Morrissey - Complete Radio Sessions

Thanks for this IR - will be interesting to listen to.

I was only thinking this morning that it would be great to have a compilation of Morrissey interviews... does anyone fancy putting one together?

Dave

Thanks for this IR - will be interesting to listen to.

I was only thinking this morning that it would be great to have a compilation of Morrissey interviews... does anyone fancy putting one together?

Dave

Well, I do have a number of interviews in my HDD but this is by no means a complete collection.
It would require some patience (and time) to listen to them all back to back, right? :lbf:

By the way, the link I provided is to the music (20 tracks in total) and not to the interviews.

Cheers,

I.R.

IMHO, 1991 - 1997 due to Britpop and series of personal tragedies, Morrissey wasn't able to do UK radio sessions.

:confused::confused: WHy would Britpop and some personal tragedies prevent him from doing radio sessions? I seem to remember him being on Later With Jools Holland at least twice in this period? Which in essence is much the same thing except in front of some cameras.

I'd love to hear the Viva Hate radio session which Morrissey pulled. (The one where he memorably complained that they were treating him like some unsigned act from Poole)

Was any of it ever recorded or was it shelved prior to any track being laid down?

IMHO, 1991 - 1997 due to Britpop and series of personal tragedies, Morrissey wasn't able to do UK radio sessions.

This is a patently absurd assumption. Did you receive official proclamation of this reason in a letter from the man himself?

Both the Kill Uncle and Your Arsenal periods were very big for Morrissey; if there weren't radio promos it was probably due to a personal whim or a rigorous/incompatible schedule of other promotional commitments. Britpop had nothing to do with it. Alternative pop and mainstream culture a decade earlier -most of which was totally contradictory to Morrissey's music- were HUGE and it never stopped him from doing MASSIVE amounts of sessions and promotional work with The Smiths. When he felt like it.

As for the subsequent three solo records after Arsenal, well, the Britpop era/personal tragedies didn't stop him from appearing on Jools Holland's TV show, doing dozens of magazine press interviews, embarking on world tours, shooting promo clips, and doing a slew of in-store appearances and several radio interviews. And in America he DID do a radio session, for the modern Rock Live program.

And what "personal tragedies" are you talking about? Ronson and MacColl and Broad dying? Those events happened in a relatively small time frame of each other within the larger context of the 1991 - 1997 period of work Morrissey did. Do you really think he was like, "well, some people I am marginally close to died; I guess I better not do any radio sessions..."

Really?

No, it was probably for totally mundane reasons, i.e., the other commitments listed above. Or, if I really were to speculate, I'd say that looking back, the Southpaw/Maladjusted period was a somewhat difficult one for him careerwise/artistically. They were very good records but he's made no secret of the fact that he was somehwhat "lost" during that time and let's face it, every longterm recording artist has his natural "slump" period and that was his, thats' all. Doesn't mean the records were poor or that nobody wanted the music, but it's very feasible that he just didn't WANT to do radio sessions to promote them at the time. Who KNOWS what his reasons were. It's not like he's ever followed a pattern of traditional pop-star professionalism or of an open explanation of his actions when he DOES delineate.

But blaming some of his cats dying, or whatever you were referring to with the "personal tragedies" thing, or blaming the musical climate of the period is just ridiculous. When has the musical climate EVER been conducive to promoting his music?

Think before you speak next time.

Thanks for the radio sessions, IR! :thumb:

Cheers,

mbr.

Back
Top Bottom