Morrissey : Dangerously English by Tom Slater spiked-online.com

MORRISSEY: DANGEROUSLY ENGLISH.
By Tom Slater.

Excerpt:

"In the run up to this LP, as Morrissey has done the interview rounds and aired his increasingly unfashionable views on a range of topics, the knives have been out. ‘As he ages, Morrissey’s worldview gets smaller and smaller’, says a writer at Pitchfork. One columnist, responding to Morrissey admitting ‘I like Nigel Farage a great deal’, implores Johnny Marr, the guitar-player wunderkind and other half of the Smiths songwriting duo, to disassociate Mozzer from the Smiths legend, so it wouldn’t be ‘tainted by the lunk-headed ravings of a professional irritant’. ‘Old greatness spoiled by ugliness and spite’, was the headline of the Guardian’s lukewarm review of his new album.

They’re entitled to disagree with him, not to mention dislike his music. If anything, the backlash to Morrissey’s comments about #MeToo (he said what’s now called sexual harassment is often a ‘pathetic attempt at courtship’), Brexit (‘a fascinating strike for democracy’), and the anti-Israel BDS movement (‘absurd and narrow-minded’), is taking the heat off the serviceable but often-tuneless Low in High School. Sonically, he’s at a Maladjusted-era low – the 1997 album that effectively sealed his irrelevance and sent him into the wilderness for seven years – with cluttered electronics trying to fill the gap where the melodies once were."

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/morrissey-dangerously-english/20607#.WiGasRmnzqA

An exploration of controversy from The Smiths until now through albums and events.

Regards,
FWD.

"serviceable but often-tuneless Low in High School."

What? It's got more hooks than a fishing tackle Warehouse.
Not reading this bogus article. Cheers.

Or maybe... 'dangerously Irish' ? don't know. Just watched a doc on Anthony Burgess and he said something along the lines that he feels he's become more Irish as he's grown older. Just throwing that out there, see what folks think.
He couldn't be more English if he tried. :p

I won't click that hideous link! I prefer mining crypto currency during my free time. Morrissey is more British than the monarchy. Fact.

Or maybe... 'dangerously Irish' ? don't know. Just watched a doc on Anthony Burgess and he said something along the lines that he feels he's become more Irish as he's grown older. Just throwing that out there, see what folks think.
What a coincidence! I read some random pages from the excellent Len Brown book 'conversations with Morrissey' earlier tonight and it talked about how Pat Phoenix (Coronation Street) and Moz were becoming way more Irish as they got older (the interview was just before Quarry), even though Ireland never featured in Smiths songs. However you can sometimes associate the sadness/melancholy of The Smiths with Irish balads so maybe his roots were always there but buried under the Manchester soil. To me Moz will always be Irish Blood/English Heart no matter where he lives.
P.s. Len Brown's book is entertaining and is a nice engaging read and is great for dipping in and out of. Perfect for quiet time in the toilet in other words.

Yeah what? Take aim at Mozzah’s views fine but calling the album tuneless? Your own hate stains your vision!
Bloody great album, it is. 'Home is a question mark ' alone makes the album worth buying. 'Israel', 'Jackie', and 'Spent The Day' are excellent too. Love it, do I. Strong with the force, is Moz.

"serviceable but often-tuneless Low in High School."

What? It's got more hooks than a fishing tackle Warehouse.
Not reading this bogus article. Cheers.
Me neither. I've given up years ago caring what critics think (good or bad). Most of them have an agenda and try to pander to basic instincts. In an insideout world it is cool to like Ed Sheeran and cool to hate anything that isn't vulgar vulvic vomit.

What a coincidence! I read some random pages from the excellent Len Brown book 'conversations with Morrissey' earlier tonight and it talked about how Pat Phoenix (Coronation Street) and Moz were becoming way more Irish as they got older (the interview was just before Quarry), even though Ireland never featured in Smiths songs. However you can sometimes associate the sadness/melancholy of The Smiths with Irish balads so maybe his roots were always there but buried under the Manchester soil. To me Moz will always be Irish Blood/English Heart no matter where he lives.
P.s. Len Brown's book is entertaining and is a nice engaging read and is great for dipping in and out of. Perfect for quiet time in the toilet in other words.

To me Steve will always be a CrankFraud.

BtBB :greatbritain::knife:

Anybody remember that radio interview Morrissey did with Dermot O'Leary? LOL "I feel more Irish than British".

Anybody remember that radio interview Morrissey did with Dermot O'Leary? LOL "I feel more Irish than British".
Shyness you have to be careful saying anything on this site. The anonymous keep on removing removing removing, and will attack you.

Shyness you have to be careful saying anything on this site. The anonymous keep on removing removing removing, and will attack you.
What do you mean? lol

A man who has James Baldwin as a huge backdrop at his shows... or has David Hoyle dancing in his videoclip... or had spoken about the anarchist point of view that animals are perfectly equal with human beings... or educating the youngsters to hate the Army and the Police... or demanding to axe the Royalty.... or celebrating Guy Fawkes... or trolling the fascist journalist of fully right wing German paper Der Spiegel about the poor nazi soldiers(haha) who died for their country on 2nd WW... or writing even almost in his 60s verses like "the rich must profit and get richer and the poor must stay poor" and "honour mad cannon fodder".... and chanting acapella in his entrance of Tel Aviv show "people have the power!"... or... or... or... cannot be what haters want him to be. Of course he speaks out loud in public what YOU couldn't do -seriously or hillariously- about in a couch surrounding by very close friends in the evening but that is how he made his name... I do not agree with him in everything but it is natural. I won't take a hatchet to his ear because he misses old England or he thinks Nigel has the gift of the gab. In any ways he has been guaranteed top revolutionary more than anyone of us who should live 10 lives to do the same... That is why he is Morrissey in person in life and on stage and we are nicknames texting for him in sites or standing in the cue to watch him as close as possible. Relax!

What do you mean? lol
Just that people here can get mad at the mere suggestion that Moz may be anything other than 100% English.
In fairness he spent a huge part of his life in England, and obviously that includes his formative years.

Just that people here can get mad at the mere suggestion that Moz may be anything other than 100% English.
In fairness he spent a huge part of his life in England, and obviously that includes his formative years.
The "I feel more Irish than British" or could have been English?I can't remember, it was Dermot who said it lol and Morrissey's reaction was funny.

I don't think being English is good or bad. Or German. Or Chinese, Basque, Tibetan, etc. Those are cultural archetypes which are not good or bad by themselves. Of course they are different and that is the beauty of being human, sometimes you feel you belong to a group, sometimes other people think so just by the way you are. Some other people feel they are citizens of the world and that's wonderful too, because there is not only one way of being human. But that doesn't mean we can't judge the way temporary leaders of those groups behave with their own people and with the rest of the world. In fact, all leaders are temporary. At the same time we can't judge common people by their leaders, I strongly refuse to think so, because economical and political power are very easy to grab by the wrong people who dare to speculate, cheat, complot and steal and have luck on their side. Most of times they are not even close to representing the feelings and needs of the population, they just use and manipulate people as pawns of their own game of life. That's why civil responsibility must be promoted, like Morrissey intends to do with I Wish You Lonely, a song that reminds Howard Zinn's pledge on civil disobedience, as the right way to act when things go in the wrong way.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom