Morrissey defends Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein - BBC News

javert

Super Moderator
Subscriber
Morrissey defends Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinsteir - BBC News

Excerpt:
Morrissey has attracted controversy after defending Kevin Spacey over allegations of sexual abuse.

He said the star had been "attacked unnecessarily", adding it was "ridiculous" that Spacey was being erased from an upcoming film.

The former Smiths singer also argued that definitions of harassment and assault have become too broad.

"Anyone who ever said 'I like you' to someone else is suddenly being charged with sexual harassment," he said.

Speaking to Germany's Der Spiegel newspaper, the 58-year-old began by stating "rape is disgusting [and] every physical attack is repugnant".

Full text:

Morrissey has attracted controversy after defending Kevin Spacey over allegations of sexual abuse.

He said the star had been "attacked unnecessarily", adding it was "ridiculous" that Spacey was being erased from an upcoming film.

The former Smiths singer also argued that definitions of harassment and assault have become too broad.

"Anyone who ever said 'I like you' to someone else is suddenly being charged with sexual harassment," he said.

Speaking to Germany's Der Spiegel newspaper, the 58-year-old began by stating "rape is disgusting [and] every physical attack is repugnant".

Last month, actor Anthony Rapp accused Kevin Spacey of harassing him when he was 14.

Rapp told Buzzfeed that Spacey, then aged 26, laid on top of him at a party at his apartment in 1986 and alleged the star "was trying to seduce" him.

Spacey said he was "beyond horrified" by the claim, adding that he did not remember the alleged incident.

Morrissey said Rapp's claims "did not sound very credible to me".

"I don't know about you, but I was never in situations like this in my youth," he told Der Spiegel (his comments have been translated into German and back).

"Never. I was always aware of what could happen. When you are in somebody's bedroom, you have to be aware of where that can lead to."

The singer also cast doubt on the dozens of women who have accused film producer Harvey Weinstein of assault.

"People know exactly what's going on," he reportedly said when asked about Weinstein inviting actresses to his hotel room, "and they play along".

"Afterwards, they feel embarrassed or disliked. And then they turn it around and say: 'I was attacked, I was surprised'.

"But if everything went well, and if it had given them a great career, they would not talk about it."

"I hate rape... But in many cases, one looks at the circumstances and thinks that the person who is considered a victim is merely disappointed."

More than 50 women, many of them some of the biggest names in Hollywood, have accused the disgraced film producer of sexual assault, harassment, abuse and rape, which allegedly took place over four decades.

Morrissey added that many famous musicians had slept with fans who were under the age of consent.

"Throughout the history of music and rock 'n' roll there have been musicians who slept with their groupies," he said, while clarifying that he was not one of them.

"If you go through history, almost everyone is guilty of sleeping with minors. Why not throw everyone in jail right away?

The BBC contacted Morrissey's representatives for a response to Der Spiegel's report, but were informed he would not be making any further comments.

Morrissey defends Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinsteir - BBC News

Excerpt:

Now isn't that just typical? I searched the BBC for info last week about Morrissey Day in LA. Do you think I could find anything? Nope! https://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=morrissey But this bollocks, oh yes, of course the BBC would post an article on this bollocks!

"Teach your kids to recognize and despise all the propaganda
Filtered down by the dead echelons mainstream media"

Indeed!

Now isn't that just typical? I searched the BBC for info last week about Morrissey Day in LA. Do you think I could find anything? Nope! But this bollocks, oh yes, of course the BBC would post an article on this bollocks!

"Teach your kids to recognize and despise all the propaganda
Filtered down by the dead echelons mainstream media"

Indeed!

Yep. It's bollocks when powerful people force themselves on unwilling victims, isn't it, you apologist scumbag.

Yep. It's bollocks when powerful people force themselves on unwilling victims, isn't it, you apologist scumbag.

Look moderator, Morrissey could've said 'No comment' but he didn't, he gave his opinion and now the clowns are out in force with their pitchfork-shaped balloons!

Also, f*** off please. Thanks.

His defense of the spacey situation is wrong and undefendable but he is right about the history of people sleeping with minors. It does baffle me how people will be angry at morrissey for wrongly supporting in any way Kevin spacey but still play there Iggy and Bowie albums never mentioning that they actually did have sex with minors

His defense of the spacey situation is wrong and undefendable but he is right about the history of people sleeping with minors. It does baffle me how people will be angry at morrissey for wrongly supporting in any way Kevin spacey but still play there Iggy and Bowie albums never mentioning that they actually did have sex with minors

Got this via Shirley Manson's Twitter

Did she comment on it? Nope!

Got this via Shirley Manson's Twitter

Did she comment on it? Nope!

Or, did she comment on it? Nope!

macron_victory_speech_0904_hands_up_under_eye_of_pyramid_gamma_2-5.jpg

It's a good job Morrissey said "rape is disgusting and every physical attack is repugnant" then; I'd hate to see his comments being misconstrued.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Noisey tack on the 'multiculturalism' element:

Morrissey Defends Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey, Attacks Multiculturalism.

"Morrissey and his bad opinions are back in the news. The former Smiths frontman and hero to the foppish is promoting a new solo album, so he's doing a few interviews, each of which gives him a unique opportunity to say something objectionable."

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/artic...ein-and-kevin-spacey-attacks-multiculturalism

Regards,
FWD.
(apologies if repeated info - the threads are a bit busy).

It's a good job Morrissey said "rape is disgusting and every physical attack is repugnant" then; I'd hate to see his comments being misconstrued.

It's not so much that he stands accused of liking rape, but of thinking that 14 year-old boys are fair game for grown men and that when dozens of women complain of being raped or sexually assaulted by the same man, it is more likely that they are mostly bitter liars than that he has done anything wrong.

No-one's ever going to say in an interview "I'll tell you what I think is splendid: rape", but that really is missing the point.

I'm sure BMG is thrilled by all this negative attention 4 days into a record release.

Back
Top Bottom