Morrissey announces new album, 'California Son', for March 2019 - Folha

Via translate:
Morrissey announces new album, 'California Son', for March 2019.
The album will have twelve tracks and was recorded by the same producer of The Strokes and U2.

João Perassolo
João Paulo Martins
SAO PAUILO
Singer-songwriter Morrissey, a former lead singer of the English band The Smiths , first laid out details of their new album, which will be released in March 2019.

In an interview with Folha , the British said that the album will be called "California Son" and will bring twelve songs written by a collection of American composers.

The album was produced by Joe Chicarelli - who has worked with names like The Strokes, U2 and Elton John - and recorded at the famous Sunset Sound studio in Los Angeles. "Joe brought in a lot of new musicians and we experimented with a lot of sounds. Everything went fantastically well and we are proud, "said the singer.
The album will feature the participation of singer Laura Pergolizzi, better known as LP, in two tracks. She has written songs for Rihanna and Christina Aguilera.

In April of this year, Morrissey announced on its website that it had completed recordings of a new single, also at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles.

It's "Back on the Chain Gang," written by Chrissie Hynde and recorded by The Pretenders in 1982. The song, which has been played live by Morrissey since 2017, is likely to be part of the new album.

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/amp/i...disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019.shtml

Also via Bemparana (same story):
https://www.bemparana.com.br/noticia/morrissey-anuncia-novo-disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019
And Ricmais (same story):
https://ricmais.com.br/sc/noticias/morrissey-anuncia-novo-disco-california-son-para-marco-de-2019

You saw it here first with actual credited sources.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
And neither is he a composer. He hasn't composed a note of music in his life. He has to work with musicians to a) write the music and ) b play it. It's a bit ridiculous calling him a songwriter, but 'composer' would be effing bonkers.
He composes the vocal melodies. There is a surprising amount of musical skill required for this. Try listening to any of the instrumental versions of Smiths/Morrissey tracks that have emerged over the years and try thinking, 'where would I go with that?' I have tried this myself, and I have musical training. I guarantee it will be nothing like what Morrissey came up with.

Blikey wacker thick c*** mate. In calling the album California Son, Air Morrissey is referencing himself. You people think this is going to be a Beach Boys tribute? The Ramones ripped off The Rivieras anyways with California SUN not SON. Me reckon Aunt Nancy mentioned the title to him after they finished f***ing and were eating Aunt Nancy's famous spaghetti with marinara sauce and chocolate chip cookies for desert all sweaty on the sun deck looking at their view of the Pacific mate inn n nn n n din't inn n it. Aunt Nancy's California Girl album is a great album with songs about California that Uncle Steve has always had on his playlist. You can hear the similarities in Aunt Nancy's version of Hotel California to "I'm not Sorry" and "How are things in California" to "throwing my arms around Paris"

You are always so astute, accurate and insightful about Moz's daily life its almost like you are him. But after forensic examination the Marinara sauce reference let you down as we all know he doesn't like garlic.

Just found an auction of a Morrissey worn ADIDAS jacket offered by someone known to the community (see marketplace forum).
The letter 'authenticating' it mentions a covers album:

M2.jpg

Make of it what you will.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Just found an auction of a Morrissey worn ADIDAS jacket offered by someone known to the community (see marketplace forum).
The letter 'authenticating' it mentions a covers album:

View attachment 46171

Make of it what you will.
Regards,
FWD.

I know nothing about this or the seller whatsoever, but the tone and phrasing of the letter doesn't ring quite true with me. I could be completely wrong, of course.

I don't know... The tone sounds on par with the Russell Brand emails but it could be a gross parody.
View attachment 46173
View attachment 46172 View attachment 46174 View attachment 46175 View attachment 46176 View attachment 46177
These are great! And genuine... As well as being funny, there's always some wonky, random weirdness with Morrissey's writing which is pretty hard to replicate, hence it's the thing the fakers never manage to capture. It's kind of like his own built-in watermark to catch the forgers out. Clever old Moz.

Last edited:
I don't know... The tone sounds on par with the Russell Brand emails but it could be a gross parody.
View attachment 46173
View attachment 46172 View attachment 46174 View attachment 46175 View attachment 46176 View attachment 46177

I don't know - they are much funnier! The letter seems rather bland and unimaginative in comparison. The signoff seems a bit too serious and "sincere" for instance. But, you never know, it could be Morrissey just being more informal with his guard down and not trying too hard. He clearly suspected the emails were going to published, it seems. Anyway, thanks for those.

He composes the vocal melodies. There is a surprising amount of musical skill required for this. Try listening to any of the instrumental versions of Smiths/Morrissey tracks that have emerged over the years and try thinking, 'where would I go with that?' I have tried this myself, and I have musical training. I guarantee it will be nothing like what Morrissey came up with.
exactly. Anyone who read Songs That Saved Your Life knows how he was given a relatively ready instrumental track and then he would pop up at the studio with the finest lyrics and vocals on top just to stun everyone in the room.

Morrissey should cover Home Sick by The Cure not that it would ever happen also on a seperate note Unmade by Thom Yorke on the Susperia soundtrack sounds like asleep have a listen and compare the two
I am listening to Unmade....ridiculous....why did he do that???? it's very asleep-sy.... you can tell from the beginning...

Not that he did it in bad faith, but this is soooo ridiculous...some notes are just the same...

Via translate:
Morrissey announces new album, 'California Son', for March 2019.
The album will have twelve tracks and was recorded by the same producer of The Strokes and U2.

João Perassolo
João Paulo Martins
SAO PAUILO
Singer-songwriter Morrissey, a former lead singer of the English band The Smiths , first laid out details of their new album, which will be released in March 2019.

In an interview with Folha , the British said that the album will be called "California Son" and will bring twelve songs written by a collection of American composers.

Great news. Covers like "Redondo Beach" fabulous. I'm sure most of the album isn't overly familiar songs either.

You are always so astute, accurate and insightful about Moz's daily life its almost like you are him. But after forensic examination the Marinara sauce reference let you down as we all know he doesn't like garlic.

Reckon I don't know about that m8. Dude eats spaghetti for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and even tried to make a spaghetti taco for Taco Tuesday at the Sunset Marquis. I reckon at the Isle of Lucy Festival in 1982 when The Smiths opened for Kajagoogoo, I was backstage and when Uncle Steve started to sweat, he smelled like garlic and parmesan cheese inn nn n n din't in n nn n it.

Also many musicians and producers Morrissey has worked with have said in countless interviews that he has had a lot to do with the arrangement of his songs such as piano intros/outros, strings etc... To put him down just as a lyricist one is making it clear they know very little about how Morrissey goes about constructing his songs.

Also many musicians and producers Morrissey has worked with have said in countless interviews that he has had a lot to do with the arrangement of his songs such as piano intros/outros, strings etc... To put him down just as a lyricist one is making it clear they know very little about how Morrissey goes about constructing his songs.
Yes, exactly. Also, I have heard many musicians/producers comment on his unconventional way of constructing a song from an instrumental track - leaving gaps where they had expected vocals, putting verses where choruses were supposed to be, refusing to repeat sections that 'ought' to be repeated and asking for other sections to be extended. Johnny Marr commented on this unique approach in recent interviews, wryly describing Morrissey as 'the little Dickens' for the confusion it caused. But to my mind, that's just as much 'composing' as writing the instrumental track.

I suggest he sticks to being a pop star performer instead of dabbling in racist politics.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Now, now Bejaminger, don't go commenting on things you don't fully understand. You just stick to emojis and silly comments...

Yes, exactly. Also, I have heard many musicians/producers comment on his unconventional way of constructing a song from an instrumental track - leaving gaps where they had expected vocals, putting verses where choruses were supposed to be, refusing to repeat sections that 'ought' to be repeated and asking for other sections to be extended. Johnny Marr commented on this unique approach in recent interviews, wryly describing Morrissey as 'the little Dickens' for the confusion it caused. But to my mind, that's just as much 'composing' as writing the instrumental track.
All good points that I thought were common knowledge but apparently not that common. There's some interesting words spoken about the process in this video, especially Clive langer at 40:43

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom