Morrissey Calls for End to Ireland’s ‘Stale’ Fur Industry - PETA UK

Link mentioned by The Irish Hare in the Dublin post-show thread (original post):

Morrissey Calls for End to Ireland’s ‘Stale’ Fur Industry - PETA UK

MORRISSEY CALLS FOR END TO IRELAND’S ‘STALE’ FUR INDUSTRY

Ahead of Dublin Concert, Music Icon Asks Michael Creed to Ban Farms Where Minks Are Driven Insane Inside Tiny Cages

Dublin – Ahead of his concert on Tuesday at Dublin’s 3Arena, Morrissey has fired off a letter on behalf of PETA thanking Michael Creed, Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, for banning wild-animal circuses – and urging him to “continue on this progressive path by also outlawing fur farming”.

“Ireland has three fur farms, on which 200,000 minks are jammed into squalid cages and denied the opportunity to roam, swim, or care for their young,” writes Morrissey. “This confinement causes them such psychological distress that many go insane and mutilate themselves. They’re killed when they’re only about 6 months old – crammed by the dozens into a box and gassed to death. And for what? A stale ‘status symbol’ that nobody wants to wear any more.”

PETA – whose motto reads, in part, that “animals are not ours to wear” – notes that the UK, Austria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, and the Netherlands have all banned fur farming and that Norway announced its own ban just last month.

Morrissey’s full letter to Mr Creed is available here. For more information, please visit PETA.org.uk.

42273_18.02.19-Morrissey-Irish-fur-farm-letter.jpg

Media coverage:

Last edited:
Yet it doesn't bother him enough to not play Ireland. Canadians would be scratching their head if they didn't already know he's a total hypocrite.

Yet it doesn't bother him enough to not play Ireland. Canadians would be scratching their head if they didn't already know he's a total hypocrite.
There's got to be some financial reason to avoid Canada. I've never quite bought the official explanation in light of some of the places he chooses to play.

Been saying this for years. I live in the largest city in Canada and I've never clubbed a seal, seen a seal walking around, met anyone who has ever clubbed a seal, or anyone who would condone the practice for that matter. An extremely miniscule percentage of our indigenous population hunt seals for fur and meat. Our government can't get them to stop. Everyone hates the clubbing of seals.

Boycotting Canada for this is like him boycotting the USA because of Scientology. Everyone hates them and you would probably never one of them (aside from a kiosk at a mall), but nobody can do anything about it.

Two-faced money-grabbing racist wanker.

"As I prepare for my upcoming show at <ENTER VENUE NAME HERE>" whispered aside..."Will that do? That's where we're playing, right? How's ticket sales? Oh, I see. What do people know about me? Damien, take a letter..."

How many times are you gullible lackeys going to fall for this shtick?

Oh, and PETA are lying arseholes.

Last edited:
How can someone compare clubbing seals to Scientology eh you hoser? It's legal in Canadada to sell foi gras in restaurants and it's a big seller. It's also legal to sell seal and whale meat in Canadada. Not just indigenous people eat it. Stop trying to bring the USA into every bad topic you foreigners post about on this board. Uncle Steve can't boycott the country he lives in.

Two-faced money-grabbing racist wanker.

"As I prepare for my upcoming show at <ENTER VENUE NAME HERE>" whispered aside..."Will that do? That's where we're playing, right? How's ticket sales? Oh, I see. What do people know about me? Damien, take a letter..."

How many times are you gullible lackeys going to fall for this shtick?

Oh, and PETA are lying arseholes.
Don't say "money-grabbing" and comment on facial features in the same sentence, it's antisemitic. racist wanker.

How can someone compare clubbing seals to Scientology eh you hoser? It's legal in Canadada to sell foi gras in restaurants and it's a big seller. It's also legal to sell seal and whale meat in Canadada. Not just indigenous people eat it. Stop trying to bring the USA into every bad topic you foreigners post about on this board. Uncle Steve can't boycott the country he lives in.

This was too stupid to warrant a proper response so I will not bother.

Been saying this for years. I live in the largest city in Canada and I've never clubbed a seal, seen a seal walking around, met anyone who has ever clubbed a seal, or anyone who would condone the practice for that matter. An extremely miniscule percentage of our indigenous population hunt seals for fur and meat. Our government can't get them to stop. Everyone hates the clubbing of seals.

Boycotting Canada for this is like him boycotting the USA because of Scientology. Everyone hates them and you would probably never one of them (aside from a kiosk at a mall), but nobody can do anything about it.
Yes your government could do something about it. You are a democracy aren’t you?
They could make it illegal to Club seals to death. Make it an offence. Lock them up or fine them for doing it. Like other countries. Or yo could just do nothing and turn a blind eye....
Pilgrimupnorth

Do you really think these news outlets are gonna run a story about Moz opposing Mink murder?
Nope. It wouldn't fit the narrative of Moz being the bad guy.
Plus, a animal rights discussion might effect some of their advertising money.
Haha! Ya didn't think The Purified Turkey knew how the game was played, did ya?

Stoppin' all this Animal murder is a slow boulder, but in the end all these suckers will be crushed!
Ya gotta love Moz for always makin' the boulder roll some.

There's got to be some financial reason to avoid Canada. I've never quite bought the official explanation in light of some of the places he chooses to play.
Not playing Canada because of seal slaughter is crazy. Not playing Ireland because of fur farming would be crazy. The Moz fans are not to blame and shouldn't be penalised because of the greedy few in power and industry. Is Ireland to be considered "one of those places"? Don't you just love knee jerk reactions?

Not playing Canada because of seal slaughter is crazy. Not playing Ireland because of fur farming would be crazy. The Moz fans are not to blame and shouldn't be penalised because of the greedy few in power and industry. Is Ireland to be considered "one of those places"? Don't you just love knee jerk reactions?
Japan has a great time slaughtering whales until the water itself appears to be pure blood, yet he plays there. Seriously. There has to be a financial motivation. Higher taxes, lower pay, some sort of red tape that irritated him at one point or another. And if you were making a wry statement on Israel in there, I caught it. Intentional or no.

As usual :sleeping: it's ALWAYS a festival of speculation on this site, speculations that can never be proven to be true and fact, unless Morrissey himself clears up this issue with a statement of why he boycotts Canada and not other countries for similar crimes against animals.

Japan has a great time slaughtering whales until the water itself appears to be pure blood, yet he plays there. Seriously. There has to be a financial motivation. Higher taxes, lower pay, some sort of red tape that irritated him at one point or another. And if you were making a wry statement on Israel in there, I caught it. Intentional or no.

As usual :sleeping: it's ALWAYS a festival of speculation on this site, speculations that can never be proven to be true and fact, unless Morrissey himself clears up this issue with a statement of why he boycotts Canada and not other countries for similar crimes against animals.
I'm glad you're getting plenty of beauty sleep, K. :p
Seriously though- it's either hypocrisy, or a lame excuse for something else. The lame excuse would be easier to swallow. Maybe he's got a paralyzing phobia of Tim Horton's and politeness.

I'm glad you're getting plenty of beauty sleep, K. :p
Seriously though- it's either hypocrisy, or a lame excuse for something else. The lame excuse would be easier to swallow. Maybe he's got a paralyzing phobia of Tim Horton's and politeness.

we can't as of yet say that's true, just more speculation. :sleeping:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom