Morrissey A-Z: "Tony the Pony"

Those were the days when bonus tracks were included on the CD as an incentive to buy. Younger Spotify users won't quite remember. After the second half of Kill Uncle is really very quiet and dignified, this light little pop song is a nice counterpoint (for CD listeners in 1991). I always liked it and can still enjoy listening to it today.
I thought that was only the American CD edition? The one with orange lettering. Mine doesn't have Tony on it.

One of his weakest tracks . Totally not fitting as the closing of the Kill Uncle album ( luckily the Japanese release I have doesn't include this song ) But of course still much better than Thelma Houston groans .

As someone said earlier, I’d written this song off , I had as well, I’ve now heard it 3-4 times over the last couple of days and it really has grown on me..

The guitars are lovely, yes a bit repetitive but sometimes I like that in a song.
Haven’t a clue about the lyrics or who or what they refer to

It's what it is...a slightly daft, little bit dull, throwaway b-side that doesn't merit too much analysis...but still makes for an interesting and diverting 4+ minutes every now and then. It's still better than most of LiHS (shudder).

It’ s a good thing that he’ll never play it live, there are far better songs to play.

then why doesn’t he play them ?

;)

I thought that was only the American CD edition? The one with orange lettering. Mine doesn't have Tony on it.
Yes, that is my impression too. The American company were wary of the album's very short length, so that's why they added Tony the Pony. Well, it could have been worse -- they might have chosen Journalists Who Lie.

Yes, that is my impression too. The American company were wary of the album's very short length, so that's why they added Tony the Pony. Well, it could have been worse -- they might have chosen Journalists Who Lie.
It’s included on the Canadian cd releases and some (not all) US cd pressings. It doesn’t appear on any of the US cassette releases.

Always been a favorite and one I still revisit now and then. While maybe not the strongest musically, I like Morrissey's vocals and the condemnatory yet sympathetic tone he uses for poor misguided Tony.

While originally a bonus track on some KU versions, I actually find it stronger than some of the material on KU... though not sure where it would fit as a proper album track? I think it definitely would have been well received as a b-side of the era.

Finally, this as far as I know was never performed live... I remember seeing it erroneously listed on a bootleg circa 1991/92... glad I was able to listen before buying to see that it was actually Our Frank and not Tony the Pony. Maybe @Famous when dead knows the boot in question?

7/10

i have memories of being on acid walking around in the winter for hours and listening to this over and over and over again so i am VERY fond of this song!
My Morrissey LSD song was Girl Least Likely To

Always been a favorite and one I still revisit now and then. While maybe not the strongest musically, I like Morrissey's vocals and the condemnatory yet sympathetic tone he uses for poor misguided Tony.

While originally a bonus track on some KU versions, I actually find it stronger than some of the material on KU... though not sure where it would fit as a proper album track? I think it definitely would have been well received as a b-side of the era.

Finally, this as far as I know was never performed live... I remember seeing it erroneously listed on a bootleg circa 1991/92... glad I was able to listen before buying to see that it was actually Our Frank and not Tony the Pony. Maybe @Famous when dead knows the boot in question?

7/10
It rings a bell.
The Internet is bereft of info. though.
Of the silver discs I own (and there's a lot), I can't say it jumps out.
The Morrissey stuff tends to be better labelled than Smiths stuff, but that isn't always saying much - I will add it to the 'keep an eye out' list - hopefully it wasn't a home-produced/labelled one as that will make it very difficult to track.
Regards,
FWD.

:)

Moz Masterpiece.(y) since the Jap rarity does not have the song,
maybe the nutter can protest to the newspaper and have it put on another album. BWD or
World Peace:crazy:

:hammer:

Mark E Nevin has described this song as his favourite Morrissey co-write and I can see why. It’s a beauty. Some lovely guitar jangle, a super-melodic bassline, a beautiful cello part, a wistful lyric, a punchy rhythm, some great vocal gymnastics from Mr M, and he does that favourite trick of his where he makes ‘you’ rhyme by pronouncing it ‘yer’. The definition of underrated!

then why doesn’t he play them ?

;)
Well, he does play plenty of better songs live. But when it comes to songs that he has never or rarely performer, I can think of Southpaw, Honey, The edges are no longer parallel, Driving your girlfriend home, Christian Dior, My love life or Shame is the name joined by his friend Chrissie onstage, Forgive someone, Dog as superior choices.

Last edited:
:)

Moz Masterpiece.(y) since the Jap rarity does not have the song,
maybe the nutter can protest to the newspaper and have it put on another album. BWD or
World Peace:crazy:

:hammer:
What does BWD stand for? Do you know?

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom