Morrissey A-Z: "Who Will Protect Us from the Police?"

A strong contender for the worst song he's ever released - a musical dirge, with lazy, artless lyrics. Should never have been released. And this is on the album Morrissey himself ranks as his greatest? Jesus wept - in comparison this makes 'Tony the Pony' look like high art. :sick: [1 out of 10]

Venezuela? We think he's referring to every Saturday on the Blackfriars/Chapel Street/Deansgate triangle of brutality from around 1976 through to the early 1990s. Goodness, it was a rough city back then.

Morrissey looks from his ivory tower to Venezuela, has had bad experiences with the police himself and gets involved.
You can do that, but you don't have to like it.
Let's face it - the horrors of Venezuelan police brutality pale in comparison to the outrage of Moz and Sam being pulled over for driving the wrong way down a one-way street in Rome. :lbf:

An absolutely dreadful song which nevertheless manages to astonish with every single listen: ‘Did Morrissey actually pen that, and commit it to record?’

Strangely, when I saw him sing it at Leeds in 2018 he produced an extraordinarily good vocal performance for its rendition. Compensation perhaps?

Let's face it - the horrors of Venezuelan police brutality pale in comparison to the outrage of Moz and Sam being pulled over for driving the wrong way down a one-way street in Rome. :lbf:
OMG, it was so bad and so hard to bear. Bruises all over!

Last edited:
An absolutely dreadful song which nevertheless manages to astonish with every single listen: ‘Did Morrissey actually pen that, and commit it to record?’

Strangely, when I saw him sing it at Leeds in 2018 he produced an extraordinarily good vocal performance for its rendition. Compensation perhaps?
So you like it then ?

You need it turn it up louder to feel the power...sod the neighbours!
I’m doing it: there’s no doubting the blast of the bombast. Apart from the signposting siren, at the start, I quite like the music.

Initially, the Venezuela reference saved me from writing this off as complete pointless trite.
I must admit - living in victoria, australia, and seeing a recent rise in police brutality and mandates (they literally tried to pass a no-fly zone over the city so press helicopters couldn't film police brutality against anti-lockdown protesters) has turned this into a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

'We must pay for what we believe...'

am I wrong in interpenetrating a shred of self-awareness?

Last edited:
I’m doing it: there’s no doubting the blast of the bombast. Apart from the signposting siren, at the start, I quite like the music.
So, is it reasonably safe to assume that you now sense the power, of the singer, & within the hour the power could totally convert you, (& it could save your life)?

Who Will Protect Us From Duran Duran?
I was listening to their 81 album just yersterday and it was most enjoyable.
Stopped buying their 7" when "The Reflex" came out.

Attachments

• 20211003_155204.jpg
    20211003_155204.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211003_155215.jpg
    20211003_155215.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 0
Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom