Morrissey - Most Unusual Abstract Tracks

Mozza220559

Surmontil 50
So out of Morrissey's solo efforts since 1988 what do you think have been some of his best abstract, unique tracks? On my way home from work today Alsatian Cousin came on shuffle, the name it's self is very intriguing with gutsy, mysterious lyrics, the song is tight and has good pace. It's quite a dark, unusual song considering a large portion of his tracks have a "lilting melody" with pleasant chord progressions, this though to me is one of the few tracks which sound dark, gritty and obtuse, I really wish Moz could do more tracks like this, I think it suits his vocals and sardonic style. It comes as a breath of fresh air from the usual G/A/C/D chords. Malajusted carries similar traits and The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils also. I'll mention as well that Girl Least Likely To and I Will See You In Far Off Places are among some hidden gems as far as Moz songs go, very underrated and not usually expected from the Moz canon.

So what in your opinion is a stark and abstract Morrissey track?

So out of Morrissey's solo efforts since 1988 what do you think have been some of his best abstract, unique tracks? On my way home from work today Alsatian Cousin came on shuffle, the name it's self is very intriguing with gutsy, mysterious lyrics, the song is tight and has good pace. It's quite a dark, unusual song considering a large portion of his tracks have a "lilting melody" with pleasant chord progressions, this though to me is one of the few tracks which sound dark, gritty and obtuse, I really wish Moz could do more tracks like this, I think it suits his vocals and sardonic style. It comes as a breath of fresh air from the usual G/A/C/D chords. Malajusted carries similar traits and The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils also. I'll mention as well that Girl Least Likely To and I Will See You In Far Off Places are among some hidden gems as far as Moz songs go, very underrated and not usually expected from the Moz canon.

So what in your opinion is a stark and abstract Morrissey track?

"Sweetie -Pie !" he exclaimed , again and again. I so thoroughly enjoy this song that , quite frankly , when the alternate version popped up ( you know , the Farrell [ ?] version ) and people were speaking of their preference for that one , I felt anxious , ill and enraged....

Well , alright , not quite - but the lyrics and abstracted whirring of the original release seemed so perfect that .... I'm ending my life / because I've fallen in love ...

Banging on , I still feel tempted to roll myself into the recovery position when I remember Moz released "Sweetie..." , "Good-Looking.." & " My life Is A Succession ..." as B-sides ...

Last edited:
For weirdness and that general surreal atmosphere, I like "Ganglord" and "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning". They both give me the creeps, in a good way. Smiths-era, I'd go for Wonderful Woman.

I don't know about any previously released material that I'd deem "abstract" -after all, this is a guy who has never left the verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/lather rinse repeat pattern, and whose idea of experimental is the instrumental break in Black-Eyed Susan- but as for his future output, I'd say at this point that any good song would be classifiable as pretty unusual and unexpected.

The Father Who Must Be Killed is an amazing song. The lyrics seem very cinematic to and really take you on an emotional and visual journey. I don't understand why it is so disliked.

I don't know about any previously released material that I'd deem "abstract" -after all, this is a guy who has never left the verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/lather rinse repeat pattern, and whose idea of experimental is the instrumental break in Black-Eyed Susan- but as for his future output, I'd say at this point that any good song would be classifiable as pretty unusual and unexpected.

Well done, yet again you spread your nasty negative vibes on another nice little thread.
Give yourself a pat on the back, you must be feeling real good about yourself.
Good job fella!

Well done, yet again you spread your nasty negative vibes on another nice little thread.
Give yourself a pat on the back, you must be feeling real good about yourself.
Good job fella!

Just calling it like I see it. The guy has done hundreds of incredible songs, but "abstract"and "experimental"are pretty much out of reach for him. Even his weirdest songs still follow a pop formula, for the most part.

And I wanna tell you how sorry I feel that you don't like my opinion. It's breakin' me up.

Just calling it like I see it. The guy has done hundreds of incredible songs, but "abstract"and "experimental"are pretty much out of reach for him. Even his weirdest songs still follow a pop formula, for the most part.

Well, I think the original poster meant in terms of sounds and production. I don't think anyone is really arguing with you in terms of song structure. But "I'd Love To" immediately came to mind for me because it's so ethereal and synth-based. I think that when Morrissey dispenses with guitars - which is rare - that's when things become more engaging, musically.

But obviously it wouldn't work as a signature sound for him. It's a nice departure every once in awhile.

Hundreds of incredible songs? Well, he's sung 250 songs in total, and large numbers of those (particularly the last 100-150) are far from incredible.

I kind of have to agree with Sylarker, because avant garde isn't really something Morrissey dabbles in. He's always said that he likes to make pop music, so basic melodies and formats make up pop music. It's really the lyrics that are 'out there' because you don't normally get serious lyrics in pop music. Still, by Morrissey's standards I would say Southpaw, The Teachers are Afraid of The Pupils, The Operation, Sweetie Pie, Get Off The Stage, Jack The Ripper, Lifeguard Sleeping and This is Not Your Country are pretty abstract. I also thought At Last I am Born was a little strange too, and Life Is A Pigsty.

And I wanna tell you how sorry I feel that you don't like my opinion. It's breakin' me up.

You are right of course, please accept my apologies for my previous post.
I think I've finally had it with this place, it's so DEPRESSING!
I always seem to leave this site feeling down.
I don't wish to get into any conflict here so I am off.
I'll miss one or 2 people here (bye Amy, all the best Kewpie).

Skylarker, please do me a last favour by coming back with one of your devastating ripostes, or better still one of your 'hilarious' animated gifs.

Velvis has left the building...

Skylarker, please do me a last favour by coming back with one of your devastating ripostes, or better still one of your 'hilarious' animated gifs.

Oh Come on Velvis, don't be daft, you know what Skylarker is like, he's always the ghost at the feast, it's part of his persona, don't take him so seriously, he's always a bit of a sarcastic bugger, it's a forum discussing Moz's music, this is just a sub thread chatting about his more unusual, arty tracks, Skylarker like all of us is fine putting across his point, I know this place is sometimes on a bit of a downer (probably only because knack-all is going on in Moz land music wise, and we're all bored to f*** longing for a great, new album and the book) but don't bloody leave!

You're being silly.

Well, I think the original poster meant in terms of sounds and production. I don't think anyone is really arguing with you in terms of song structure. But "I'd Love To" immediately came to mind for me because it's so ethereal and synth-based. I think that when Morrissey dispenses with guitars - which is rare - that's when things become more engaging, musically.

But obviously it wouldn't work as a signature sound for him. It's a nice departure every once in awhile.
Yeah, I just think it's funny to use the term abstract or experimental in connection with Morrissey. But yes, within his pop framework, he's certainly strayed from the path a few times...Maladjusted, Sorrow Will Come In The End, Sweetie Pie, I'd Love To, most of Southpaw Grammar......little bits here and there, most of which have been mentioned.

I like his formula; it doesn't bore me. I wouldn't be interested in Einsturzende Mozbauten.

Hundreds of incredible songs? Well, he's sung 250 songs in total, and large numbers of those (particularly the last 100-150) are far from incredible.

Well I hadn't sopped to count. Perhaps I was feeling generous. I like the bulk of what he's done, if just looking at the songs, in a cursory overview of the catalog. Forgive the hyperbole.

god10.gif

Awww, don't go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom