morrissey frink thread!

It's the first one. :blushing:

Some of these were originally printed in the 16 March 1985 issue of Melody Maker on occasion of a Trial by Jury aka a collective interview by a number of fanzine writers (among them one ... Dave ... Has-been...? No, sorry. It's Haslam, actually.), which had been proposed by Morrissey because after merely two years in the spotlight he was already tired of speaking to the music press, or, as he called it, he'd "virtually exhausted the conventional format of pop rag interviews", bless his heart.

View attachment 69804

View attachment 69805

A couple of shots were later used/reprinted in Uncut specials, that's were the reversed image probably comes from. I have a few more colour pictures of him hiding under the stairs, but he really looks like an ailing prawn in those...

If posters are your bag...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRISSEY-GREY-ORIGINAL-80s-POSTER-OLIVER-BOOKS-PUB-THE-SMITHS-INDIE-ROCK-
EX/353216876261

Morrissey Catlin poster.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The following are scans that í took & touched up a tad, from original His Master's Voice / EMI 8x10 promotional photographs ~

View attachment 69689

View attachment 69690

If you want the full-size scans {5K & 4K} of these images click on the link below {m-s only allows me to post a certain size} ~

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUPyGaa

The album contains those two Wapping whoppers, plus an additional two Battersea big ones, just cos í love them so ~

View attachment 69691
View attachment 69692

Again, sourced from original record company promo 8x10s.

And, for good measure, these tiny Teller gems, grabbed from the "Arena Homme+" 'Memphis Morrissey' edition of 2015 ~

View attachment 69693

View attachment 69694

View attachment 69695

Just to give further illustration of the greatness of The Quiff on that sunny May day in far-off London town...

To Moz, With Love... ;)

very cool thanks :thumb:

Was the film locations the reason for Morrissey to take those photos around there you think? Or do those places have another significance?

Yes, í believe that was the reason KS. "To Sir, With Love" is a film that he has listed as a fave rave. And he is a Lulu luver.

As for the Battersea portion of the shoot, a couple of miles away, í have no clue.

í don't imagine that Juergen Teller came up with the location. Wapping in 1990 doesn't exactly scream 'fashion!' He was obviously happy with the snaps, as he telephoned Mr T to offer Thanks, which the shooter was impolite enough to ignore.

So, yes, despite, obviously, being a BIG FAT FASCIST he apparently wanted to follow in the swaggering footsteps of Sidney Poitier... :love:

very cool thanks :thumb:

Was the film locations the reason for Morrissey to take those photos around there you think? Or do those places have another significance?

One additional notion that í forgot, is what may be reasonably diagnosed as Morrissey's 'Objectophilia' ~ the term deployed for an attraction to inanimate objects {of the non-human variety}.
You recall the person that married a San Diego train station? Or that bride of the Eiffel Tower? Or the one that got hitched to a cruise liner? And the Berlin Wall? Of course you do...

sd station.jpg

berlin bride.jpg

eiffel oof.jpg

Seem familiar...?

Scene here, from "Autobiography" ~

"In place of food, my senses existentially turn to old high walls of red brick, and I lie awake at night weighing the fascination. There will never be an end or a conclusion to this dazed attraction, and even now, decades on, I cannot find any written acknowledgement of the trance such things pull me into."

Thus, the union of Tench Street with Reardon must surely have offered untold afternoon delights

The metaphor of the street bollard need not, in all decency, be elaborated upon, nor the gentle patting of the pavement while seated.
In the Battersea shot that adorns the rear sleeve of "Bona Drag" he appears to be tenderly clinging to that ancient holy lamp post for his dear life...

Lockdown will be over soon, right...?

One additional notion that í forgot, is what may be reasonably diagnosed as Morrissey's 'Objectophilia' ~ the term deployed for an attraction to inanimate objects {of the non-human variety}.
You recall the person that married a San Diego train station? Or that bride of the Eiffel Tower? Or the one that got hitched to a cruise liner? And the Berlin Wall? Of course you do...

View attachment 69901

View attachment 69902

View attachment 69903

Seem familiar...?

Scene here, from "Autobiography" ~

"In place of food, my senses existentially turn to old high walls of red brick, and I lie awake at night weighing the fascination. There will never be an end or a conclusion to this dazed attraction, and even now, decades on, I cannot find any written acknowledgement of the trance such things pull me into."

Thus, the union of Tench Street with Reardon must surely have offered untold afternoon delights

The metaphor of the street bollard need not, in all decency, be elaborated upon, nor the gentle patting of the pavement while seated.
In the Battersea shot that adorns the rear sleeve of "Bona Drag" he appears to be tenderly clinging to that ancient holy lamp post for his dear life...

Lockdown will be over soon, right...?

I was reading an early interview where he said he fell in love with images.

Imagine trying to compete with his favourite photo of James Dean!

Although, also, now you mention it:

ccdfb4ef77ad5ce3dd46f5c7166b0876.jpg

f5e03839bffe2395991429e027991792.jpg

5afe4bebf323e935225900f3c35a2da9.jpg

8b0fe605b0614e84bf973975ae79972c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of being called dirrrty names again...

Maybe not as unusual as embracing stone and steel, but his deeply felt passion for cars, especially leather-seated ones, should not go unmentioned in the context of his preference for inanimate objects.

"As a child of the 60s, when the seats of cars were made of leather, to me there was something highly erotic about actually being in a car. I have always found cars highly erotic."

Humasexual
my behind... more like auto-...

Might explain why so many key scenes in his lyrics take place in vehicles.

If a 1961 Ford Consul were to ask me, ask me, ask me, I wouldn't say no...

Morrissey1991_Douglas_Brothers_2.jpg

Last edited:
I think you two hit upon an important detail. The thing of him being able to love things that have been created by people instead of being able to love the people themselves, that for him
turning to these structures or man made things, objects, these ideas of perfection, rather than turning to the people that made them with all their human faults and scheming, may seem for him a safer bet.

@joe frady @GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn

At the risk of being called dirrrty names again...

Maybe not as unusual as embracing stone and steel, but his deeply felt passion for cars, especially leather-seated ones, should not go unmentioned in the context of his preference for inanimate objects.

"As a child of the 60s, when the seats of cars were made of leather, to me there was something highly erotic about actually being in a car. I have always found cars highly erotic."

Humasexual
my behind... more like auto-...

Might explain why so many key scenes in his lyrics take place in vehicles.

If a 1961 Ford Consul were to ask me, ask me, ask me I wouldn't say no...

View attachment 69926

Gently caressing the consoling curve of his Consul headlamp...

Mutual happiness guaranteed :brows:

Joel Fabiani Jaguar E-type.jpg

Wading through Moz's hellscape publicity again & decided that if I was the editor of the NME in 1992, this 👇 would have been the front cover & the headline would have been 'Morrissey Is Not Flirting With Me, This Is A Disaster'.

shirt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Birthday to Steve McQueen...

Morrissey West Hollywood Linder 1999.jpg

í think it's flocking luvverly :hearteyes:

It's probably very cosy but I'd prefer a darker palette...

Seeing both pictures together, I just realised for the first time that the Bullitt poster in the 2004 shot seems to have been pinned directly to the door...? Over the ornaments? 😨

It's probably very cosy but I'd prefer a darker palette...

Seeing both pictures together, I just realised for the first time that the Bullitt poster in the 2004 shot seems to have been pinned directly to the door...? Over the ornaments? 😨

It's the teen-age thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom