Morrissey on "Berlin Live" live stream (Oct. 11, 2017) - ARTE tv

40902_berlin_live.jpg

Er wurde schon als „Most Influential Artist Ever“ in der Pop-Geschichte bezeichnet, gründete The Smiths und machte danach als erfolgreicher Solokünstler weiter, dessen Alben es alle in die Top 10 der UK album charts schafften: es gibt nur wenige Künstler heute, die an Morrissey heranreichen.

Er polarisiert und kultiviert sein Außenseitertum und hat dennoch oder gerade deswegen weltweit eine leidenschaftliche Fan-Gemeinde.

Für den November hat Morrissey sein neues Album Low in High-School angekündigt, vorab wird er noch in den USA auftreten, Höhepunkt ist der bereits angekündigte Auftritt am 10. November in der Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.Vorher noch wird er bei Berlin Live einige Songs aus seinem neuen Album sowie einige seiner großen Hits spielen.

Besetzung und Stab
  • Land: Deutschland
  • Jahr: 2017
https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/078567-002-A/berlin-live-morrissey/
English:
https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/078567-002-A/berlin-live-morrissey/

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
That German is mainly just the usual drivel, but I don't think it's repeated in the English bit so translation:

He has already been labelled as 'most influential artist ever' in pop history, founded the Smiths, and after that carried on as a successful solo artist, whose albums have all made it into the top ten of the UK Album charts: there aren't many artists today who can touch Morrissey.

He polarises [opinion] and cultivates a feeling of being an outsider and has nevertheless, or rather because of that, a passionate fan base world-wide.

Morrissey has announced his new album Low in High School for November, before which he will appear in the US, the highlight of which being the already announced appearance at the Hollywood Bowl in LA. Before that he will play, in Berlin, some of his new songs as well as some of his big hits.

Last edited:
Whats that Klingon crap? I'm not reading that. I'll go watch Star Trek 3 'the search for smuck' to see if it helps me translate that gibberish.

That German is mainly just the usual drivel, but I don't think it's repeated in the English bit so translation:

He has already been labelled as 'most influential artist ever' in pop history, founded the Smiths, and after that carried on as a solo artist, whose albums always made it into the top ten of the UK Album charts: there aren't many artists today who can touch Morrissey.

He polarises [opinion] and cultivates a feeling of being an outsider and has nevertheless, or rather because of that, a passionate fan base world-wide.

Morrissey has announced his new album Low in High School for November, before which he will appear in the US, the highlight of which being the already announced appearance in the Hollywood Bowl in LA. Before that he will play in Berlin some of his new songs as well as some of his big hits.

Thank you!

Huh? Is the Sparks concert just happening? It looks like it, but I am not sure. I followed the link, looked around and there they are singing...
https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/078567-001-A/berlin-live-sparks/
It does say "livestream" and "live", but I find it hard to believe that I am just looking at it while it is happening.
I remember when they were on German television in the early 70s, I must have been three years old, which makes it one of my earliest memories. I noticed when I checked them out on youtube and up came that video and I knew I saw it before in my childhood! :lbf: Sounds good, like it. And I love those striped shirts! Cool if they'll broadcast the Morrissey concert like this!

"He has already been labelled as 'most influential artist ever' in pop history".

Who said that? Did anyone notify Elvis, The Beatles, or Bob Dylan?

thanks, dr statham, i think this translates beautifully and makes sense. i just wondered about the "schon" in the first line, without wanting to be too nit-picking here. i might be wrong, but on the first read i understood it as "even", as in "es gab auch schon Gelegenheiten, in denen er ... bla bla blub"? as we both love home is a question mark, i thought i could bring this up

Yeah sorry I missed that lol. Just quickly did it, didn't proof read or anything... I think I also messed up the tense a little later on... It should really be 'whose albums have always made it...' rather than just 'always made it'.

i wouldnt have noticed that, mixing these past tenses up all the time, but now that you mention it, i think the present perfect is probably the better choice, maybe not in the us, but i'm not sure

Yeah I think I still got the meaning across with everything, like the tense is still understandable and schon isn't essential, but saying 'always made' rather than 'always have made' kinda would suggest that he is no longer producing albums. Of course it's easy to mix them up seeing as German doesn't differentiate really!

If I may join the knitpicking, I'd go for "whose albums all made it to the top ten", but I'm unsure if that's a good translation to English.

Oh yeah you're certainly right actually. Just looked at the German itself again and yeah it is alle rather than immer. But I think like I said before my tense could be better there (although what I originally said and what you said make sense). So 'whose albums have all made it to UK top ten'.

But like I said this was just a quick translation without proof-reading and I could have misread something as I was in a bit of a rush - although I can't see any glaring errors.

yeah, i agree, plus some sentences in the german version read like having been translated from the english language themselves, like in "es gibt nur wenige Künstler heute" which kinda reflects the english sentence structure in a way, i think. so, no easy job here

Yeah that's true I would have put heute a bit earlier in that sentence. Außenseitertum is one thing that certainly wasn't translated from English! Not sure if there even is a direct word for that... Outsiderdom? Outsiderness? Don't sound right lol.

You forgot "successful" before "solo artist" and I hope you're adequately ashamed of yourself now.

Oh crap I didn't notice the erfolgreicher there :lbf:

You know what, maybe I should just have proof-read it! Oh well like I said it is pretty much the usual old drivel, I think the meaning came across alright! I hope I haven't offended half the website by taking an unintentional dig at Mozzer ;)

This is what I just received from Arte TV. I didn't get on "the list" to go. f***ers!

Anyway:

"Dear Berlin live community

For all those who could not get any space for the recording with Morrissey on the 11th, a small consoling patch:

Arte Concert shows the entire performance live on the Internet.

In the following link, you can follow the Morrissey concert in real time from about 6:50 pm.

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/078567-002-A/berlin-live-morrissey/
Should you have something else tomorrow evening, the stream will be available for 24 hours in the media library under this link.

We wish you lots of fun while singing and singing!"

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom