). Gone are those sounding songs which seem to really push the vocal melody and instead its almost as if the music is too consciously trying to be more experimental when it comes to the arrangements. It's like he is trying to hard to try something different rather than sticking to what has worked so well in the past. Sure artists can change but these new songs as well as most of world peace just doesn't hold a candle to the quality of his previous work.
"Keep on crankin' em out, Moz. Each one like the last one! You need to re-write Suedehead and Sunday, and don't deviate from the usual, because Anonymous people just won't stand for it! To hell with actually making what you feel like. Just give 'em that ol' nostalgia, and make it quick!"

The new Morrissey songs are not a patch on the majority of The National's new album, the only possible exceptions being Turtleneck and the title track Sleep Well Beast.

Don't get me wrong, The Smiths are the best band in the history of music, to this very day.
Morrissey 1988-97 remained peerless, as far as I am concerned.

But...
'Not now'.
I really want to like the National. I do. Good lyrics, but every song is just sepia tone. It's got no peaks or valleys, just a beginning, middle, and end. I wish they would write with some balls behind it.

I really want to like the National. I do. Good lyrics, but every song is just sepia tone. It's got no peaks or valleys, just a beginning, middle, and end. I wish they would write with some balls behind it.
That was the first time I saw those guys on later and my first impression was, why is he trying to eat the microphone and was he having an 'episode' during the chorus? I did really struggle to understand what he was singing though. Do they have any top songs you would recommend?

That was the first time I saw those guys on later and my first impression was, why is he trying to eat the microphone and was he having an 'episode' during the chorus? I did really struggle to understand what he was singing though. Do they have any top songs you would recommend?
I don't, actually, because they just aren't memorable. My biggest exposure to them came from a coworker playing them at work. It just never left any impression on me apart from slight melancholy. I looked up their lyrics online to see what they were singing about. I like them as poetry.

Somehow they’ve managed to make the utter shite that is STDIB seem good. These 2 other songs are just dire. Bots will keep lying to themselves, just like the yes-men that Silly Steve has surrounded himself with lie to him.

These songs are SHIT. Fact, not opinion. Nothing to do with taste. Anyone claiming otherwise is in denial.

Change? He's still writing about the same old shit he was writing about decades ago.

~ Monarchy? Check
~ Stuff about animals? Check
~ Being single and/or lonely? Check

The only "change" is that he used to write well about this stuff. I'm gonna guess that that's a change he wasn't aiming for.

I never brought up subject matter in my post .

reread my post, I said.....

I don't imagine him these days beating his brains to write something clever that reflects an older style of his just to please those that expect that of him and to appease those who don't want him to change.

that includes you too.

if you want to discuss this further please log in as a member. Thanks in advance.

That is how I feel about music released in the last 10 years or more. It was the singer/songwriters that killed music. They are all like a fat troubadoure in a cruise ship bar singing "house of the rising sun".

U

I agree entirely about Spent. In a parallel universe it might have been written by Louis IX.

It’s just the most patronising, “know your place little people” slice of awfulness I’ve heard in a while.

“Spent the day in bed
Very happy I did, yes
I spent the day in bed
As the workers stay enslaved
I spent the day in bed
I'm not my type, but
I love my bed
And I recommend that you

[Chorus]
Stop watching the news!
Because the news contrives to frighten you
To make you feel small and alone
To make you feel that your mind isn't your own

[Verse 2]
I spent the day in bed
It's a consolation
When all my dreams
Are perfectly legal
In sheets for which I paid
I am now laid
And I recommend to all of my friends that they

[Chorus]
Stop watching the news!
Because the news contrives to frighten you
To make you feel small and alone
To make you feel that your mind isn't your own

[Bridge]
Oh time, do as I wish
Time, do as I wish
Oh time, do as I wish
Time, do as I wish
Oh time, do as I wish
Time, do as I wish
Oh time, do as I wish
Do as I wish

[Verse 3]
I spent the day in bed
You can please yourself
But, I spent the day in bed
Pillows like pillars
Life ends in death
So, there's nothing wrong with
Being good to yourself
Be good to yourself for once!

[Outro]
And no bus, no boss, no rain, no train
No bus, no boss, no rain, no train
No emasculation, no castration
No highway, freeway, motorway
No bus, no boss, no rain, no train.”

I suppose we should be grateful at least that he didn’t keep the original working title if of “Do Nothing, Stay Stupid.”

It’s borderline obnoxious and more royal than the Royal family themselves. Perhaps he should be reminded that some of those “enslaved workers” he looks down his nose at are why when he finally gets up and greets the world with that days episode of Pointless the telly goes on.

The Voyager I is more in touch with the earth than Morrissey.

'and we can be 'heroes' just for one day'

I don't read/hear it that way. He's not 'looking down his nose' at anyone (the common man). I hear M singing it from the perspective of anyone who dislikes the reality of being enchained to wage labor, and by staying home they can imagine themselves 'heroes' as in 'good to themselves' and to realize that life is short(Life ends in death) and that they are individuals that are better than the shit they have to put up with and maybe.. yes, let's not obey and go into work, and from that the song/message may inspire some to find a better way to continue. To create a reality of ones own.

quite inspiring for a funky little ditty.

:tiphat::cool:

This is probably my favourite song of theirs.

beauty lies in the ear of the listener, and honestly, i personally prefer any experimentalism to dull, suffocating traditionalism. life is progression and sometimes you have to dare risk a step into unknown territory, also musically

I wrote the original post above that you quoted. I have to say, with maybe the exception of the first single I think that the other new songs sadly aren't even as good as the pre World Peace unreleased handful of songs, such as Action is my middle name, Kids a looker, etc..

That's how I felt. I wanted to like them, as they are the sort of band I should, but I didn't find them very interesting - though I certainly didn't actively dislike them. I am guessing they have better and more inspiring songs, perhaps.

I never brought up subject matter in my post .

reread my post, I said.....

I don't imagine him these days beating his brains to write something clever that reflects an older style of his just to please those that expect that of him and to appease those who don't want him to change.

that includes you too.

if you want to discuss this further please log in as a member. Thanks in advance.

You said something about him not wanting to "appease" people who don't want him to change. In reply, I explained that, in fact, the only thing about him that's changed is that he's shit at writing now.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want a pop singer you used to like to stop writing songs that aren't laughably awful, but it's his choice: he can continue to write shit lyrics if he wants. It's just as entertaining for the rest of us - just in a very different way.

This is probably my favourite song of theirs.

Sorry, to each their own, but that guys voice.. doh::sleeping:reminds me of a cross between Bono (not Sonny) and that guy Yuck, I mean York from radioshead or whatever they're called.

Last edited:
Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom