Morrissey and Alain Whyte writing songs together again

Mike Rourke

I thought this deserved its own thread but feel free to merge if not.
Alain's written more songs with Morrissey than anyone else (including JM Marr) - around 70 compared with Marr's 65 or so.
Guess we all thought they wouldn't be writing together again.
The last album he played on was Ringleader (2006), the last album he wrote songs for was Refusal in 2009.
It's a fascinating development, the willingness to work with a past collaborator again.
I wonder if Alain's lockdown sessions are partly what brought them back together.

I believe that previous 'surprises' were in reference to old band members joining him on new material which took place, but became hampered by supply difficulties.
And edit: just saw the interview.
Which I'd say is no surprise given their proximity to each other recently and how much 'reaching out' Alain was seen to be doing.
Regards,
FWD.

Looks like Alain's relentless youtubing achieved its intended goal. Looking forward to seeing what comes out of the renewed collaboration.

Given some of Alain's solo tracks were repurposed for 'You are the Quarry' ('Not Bitter But Bored' = 'Irish Blood' etc) I wonder if the same will be true this time? Maybe some of his future Moz collaborations are already out there?

I hope Alain also plays guitar and is doing backing vocals on the 2022/2023 album.
Don't do it Refusal style.

Repeat post as it's relevant here:

Screenshot_20210706-002230~2.png

FWD.

Repeat post as it's relevant here:

View attachment 73888

FWD.

Guess he had to wait for Morrissey to reveal this news before he could.

Respect.

In regards to why Morrissey has changed his mind and decided to
work with Alain again, it’s all opinions until we hear his answer to that question, if it’s ever asked.

But I do think that Morrissey is more open to change than we’d give him credit for.

I just hope we get to hear those songs.

:)

Alain showed respect towards Moz mum. Redeeming himself(y)

🇭🇷>:hammer:

Again, I would like to see Alain as one of the musicians who also plays on the songs he is collaborating on. I didn't recordnize his songs on Refusal without his playing. He proofed, that he still knows how to write Morrissey songs 90s style. Remembering the autobiography where Morrissey was irritated, when Alain wanted to appear on the front cover of releases? I think Alain still wants to be a successful solo artist on his own and thinks he can do it.

Guess he had to wait for Morrissey to reveal this news before he could.

Respect.

In regards to why Morrissey has changed his mind and decided to
work with Alain again, it’s all opinions until we hear his answer to that question, if it’s ever asked.

But I do think that Morrissey is more open to change than we’d give him credit for.

I just hope we get to hear those songs.
My only mistake is I’m…

Again, I would like to see Alain as one of the musicians who also plays on the songs he is collaborating on. I didn't recordnize his songs on Refusal without his playing. He proofed, that he still knows how to write Morrissey songs 90s style. Remembering the autobiography where Morrissey was irritated, when Alain wanted to appear on the front cover of releases? I think Alain still wants to be a successful solo artist on his own and thinks he can do it.
I cannot speak for the man, but perhaps performing on the songs doesn't matter to Alain as much as it would to fans. The songwriting royalties are really where it's at. He has his own thing going after all and seems more than happy with the direction thus far. I do think there was more color and texture to Alain's instrumental work and solo recordings than much of his Morrissey work so it'd be interesting to see what he would bring to new recordings and, for that matter, if any of it comes to fruition, in terms of what actually gets recorded/how much he is involved in the recordings as well as how it may affect his solo venture morphing into a band. For instance, Spencer had some VERY definitive opinions of latter-day Morrissey to the extent that he left Instagram and hasn't returned. Would that test a renewed working relationship with Alain?

Much probably also depends on how much "room" is allotted for both Alain and Jesse in the recordings. Morrissey obviously regards Jesse as a friend and, as far as any members of the band, he occupies probably the closest thing to the type of social relationship JM had with Morrissey. Even though he's generally been accorded a higher level of respect than the average band member, Boz has been at arm's length to a certain degree and has seemed somewhat relegated in recent years.

Obviously, we don't know much about the details but it might be interesting if this gets treated more like a side-project, "Morrissey & Whyte," or maybe a 4-5 track EP... as opposed to tracks that get placed on an album with other collaborators.

@Mike Rourke, same thought... maybe Morrissey was touched by Alain's lockdown sessions? Alain clearly has pride and respect for the work he's done with Morrissey.

I cannot speak for the man, but perhaps performing on the songs doesn't matter to Alain as much as it would to fans.

Isn't that the reason why they split up in the first place? Rumors were that Alain wanted to play on his Refusal co-writes but wasn't allowed.

Of course, the upcoming project won't be called Morrissey meets Whyte or anything like that. Alain lives until today mainly from the royalties of his successful collaboration with Morrissey. It still comes from a time when with physical recordings real money was earned, which would be enough for a decent life in LA. A solo career of Whyte existed only in a miniature cosmos. The vinyl EPs, an expensive and nice fun that hardly reached people. The songs are decent but his lead voice is not enough for a solo career. He now defiantly says he's going two-track, but the hope is that he'll return to the fold.
Morrissey had contact with Street, which broke off again. He met for a beer with Marr and didn't pick up the thread again. He let Day and Spencer come and go as it suited, and he spoke in his autobiography of tensions between Boz and Alain and (indirectly) Alain's too great urge to want to play a leading role. He continued to work with the Smiths even though they were already legally at loggerheads with him (Rourke, Joyce & Gannon). He leaves his regular band, with whom he has been going through extremely hard times for years, almost in unison on the latest studio production. No, Morrissey's professional relationships are very indifferent and hard to assess from a distance. Like every human being, he will also react vainly and offended if things come crosswise to him. Therefore: Alain had just tried to position himself with ex-Morrissey comrades-in-arms, whom Morrissey would probably never engage again as a musician, and now they come together again. It is and remains a small sensation.

Of course, the upcoming project won't be called Morrissey meets Whyte or anything like that. Alain lives until today mainly from the royalties of his successful collaboration with Morrissey. It still comes from a time when with physical recordings real money was earned, which would be enough for a decent life in LA. A solo career of Whyte existed only in a miniature cosmos. The vinyl EPs, an expensive and nice fun that hardly reached people. The songs are decent but his lead voice is not enough for a solo career. He now defiantly says he's going two-track, but the hope is that he'll return to the fold.
Morrissey had contact with Street, which broke off again. He met for a beer with Marr and didn't pick up the thread again. He let Day and Spencer come and go as it suited, and he spoke in his autobiography of tensions between Boz and Alain and (indirectly) Alain's too great urge to want to play a leading role. He continued to work with the Smiths even though they were already legally at loggerheads with him (Rourke, Joyce & Gannon). He leaves his regular band, with whom he has been going through extremely hard times for years, almost in unison on the latest studio production. No, Morrissey's professional relationships are very indifferent and hard to assess from a distance. Like every human being, he will also react vainly and offended if things come crosswise to him. Therefore: Alain had just tried to position himself with ex-Morrissey comrades-in-arms, whom Morrissey would probably never engage again as a musician, and now they come together again. It is and remains a small sensation.

Alain also wrote songs that appeared on multi million selling albums for other artists such as Madonna, Black Eyed Peas and Cheryl Cole, he probably earns decent money for royalties off those albums as well.

This new collaboration is an attempt for Moz to get a record deal. He is negociating for a 2 albums deal and he is promising Whyte successes for the next one . Clever…
Forget Bonfire , remember Quarry

Back
Top Bottom