Morrissey backs proposed NYC fur ban ahead of his Lunt-Fontanne Theater residency - AMNewYork

Morrissey backs proposed NYC fur ban ahead of his Lunt-Fontanne Theater residency - am New York
"As in New York, stores in England have been caught selling real dog and cat fur from China falsely labeled as fake," the singer wrote to City Council Speaker Corey Johnson.

By: Lisa L. Colangelo - 2 May, 2019

Morrissey sent a letter to City Council Speaker Corey Johnson on Wednesday, praising him for proposing a ban on fur.

The proposed ban on selling fur in New York City is getting some high-profile help from British rock legend Morrissey.

The outspoken singer, vegan and animal rights activist pledged to mobilize fans who attend his weeklong residency at the Lunt-Fontanne Theater, which kicks off Thursday.

Staffers from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) will host a table at the theater and connect fans with their local City Council members so they can urge them to vote for the ban.

Morrissey sent a letter to City Council Speaker Corey Johnson on Wednesday, praising him for proposing the ban and noted a similar measure is being considered in the U.K.

“As in New York, stores in England have been caught selling real dog and cat fur from China falsely labeled as fake,” he wrote to Johnson.
“It’s time to rid the racks of the stuff in order to protect all fashion victims, both human and nonhuman.”

The bill, set for a hearing on May 15 at City Hall, would ban the sale of fur apparel in the city. There are exceptions for used fur and fur that is worn for religious customs.

The fur industry has geared up its own campaign to fight the ban, saying it would have “devastating consequences” for the city’s fashion economy and jeopardize thousands of jobs.

"I am an animal lover, and truly believe it is cruel to kill an animal just for the purpose of people wearing a fur coat,"

Johnson said in a statement, thanking Morrissey. "The proposal reflects an ever-growing consensus in the fashion industry that the use of fur is not ethical, and it encourages innovation in the industry."

Johnson pointed out many designers have promised to stop using fur while others, like Stella McCartney, have a long history of not using fur products.

Morrissey has a long history of supporting animal rights and has addressed those issues in songs, during concerts and in press interviews. In 1985, when he was lead singer for “The Smiths,” the band released an album titled “Meat is Murder.”

In more recent years he has shown shocking footage of factory farms and slaughterhouses at his performances. While on tour in Canada last month, Morrissey worked with PETA on its campaign to persuade Canada Goose to stop using down and fur in its coats.

https://www.amny.com/entertainment/celebrities/fur-ban-nyc-morrissey-1.30521633

image.jpg

Article reproduced in full due to regional viewing restrictions.
Regards,
FWD.

Update:

Full letter and new article here:
"
Dear Mr. Johnson,
I was so happy to hear of your bill to ban the sale of fur that I have asked PETA to enlist New Yorkers at my concerts this week to urge their council members to support it. Back home, a similar effort is underway in Parliament to ban fur sales throughout the U.K. As in New York, stores in England have been caught selling real dog and cat fur from China falsely labeled as fake. It's time to rid the racks of the stuff in order to protect all fashion victims, both human and nonhuman. Keep up the good work.
Sincerely,
Morrissey

Last edited by a moderator:
I think “I Wish You Lonely” is the best song he has ever written. f***ing awesome!

The end of that song can make me cry.

And there you have it for the 999th time. Tickets not selling, name in news, please buy more tickets.

Money, money, money. Every single time. On the back of an appeal about animal cruelty.

The shameless, grabbing bastard.

And there you have it for the 999th time. Tickets not selling, name in news, please buy more tickets.

Money, money, money. Every single time. On the back of an appeal about animal cruelty.

A pop star you hate is a fraud, and you have pointed it out to the 27 people in the world who occasionally visit this website. Well done you, young fellow - a brilliant use of your time!

If you were almost 60 and were flat-out desperate to sell more tickets on your upcoming tour, would you:

(a) write letters to local city politicians about banning fur, or

(b) drop endless hints that these are the last concerts you're likely to play for a long while due to your age, health, etc.

If you were almost 60 and were flat-out desperate to sell more tickets on your upcoming tour, would you:

(a) write letters to local city politicians about banning fur, or

(b) drop endless hints that these are the last concerts you're likely to play for a long while due to your age, health, etc.

He dropped hints about last shows in the UK back in 2015 but then did others?

He dropped hints about last shows in the UK back in 2015 but then did others?

You're right - I'm just saying, if his sole focus here was on being a money grabbing bastard, some kind of endless but not quite "final tour" would be a much better way of achieving that goal...

You're right - I'm just saying, if his sole focus here was on being a money grabbing bastard, some kind of endless but not quite "final tour" would be a much better way of achieving that goal...

The ozzy method. If he wanted to sell tickets as his bottom line he’d do a your arsenal or viva hate album tour or even a smiths album tour. He could have reunified when Johnny suggested instead we of ghosting him. He could be a model in ads or put all his songs into McDonald’s commercials. He could write a smiths tell all to follow autobiography. Many people wonder why people don’t spill the beans on morrissey and give details about his behavior but people don’t seem to acknowledge that maybes he’s been a nice guy as well about not spilling there issues

He has championed animal rights from day one as you well know, so shameless, grabbing bastard no.

A Vauxhall 25th anniversary Tour would sell well but Moz plays it his way. Always the less easy road, but that’s why he remains such a vital force in popular music.

Being focused on selling out seats/publicity/being provocative might have some correlation, but if it was just about money, I would have expected new items (and the entire back catalogue) to be marketed and sold in a much better way than they have been doing. Not to mention the negative impact comments can have on said seating & product sales - hardly the actions of someone entirely money-minded?
Points make prizes...
Regards,
FWD.

Imagine a Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I tour. Both albums straight through, with 15 minutes of videos in between. Then a two-song encore.

That would certainly sell well, I think. Contrary to an above post, no one going to a Morrissey show is thinking to themselves "I really hope I hear 'I Wish You Lonely' tonight!"

Morrissey Will Recruit Fans During Broadway Residency to Help Pass NYC Fur Ban

"Dear Mr. Johnson,

I was so happy to hear of your bill to ban the sale of fur that I have asked PETA to enlist New Yorkers at my concerts this week to urge their council members to support it. Back home, a similar effort is underway in Parliament to ban fur sales throughout the U.K. As in New York, stores in England have been caught selling real dog and cat fur from China falsely labeled as fake. It's time to rid the racks of the stuff in order to protect all fashion victims, both human and nonhuman. Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Morrissey

https://www.broadwayworld.com/artic...y-Residency-to-Help-Pass-NYC-Fur-Ban-20190502

Nothing new added really, but the quoted letter in full.

PETA posted the same thing:

https://www.peta.org/media/news-rel...way-residency-to-help-get-nyc-fur-ban-passed/
Regards,
FWD.

I think “I Wish You Lonely” is the best song he has ever written. f***ing awesome!

The end of that song can make me cry.
get a fucin life. Have u heard Robert pant, if anyone deserves a sore throat its him Awesome irene

Being focused on selling out seats/publicity/being provocative might have some correlation, but if it was just about money, I would have expected new items (and the entire back catalogue) to be marketed and sold in a much better way than they have been doing. Not to mention the negative impact comments can have on said seating & product sales - hardly the actions of someone entirely money-minded?
Points make prizes...
Regards,
FWD.

You know as well as I do that releases don't sell, and the money is made on tour. It's not 1986 anymore.

You know as well as I do that releases don't sell, and the money is made on tour. It's not 1986 anymore.
You are indeed correct P.
That said, a digital stream album, digital MP3 album, CD, Blue vinyl & black vinyl of California Son aren't about to be touted for zero return - so why harm their chances?
Regards,
FWD.

That said, a digital stream album, digital MP3 album, CD, Blue vinyl & black vinyl of California Son aren't about to be touted for zero return.
Regards,
FWD.

Gotta sell something, intcha? Can't have a contract that says you're gonna sell nowt.

That said, a digital stream album, digital MP3 album, CD, Blue vinyl & black vinyl of California Son aren't about to be touted for zero return.
Regards,
FWD.

thats right:thumb:

dont let the skinny twats point their finger at your nose:rock:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom