Morrissey not vegan?

Sorry, i try to follow your line of argument here, but i cannot understand why someone who - according to your knowledge - is NOT a vegan MUST BE aware of the conditions of farm animals.

Could you explain that to me? Thank you.

However i can of course understand your outrage with regard to factory farming. It simply breaks my heart seeing pictures and knowing about the silent tragedies happening there. Just today, here in Germany, 100.000 turkeys were killed (gassed) because they've found a bird flu virus in a farm. They call this sort of killing procedure "culling", and this euphemism alone makes me vomit with anger. And this is just the tip of the iceberg - one hundred thousand lives. Does anybody care?

Morrissey doesn't care about the 100k dairy calves killed so he can steal their mother's milk made into cheese.

"About 100,000 dairy calves were killed last year just because they were the ‘wrong sex’, new figures have revealed."

http://www.politics.co.uk/opinion-f...0-000-british-calves-killed-on-farm-and-11-00

Milk is Murder.

best
BB

Nope. Not at all. But finicky eaters--those trying to rigidly control their diets--exhibit disordered eating behaviors.

Did you read the article you linked to? Why did you feel the need to link to the article in question?

Many vegetarians/vegans have eating disorders. And many gay men do as well.

Evidence would indicate that many people with eating disorders use vegetarianism in order to try to mask or hide their eating disorders. Not really related to the link you posted, which was a Jezebel article attacking a restaurant critic who made some inflammatory (and medically unfounded) claims about vegetarians to draw attention to himself. As far as the other comment, evidence does seem to indicate that eating disorders disproportionately afflict part of the LGBT population, though that is really a much more complicated issue than a single throw away quip on a message board and a link to a non-relevant article would indicate. I also suspect there is an issue of eating disorders being under diagnosed/under reported in other demographic populations (i.e. heterosexual males) due to social stereotypes about eating disorders, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation.

Not sure how any of this is relevant to the original topic, but I guess kudos for providing us all with an opportunity to discuss an often marginalized social problem...

I can't diagnose Moz as having one as I am not his psychiatrist.

Yes, this is true. Very true.

His flesh phobia--at the exclusion of animal fluids--warrants further investigation, imo.

No it doesn't.

And also

I can't diagnose Moz as having one as I am not his psychiatrist.

Did you read the article you linked to? Why did you feel the need to link to the article in question?

In case anyone was interested in the topic. Granted it was a review/opinion piece dissing a book. But it's a window into the discussion.

Evidence would indicate that many people with eating disorders use vegetarianism in order to try to mask or hide their eating disorders.

Sometimes an eating disorder manifests as veganism/vegetarianism. Other times as health food addiction, anorexia, bulimia, or compulsive overeating. Or a combination of two or more. An eating disorder is essentially disordered eating. There are different kinds. Some are lethal, some are just annoying to others e.g. Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (veganism/vegetarianism falls into this group). Some people may (choose to?) go the vegan route to express their eating disorder as it is way more socially acceptable--being considered ethical and healthy--choice, than say, bingeing and purging. It's mostly about control. There is a lot of literature out there if you are interested in learning more.

As far as the other comment, evidence does seem to indicate that eating disorders disproportionately afflict part of the LGBT population, though that is really a much more complicated issue than a single throw away quip on a message board and a link to a non-relevant article would indicate. I also suspect there is an issue of eating disorders being under diagnosed/under reported in other demographic populations (i.e. heterosexual males) due to social stereotypes about eating disorders, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation.

Eating Disorders in LGBT Populations

Last edited:
it just seems odd that he was not always a vegan. hes seemed to always put animals in such high regard, the fact that he did not always avoid dairy in his lifetime seems odd because animals are not treated humanely in these sorts of conditions. He proclaims an animal's life is just as important as a humans but the enslavement of animals purely for dairy products is ok treatment? so what hes a vegan now or he became one 10 damn years ago, hes always had the same belief on animals so its only right his eating habits match the whole time. did it only take recent years for him to come to the conclusion how wrong animals are treated in the production of dairy products?

he needs to learn just like everyone else does and did evolve in his views just like everyone. hes a busy guy as well from a very young age. im amazed he has any time at all to think about anything at all. unlike the rest of hes successful and busy

he needs to learn just like everyone else does and did evolve in his views just like everyone. hes a busy guy as well from a very young age. im amazed he has any time at all to think about anything at all. unlike the rest of hes successful and busy

LOL!
From the age of 16 to 22, Morrissey was on the dole and did nothing much at all. Yes, it's amazing he has time to think when he's rushing to miss planes or imagining invitations to appear on C4

best
BB

it just seems odd that he was not always a vegan. hes seemed to always put animals in such high regard, the fact that he did not always avoid dairy in his lifetime seems odd because animals are not treated humanely in these sorts of conditions. He proclaims an animal's life is just as important as a humans but the enslavement of animals purely for dairy products is ok treatment? so what hes a vegan now or he became one 10 damn years ago, hes always had the same belief on animals so its only right his eating habits match the whole time. did it only take recent years for him to come to the conclusion how wrong animals are treated in the production of dairy products?

He has improved, to the extent that 10 years ago his diet seemed to be mostly yoghurt etc, and he appears to have phased out dairy milk for soy milk, and finally removed eggs from his diet (according to interviews, like literally a couple of years ago). But he is still a cheese addict.

I mean - this is a photo of the guy waving a box of Cheeze-Its around from 2007 - and no - he wasn't bereating people for eating them, he was/is a fan: "You brought your dinner - I brought mine". And this was whilst claiming to be an animal protectionist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/dzhemini/m7/01.jpg
http://clatl.com/binary/b563/1411565947-morrissey1_web.jpg

He has improved, to the extent that 10 years ago his diet seemed to be mostly yoghurt etc, and he appears to have phased out dairy milk for soy milk, and finally removed eggs from his diet (according to interviews, like literally a couple of years ago). But he is still a cheese addict.

I mean - this is a photo of the guy waving a box of Cheeze-Its around from 2007 - and no - he wasn't bereating people for eating them, he was/is a fan: "You brought your dinner - I brought mine". And this was whilst claiming to be an animal protectionist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/dzhemini/m7/01.jpg
http://clatl.com/binary/b563/1411565947-morrissey1_web.jpg

He's cleaned up his diet. He's much thinner than in the Cheez it photo, and is no longer askin for them or orange soda on the rider.

Espeicially as quite a lot of Stella McCartney's food has egg in it. Goddamn that's annoying! :(

Only recently did I discover that Morrissey is strictly vegetarian and not vegan. Although I always saw Morrissey being proclaimed as a vegetarian, I just always assumed he was still vegan on a basis of common sense. His personality and opinions all point towards a lifestly of veganism, but on the contrary, he is just a vegetarian. From what I've observed, Morrissey finds eating meat completely pointless. We are intelligent beings capable enough to find sources of food without the sensless murder of living aniamls. He even feels so strongly about not eating meat that he wont be in the same buidling with cooked meat as shown on his interview with Colbert. He also won't perform if he smells cooked meat, and even said during that same performance that he smelled burning meat and hoped it was human! (Of course I'm sure this is an exaggeration but the point is still clear) With all this known, why oh why oh whyyyyyy does he think its ok to farm animals and keep them in such harsh conditions purely for milk, cheese, and other resources. Yes, we may not be killing the animals right away, but instead of ending their misery they need to live in constant torture so they can provide us with eggs and other products until they are no longer functional. You can use the possibility he only does free range, but I highly doubt that every dairy product he has ever had in his lifetime was free range. I'm not even vegetarian so I'm not saying this on bias terms. I'm questioning his reasoning because of how open and militant he is with animal rights and yet he's not vegan! If you just go on google and search different sources you'll find plenty of harsh statements coming from him about how horrible meat eaters should feel about themselves and how he's pro animal rights. PRO ANIMAL RIGHTS? Give me a break those cows and chickens being used for milk and eggs have no rights!

I find Morrissey to be a very interesting man and many discussions he has with interviewers are quite enlightening, but he has opened himself up to such hypocrisy and contradictory it is truly astonishing. How can someone be so reasonable yet so blind to their hypocrisy

Morrissey not vegan?

Can't really comment on that I'm afraid, but I did hear that he eats a lot of toast, if that helps?

And likes a cup of tea.

He has a reputation amongst the general public as being someone who would be described as animal rights activists, does he not?

Yes, he does, but he gets a lot of the same criticism as Morrissey for not being vegan.

Yes, he does, but he gets a lot of the same criticism as Morrissey for not being vegan.

Such as criticism that he is not really committed to animal rights and is just "trolling" or that he in fact has a childhood phobia of flesh and is using animal rights as a cover for his mental illness?

Such as criticism that he is not really committed to animal rights and is just "trolling" or that he in fact has a childhood phobia of flesh and is using animal rights as a cover for his mental illness?

Not that I've ever seen, no, but I've never visited paulmccartney-solo.com. :D In the vegan groups I'm part of, the criticism of Morrissey and PM is more along the lines of wondering why they're not vegan, but acknowledging that one or the other was instrumental in raising the initial awareness of many a future vegan at a critical time in life.

Tags
animal rights hypocrite morrissey vegan vegetarian
Back
Top Bottom