Morrissey A-Z: "We'll Let You Know"

40 seconds? What's your secret? My missus friend would like to know.

I cannot add anything to the above - it is a remarkable piece of music which made me stop my car the first time I heard it. A truly moving and heartfelt lyric matched by evocative and beautiful music. Perfection.

And the songs we sing
They're not supposed to mean a thing
La-la-la-la, la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

This song moves me on so many levels.

There are two angles to approach this one.

To attack - Millionaires singing about hooliganism and the mindset of the socially unheard is just exploitation in order to have a subject to sing about. Morrissey would never in reality be anywhere near people like this because he hates conflict in real life.

To praise - I walked in these crowds and with these characters. I know them personally and he does a great job of summing them up. Maybe because he was a target of them at one point?

I think Ronon’s production gave the music the rough and though edges needed to accompany the British working class / skinheads culture theme. Simple wonderful..
He was so quintessential british than. Now he is a California Son and sings about hot kisses in mammy's backyard and High Schools. Don't tell me it's the same. It isn't and I am not even British, like Benny f.e.

I really think you’re far too good for this Mr Shandy. It’s time to live and not exist
You’re the last, truly British, woman I do not know.
Oh, my dear. I'll explain again: we're a couple - Mr Shandy and myself, Mr Shandy.

In interviews (remember those?) Morrissey would mention this among his favorites from his work. It's easy to see why. While I've always liked it, I've come to appreciate it far more over the years. I could wax nostalgic about this song representing a Morrissey that's long gone. I suppose that was inevitable, but maybe with Alain back in the fold, we'll get some new gems? I also agree that it worked surprisingly well in Mid-90s. 10/10.

He was so quintessential british than. Now he is a California Son and sings about hot kisses in mammy's backyard and High Schools. Don't tell me it's the same. It isn't and I am not even British, like Benny f.e.
YA is certainly the album with the highest number of songs dedicated to the last truly British ppeople you will ever know.
Who would have thought at that time that Morrissey would one day turn his back on good old England?

In interviews (remember those?) Morrissey would mention this among his favorites from his work. It's easy to see why. While I've always liked it, I've come to appreciate it far more over the years. I could wax nostalgic about this song representing a Morrissey that's long gone. I suppose that was inevitable, but maybe with Alain back in the fold, we'll get some new gems? I also agree that it worked surprisingly well in Mid-90s. 10/10.
But Alain has also lived in LA for many years now, so he’s also been subjected to Californication.

YA is certainly the album with the highest number of songs dedicated to the last truly British ppeople you will ever know.
Who would have thought at that time that Morrissey would one day turn his back on good old England?
Maybe the Madstock disaster of 92 was the first bigger bruise he had to take from flirting with the Union Jack and being refused by a quintessential british crowd. His friends Suggs n Cash Smash couldn't protect him either.

Can anyone really turn their back on something that’s so interiorized?

Isn’t Morrissey’s ‘good old England’ or his idea of what Britain is or was, and to think of its ‘passing’ as a loss, (sure many wouldn’t) did it ever really exist out side of his mind ? I mean, his romanticized view of it? My take is, he’ll take England or his idea of it wherever he hangs his hat.

Can anyone really turn their back on something that’s so interiorized?

Isn’t Morrissey’s ‘good old England’ or his idea of what Britain is or was, and to think of its ‘passing’ as a loss, (sure many wouldn’t) did it ever really exist out side of his mind ? I mean, his romanticized view of it? My take is, he’ll take England or his idea of it wherever he hangs his hat.

Yes, it existed.....upto about the 80's in most places outside of the big cities.

Yes, it existed.....upto about the 80's in most places outside of the big cities.

Can you describe what ‘it’ was in contrast to ‘it’ no longer existing?

And do you consider it’s passing a loss, and why is that?

Madness

Interesting section on 'skinhead controversy'.
Difficult terrain. Orginally Red Skins appeared on 2 tone concerts but then again, the described incident sounds like a Combat 84 happening. In 92 there were still Skins in the audience, as far as I am informed. A toxic wotking class crowd with Reggae supporters (Jimmy Cliff's "The harder they come" was the single release from that concert), 2 Toners and Mods. Not everyone was ready for Morrissey at that point.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom